DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:30 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: carwow comparison site.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:15 am 

Hi,

Bron and I are considering upgrading to a Skoda Yeti trading in our lovely Fabia Monte Carlo. Our local Skoda dealership DM Keith is having a special VIP event this weekend where the showroom is closed to the general public and only invited VIP's are allowed to attend; Bron and I have received our badges and invitation and are booked in for 10:30 am tomorrow.

I've been browsing the web for best new Yeti deals and I came across a website called "carwow" at first I was undecided whether to sign up to carwow giving my email address but decided to give it a go.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/

I'm amazed by how good carwow is; I've never tried using one of these car comparison sites previously. Within a day I had five genuine offers of a new Yeti from genuine Skoda dealerships but for the same spec Yeti the prices were interesting;

Cheapest but 188 miles away was £17,220.

Doncaster just over 23 miles away best for us at £17,360.

Most expensive 153 miles away at £18,718 (In his dreams).

These being cash sales but part exchanges are taken.

When we bought the Monte we just traded in our Aygo and signed up for the Monte without shopping around; the deal seemed fair but this time before I attend the event tomorrow I'm more streetwise; I wish Bron could go with me but she is unwell at the moment suffering a cold and cough.

I contacted the dealership in Doncaster it being Hayselden Skoda through carwow and we've exchanged a couple of messages; I fully explained our position and depending on what happens tomorrow Hayselden will be happy to deal with us. We don't have any problems with DM Keith at all in fact we bought the Monte from them so I'm confident they should at least match the lowest price after all the event is a special Skoda event and the deals I've been offered through carwow are deals anyone can obtain? I'm impressed by Hayselden because nothing was too much trouble.

Polishing Monte this morning though I have mixed feelings in parting with it because it's a gorgeous car which stands out in a crowd; at two years old it has only 15,000 miles on the clock; it also has a spare wheel and paintwork/upholstery treatment. Normally a car is a means of transport but Bron and I do love the Monte.

I'm adding this just for interest because dealing with a car price comparison website is new to me. Hope its useful?

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:47 am 

The best time to buy a car is just before the end of a quarter date. All dealers get a Volume Related Bonus and sometimes it pays them to preregister cars or sell them for cost just to get the bonus. So assuming financial years quarters the optimum time to buy is the end of June, September, December (no one buys then as they want a new year for future value) and March. March is generally not so good for deals as there are loads of cars registered for the new plate and similarly September. So June is best.

A preregistered car is often a good deal but if you chop it in early the two owners can affect the residual value slightly. I think this is offset by the big saving and a mitigation against the losses you suffer with a new car.

Just a few pointers that probably will not help at this stage Colin. Somehow I do not think the Yeti is the car for you. They are good for what they are but they are just not a drivers car which I think you like. Have a test drive first though.

Good luck with your dealing.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:38 pm 

The supermini market is very competitive on car wow, I got nearly 6k knocked off the list on a Nissan

Be aware skoda and vag can have long lead times on new cars - if you want anything with a factory sunroof you can wait up to 8 months I did look at the yeti last year but it had a 14 week wait

For this message the author flash22 has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:33 pm 

Hi,

Thanks DWD; I do love our Monte but I've always liked the chunky looks of the Yeti; when Bron and I bought the Monte we were loaned a Roomster for three weeks until the Monte cleared the docks; we also had a good look at a Yeti but we just loved the look of the Monte in its red over black paintwork and at that time thought just for the two of us the Monte would be best choice; now though with all the potholes and road humps etc poor Monte has a hard time of it due to its sports suspension and rubber band low profile tyres; it corners like its glued to the road with little body lean and it goes where its pointed; once the turbo kicks in its very impressive for a 1,200cc. I've just completed polishing it and if I carry on I'll talk myself out of a Yeti? Every winter here on the valley side is dangerous; we really do need a 4x4 but given the potholes and road humps perhaps a tracked vehicle might be more suitable; when we arrive home we feel like one of the little nodding dogs. I confess its a tough decision. :scratch:

Thanks flash; when we bought the Monte it had a long lead time but the dealer found one in Grimsby docks which had just arrived and asked if we wanted it; we jumped at it but unfortunately it took weeks to clear the docks; we had already struck the deal so DM Keith's here in Huddersfield very kindly loaned us a Roomster Scout until Monte was available saving us having to MOT and tax the Aygo we were trading in at three years old.

