DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:30 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:52 pm 

Hi,

Having just spent an hour compiling a post it disappeared so I'll try again but this time in "Word" and regular saving?

You are so right OchAye; yes having Yeti sleep out means I now have the full garage to kit out as my workshop so this winter I won't be washing and drying Monte every time I want to go into the garage; Yeti doesn't have the street presence Monte had in attracting attention; Yeti just sits there looking menacing. :lol:

Rather than repeat myself please indulge me as I copy one of my Briskoda forum posts describing collecting Yeti on Friday afternoon.

Hi,

The only problem I had whilst collecting our new Yeti from DMK at Huddersfield this afternoon was that my wife Bron was still too ill with cold and cough to accompany me; I too have suffered the cold and cough but mine is finally getting better. I parked Monte for the last time and wished Monte well by which time Greg had joined me in the car park with a very warm and friendly welcome; Monte's mileage was taken then we headed for Greg's desk. Lots of papers to read and sign regarding buying the new Yeti and trading in Monte; Greg also taxed the Yeti for a year only costing £30. :thumbleft:

All this took quite a while; Greg went into every little detail explaining things fully; as I had approached the showroom I wondered where our Yeti was because when we bought Monte new two years ago Monte was sitting looking very pretty just outside the showroom entrance? I was introduced to Ian in the stores; other customers were in the showroom some at desks others in the waiting area; I had passed a covered vehicle just inside the showroom doors as I entered but thought this must be a new model or something; I was amazed as Greg went to this vehicle and with a flourish unveiled it revealing our Yeti in all its glory; I felt just so proud standing there with a lump in my throat soaking it in whilst other customers were also enjoying the moment; a small touch but thank you so much for this it was the icing on the cake. :huray:

Greg and I then climbed into the Yeti where Greg took me through all the controls explaining the stop/start technology and Bluetooth etc which were totally new to me; the basic controls are as in the Monte but this Yeti is much more advanced. With all the formalities sorted out Greg said he would phone us in a couple of days to confirm we were happy and that all was well; with an handshake and best wishes from Greg I was in the Yeti homeward bound to let Bron have a good look at what we had bought; Bron still felt unwell but we had a ten mile run in the Yeti and I can say what a lovely car it is to own and drive; the ride compared to Monte is much more refined and gentle; road problems aren't transmitted into the cabin anywhere near as much highlighting just how firm Monte's suspension was. Bron soon settled in and enjoyed the ride. When I drove away from DMK the average mileage read 22 miles but as we returned home after our run out the average mileage had shot up to 47 and I think as the Yeti runs in and we drive further this will improve even more. Copy end.

Bron and I are still too unwell to have a good trip out in Yeti but I've been over to DMK this morning it being only about 4 miles each way and I was astonished to see the average fuel reading 61.1 mpg as I approached DMK; back home after visiting our local store average fuel consumption was reading 58.6 mpg. It will be interesting to see how high this goes on a decent run out? Monte was different by reading miles of fuel in the tank; the highest I ever recorded on a full tank was 520 miles.

I fully agree with you DWD regarding different driving techniques between petrol and diesel; I settled down years ago so never subjected Monte to blistering take offs; all this does is to wind the transmission up after all it seems rare to drive locally more than a minute before stopping; however now I've driven Yeti a few times locally I can say changing up gears at 1,500 rpm gives ample acceleration due to the torque available making driving Yeti effortless. Out of interest as I was driving past Morrison's on my way home this morning I was in the offside lane when a car shot past undertaking me obviously speeding but then found the nearside lane to be blocked by parked cars so he simply nipped in front of Yeti. This moron also pulled into our local store and as he got out I've never seen a guy as big in my life he looked about ten feet tall and was as fat as a sumo wrestler in short he was just a huge slob; I watched him waddle out of the store thinking what a total idiot he is but thankful I was nothing at all like him; colour doesn't bother me but he was well sunburnt? I wonder what the police would have done with a copy of the dash cam video I had of his terrible driving? :pukeleft:

I'm still getting used to Yeti; yesterday I installed the SatNav and dash cam. Skoda cars like many others these days are no longer supplied with a spare wheel but Bron and I always pay the extra to have the security a spare wheel affords us. The space saver spare on Yeti is something else; normally the spare simply drops into the boot; tool kit on top then the cover. On Yeti the tool kit goes in first with the spare covering it this then allowing the tyre pressure to be checked without having to remove the wheel which is a very good idea. Around the spare are three mouldings providing storage in cubby holes and a new cover is required; this gives a nice kevel loading area with the loss of a bit of space.

Our Yeti being an SCR model has a reservoir under the boot floor with a filler cap within the boot to accept "Adblue" which I've never previously heard of; the dashboard instruments will give warnings of when to top the Adblue up and although these warnings give lots and lots of notice if they are ignored then eventually the Yeti will not drive at all until the reservoir is filled. Ride comfort in yeti is superior to ride comfort in the Monte it being much gentler; Monte having the low profile tyres and stiffened suspension gave the impression of riding a skateboard; Yeti rolls over road imperfections much easier; the leather interior is a touch of opulence the seats giving excellent support; the seats are fully adjustable including height and are heated; I've not yet seen them lit but I believe LED daytime running lights are installed; there are hangers and restraints in the boot together with lights and a 12V socket. Lots of dual area climate heating controls even for rear seats; there is so much to find out about this Yeti.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/diesel/adblue

I visited our local Auto accessory store enquiring about Adblue and was informed that to buy a litre of Adblue could set me back around £8 but to buy a large container of around 5L would only cost around £12 which I bought; I also bought a big top quality chamois leather and door edge plastic protectors; why bother about penny pinching after paying so much for Yeti? (Yes this is still Col).

I was very undecided whether to buy a 2WD or 4x4 Yeti given our location here on the steep valley side but I'm now pleased we bought the 2WD; please see the following video which is most interesting;

I'll see how Yeti drives in ice and snow before deciding whether to buy winter tyres but now with online shopping I don't even need to drive to stores for groceries in winter.

Yeti has so much modern technology to get used; no CD player but extensive media; if I want to play my own selection of songs I can simply add thousands onto a memory stick and slot the stick in; touch screen of course with all things Bluetooth etc; I could play in Yeti for hours without even driving it.

Yeti has proper sized fat tyres unlike Monte's rubber bands so accidental kerbing shouldn't be such a worry.

A new car is always something to look forward to irrespective of size or price; Bron and I have enjoyed all our new cars even the small Aygo's; Monte until now was absolute favourite but Yeti now tops it; my chum David has had his Fabia Elegance for the best part of three years in fact it was seeing David's Fabia which he bought new that put us on to Skoda hence we bought Monte; however David is like me in that the new face lifted Fabia doesn't have the same appeal so David is possibly going to buy a new Hyundai i30 but is as yet still undecided; Skoda's used to be real bargains but no longer they are now mainstream with lots of new cars costing similar in each sector; Skoda 3 year warranty is rather mean these days which could mean lack of confidence by Skoda in their product but it hasn't stopped us buying Yeti. Faults on Monte during the two years numbered only one it being a dry ball joint which was replaced without fuss under warranty. Bron and I took out Gap insurance together with servicing contract both for three years; with still ten months Gap insurance to run on Monte we don't get a refund so no more Gap insurance for us. I still need to sort out the Monte servicing contract and see if it can be transferred to Yeti which I'm sure it can with price adjustment to give a new three year contract.

Now is a good time to buy a new car given the many special offers and deals available; with a new car at least the cost of motoring is more or less known in advance for three years giving peace of mind if a new car can