One thing now concerning me is that a new Skoda SUV is being introduced and the Yeti being phased out? If we buy a new Yeti now will it's trade in value slump say in three years due to it being an obsolete model?

http://www.skoda.co.uk/why-skoda/visions/default?gclid=Cj0KEQjwwYK8BRC0ta6LhOPC0v0BEiQApv6jYWaFXPEMnkFBL3dNwHq7XjEkawj41CtWuU0sIOR7weEaAhL88P8HAQ

We could of course keep Monte and feel given it's looks etc it could well be a future classic car? A lot of tyres; exhausts and batteries can be bought for around £10,000 which it will probably cost to trade up to a Yeti?

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:20 pm 

If you're going to be looking at part exchanging the Fabia then the best deal may well not be the one with the lowest price for the Yeti.

You're going to need to know what each dealer is going to offer you in part ex before you can assess which is actually offering you the best deal, and it's even possible that a better servicing package being offered by one would swing the balance.

Having said that, going along tomorrow with the pricing you've got from the Doncaster dealer certainly can't hurt.

But I do get the impression that you don't really want to change cars, and don't have a compelling need to either.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:39 pm 

Interesting discussion. Don't know when I'll change the present motor, but it's useful to know about a comparison site.

I had a base model Citigo as a courtesy car when mine was in for servicing, and apart from the fact that I didn't like the engine cutting out (It kept making me think something was wrong!) I was well impressed. Went like the proverbial as well!

The yeti looks interesting. Bloke up the road has one. Tall enough to see over the hedges down here.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:08 pm 

Hi,

WOW what a busy day.

Thanks Inky Pete; I fully agree with what you say and this morning went along with an open mind as arranged to the Skoda VIP event here in Huddersfield at DM Keith's. Poor Bron was too ill to accompany me now having a nasty cold and cough; it felt very strange indeed to be on my own because Bron and I do everything together.

Pulling into the car park I attached the provided label to the rear view mirror stating my name; registration and time arrived then with my badge around my neck headed for the showroom. The showroom was completely blacked out by full length drapes; a short tunnel was at the entrance with a red VIP mat on the floor and it sounding like a disco; I was greeted by a lovely young lady who in turn booked me in offering me refreshments and asking me to be seated; a minute later the salesman introduced himself and again I was asked if I would like refreshments which I declined.

I won't go into great detail but I was offered Skoda's new finance deal of £1,000 towards my deposit with £750 of free fuel which I declined saying it took many years to break free of finance even if the deal is 0% interest; I insisted it would be a cash and part exchange only and that I would not budge in any way from this. Having been in discussion for a short while whilst the salesman ran through the legal side ensuring both they and I knew the law regarding new car deals I said I'll be dead straight to save a lot of messing around have you heard of carwow? At this point I explained I had been doing my homework and then handed over two print outs of the best Yeti SE deals I had received through carwow; this proved very interesting indeed as the salesman excused himself and went into the back office.

Now it was different and what a change; I had been seated staring at a new Yeti in black magic metallic paint in the showroom corner; as the salesman approached he said we can better the deals you brought in by a great deal of you are agreeable and willing to be flexible asking if I would be interested in the black Yeti which would be sold to me with zero miles on the clock but at a substantial discount it being pre-registered; this black Yeti was already available and in black magic metallic paint and to make the deal better paintwork/upholstery treatment would be thrown in not only this but the interior is leather and its a better model than the SE it being the SE L with a 2.0 ltr diesel engine meaning only £30 per year road fund. When I asked about fuel consumption I was told the 2.0 ltr diesel engine would not only give lots more torque but is more economical than the petrol TSI engine.

I was asked if I had taken a test drive and I hadn't so off we went for a good long drive in a new 4x4 Yeti Monte Carlo. By the time we arrived back the part exchange on the Monte had been worked out and it was £6,500; I had been asked if I had browsed the web for a trade in value to which I replied yes between £7,000 and £8000? Having seen how immaculate the Monte is with only two very small stone chips and it having had paint/upholstery protection plus a spare wheel the part exchange was increased to £7,000. I explained I'm a pensioner and got another £100 discount; the salesman wasn't in any way pushy and he fully accepted I knew what kind of deal I wanted saying he was pleased I was so open because it saved a lot of dancing around; I'm surprised the black Yeti was available because this is the second day of the event and even whilst I was sitting a number of customers were showing a lot of interest in it; we shook hands on the deal and I handed over £1,000 in cash as deposit with the balance to pay in full next Friday afternoon when we collect the Yeti.

With the paperwork signed I was asked if I would like to do the honour by placing the huge sold banner across the windscreen. So by doing my homework Bron and I have ended up saving £K's getting a lovely brand new Yeti with an higher spec and with the metallic paint and paint protection which alone costs a lot of money all in at the price.

I've got five days Skoda free insurance which I'll set up tomorrow allowing the Yeti to be road taxed and I'll also transfer my Monte insurance next week in readiness. I hope Bron is recovered enough to collect the Yeti with me.

This new Yeti bristles with goodies like rear parking sensors etc; there was too much to take in all at once but what a wonderful deal and top marks to DM Keith for looking after us. One thing I did do was to be very polite when I disclosed my contact with carwow and quietly handing over the two quotes; I didn't want to use these as a weapon but merely to emphasize I had done my research up front; how many I wonder have simply signed up to the Skoda special offer? I attended with an open mind not expecting anything really special but I doubt this deal could be bettered especially in that we aren't having to wait for weeks due to factory lead time; we could have collected sooner but the showroom was buzzing; next Friday will be fine.

After discussing buying a Yeti with Bron we decided a 4X4 had too many extra things to go wrong with it and we didn't want the complexity of 4WD just so that we could do our shopping in winter after all supermarkets now deliver with online shopping so we can cope with 2WD?

I hope I'm not giving any secrets away but carwow I believe helped me this morning in cutting to the bottom line?

You are so right though Inky Pete in that it is with a lot of regret we are parting company with our much loved Monte but someone is in for a treat because they will get a beauty which has been lovingly cared for.

Our immediate neighbour Carole has a Citygo Dave54 and loves it; a friend of hers too is going to buy one who currently runs a little Citroen which she dislikes? Yes the Yeti is tall in fact I hadn't realized just how big a Yeti really is; I'm still reeling after trying to take it all in and only when we get the Yeti home will we discover exactly what we've got but its sure impressive. Thanks go to carwow.:cheers:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:42 pm 

What a great day Colin, well done. As I mentioned earlier a preregistered car is always a good deal and it sounds like you squeezed them both ends by getting the Yeti cheap and a good trade in on your old car, I take it that you liked the drive of the Yeti and I would not be worried about moving to diesel as they are very economical and there is plenty of power when the turbo cuts in. Just remember it is diesel when you fill up :lol:

It just shows what a bit of homework can do, the average Joe has not got a clue.

DWD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:44 pm 

Sounds like you got a great deal Col;

Have you checked that the Yeti will fit in the garage :lol:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:17 pm 

Hi,

Thanks DWD; I think the last diesel I owned was a SWB Land Rover about 45 years ago; this was fitted with a BMC 2.2 diesel engine; in those days a button was pressed to engage glow plugs; I well remember the fun I used to have in starting it; I used to buy small bottles of ether from the chemist and had to pour a few drops into the air intake; too much and the engine refused to turn over; things have changed a bit since my steam days? Yes I was very happy with the Yeti test drive; obviously I couldn't open it up due to the 40 mph speed limit and with a new engine I always nurse it for the first 1,000 miles I have lots of mechanical respect. I've become used to a turbo as our current petrol engined Monte TSI has a turbo and it needs a different driving technique; if the turbo drops out at low revs then it's a snail but once the turbo kicks in its a good performer; the 2.0 ltr diesel though will have a lot more mid range torque. As you rightly say I'll have to be careful at the petrol station; I've been filling the Monte with high octane rocket fuel for the last couple of years; I'm aware lots of drivers miss-fuel but the tip is most welcome. I recall your previous post regarding pre-registered cars and this sprung to mind this morning; I've been aware of pre-registered cars for some time but never previously got my timing right to buy one; I even asked the Doncaster Skoda dealer if a pre-registered Yeti was available but without luck. A bit of homework goes a long long way. :salute:

No way will the Yeti fit into our garage wine~o; it was a tight squeeze with the Monte to the extent that I painted a white line on the garage floor to align the offside tyres with as I backed the Monte in otherwise it would only be a matter of time before the Monte kissed a bench or machine; in a way having the Yeti sleep out will be of benefit to me releasing the full garage for me to play in; for years I've garaged our cars but with all the tools and machinery I've ended up washing and drying the car most times I've pulled it out due to Blackie keeping everything well watered; the Monte is a car which stands out from the crowd and would be sure to attract the local low life but hopefully the Yeti won't be special enough to attract unwanted attention; what a country though when decent people are pestered by low life? :scratch:

I had considered buying something like a Toyota Dyna and also keeping the Monte but the Yeti with rear seats removed makes a good van with a lot of capacity so in a way I've got the best of both worlds?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=toyota+dyna+truck&rlz=1C1MSIM_enGB700GB700&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=940&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIoZ7ovunNAhWBJ8AKHSbNBaEQsAQIKQ

When Bron recovers from her cold and cough we will be discussing our bungalow because we are fed up of the prevailing breeze and rain on this valley also the terrain needs 4x4 legs its so steep; I'd like to move near to but not quite on a cost this then allowing walks on the level and I'd like to play with a metal detector; we have a large rear garden that could be converted into a building plot for a four bed roomed house as has been done next door; with the proceeds from our lovely detached bungalow plus the value of the land I'm sure we could find a more user friendly bungalow and with a double garage or garage and outbuildings; we need to move soon as we aren't getting younger?

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:45 am 

Hi,

I've just accepted the free five day insurance from Skoda which gives time to let the dealer tax the car and me to look for insurance. I've already received the cover note via email and a copy is sent directly to the dealer. Very easy and no hassle whatsoever. :thumbleft:

Our Monte is insured through LV the policy being only a month old so I've just phoned LV to transfer the policy to the new Yeti; incredibly easy and what a surprise; the only cost involved is just over £34 which surprised me and I've now changed from having the car in the garage to having it on our private driveway. Sorting insurance and car tax out these days is so much easier than it used to be. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:46 am 

It reminded me Colin, moving to a diesel car is not always apparent to drivers that a different style is needed to that of petrol. I recall a friend of mine was new to diesels and I went with him on a short journey and he was driving it like a petrol car. He was revving it up to 3000 rpm in each gear and doing 4th to second gear changes to slow down. I explained to him the need to use the low rev power and to change gear at 2000 rpm and move steadily through the gears up to 6 as required. We discussed this for some time and I left him to get on. A few weeks later I caught up with him and (for once) he had taken on board what I had told him and he was a lot happier with the car and it was returning a much higher miles per gallon. He was amazed at the third and fourth acceleration when the turbo kicked in and he told me his whole driving experience has changed. He is now a diesel convert.

I mention this not for one minute suggesting that you need instructions on how to drive a diesel Colin, but it just triggered this memory. :thumbright:

DWD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:57 am 

Enjoy your new motor Col. Sounds like you had a great deal! A bit of haggling works wonders. They need to sell those cars!

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:29 pm 

Hi,

Many thanks DWD for the driving information; when Bron and I bought the Monte we had signed up and sorted the part exchange but then the Monte was held up in Grimsby docks for about three weeks but as the deal had been made DM Keith's kindly looked after us by honouring the deal taking in our part exchange but then loaning us a new Roomster Scout which was a diesel; I'd forgotten about this but I have driven a modern diesel; one thing about the Roomster I found in top gear it wouldn't drop down to 30 mph so had to drop a gear; I found this strange but put it down to the gearing with the engine at tick-over. I agree petrol's like a big boot to get them going but diesels always remind me of my motorcycling days where the ignition could be retarded on a 500cc/600cc single and then it would pull a house down; these bikes were always started with retarded ignition unless being thrown over the handlebars was enjoyed? The Roomster needed few gear changes it just pulled like a train; for those who have never driven a turbo vehicle its a revelation as you say once the turbo kicks in.

Thanks Dave54; I actually did very little haggling indeed; I explained what I would like and stuck with it; to quote the salesman it was good doing business with me because "we didn't spend lots of time dancing around the handbags" I already had the best deals regarding a Yeti SE with me so it was clear I wouldn't be paying over the odds. Getting the higher spec SE L though was most unexpected but grabbed with both hands. The VIP event is in its final day today; from what I saw yesterday the VIP event must have been a huge success; I'm pleased the deal was struck at DMK because its a local garage; as you say the cars need to be sold and in large numbers; it must cost a lot of money to keep a dealership in business. :scratch:

I've just visited Wickes to buy glaziers putty but I haven't a clue as to when I can use it because it just keeps raining which is highly frustrating.

Out of curiosity I've just browsed "Parker's" for specs on the Monte and Yeti. I'm not surprised the Yeti pulls so well with such a huge torque difference; Monte has 175Nm whilst the Yeti has 250Nm; the Yeti is only 1.5 seconds slower in 0/60mph but 8 mph slower on top speed which means nothing.

Many times whilst driving the Monte I've found if I drive out of a 30 mph limit into say a 50 mph limit it takes quite a while to pick up speed until the turbo kicks in meaning dropping a gear but given the huge increase in torque with the Yeti 2.0 diesel I think the difference in pulling power will be dramatic? I'm so far impressed by costs with low insurance and low road tax plus the Yeti although a bigger car will prove more economical on fuel. I'm not in any way knocking our wonderful Monte because Monte has been a delight to own and drive over the last two years; if we had the space I think Monte would have been a keeper?

Kind regards, Col.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : OchAye
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:35 pm 

The most positive bit is that it does not fit in the garage (if I read correctly what you wrote). Think of all the fun you will have playing with the toys :thumbright:

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : Retired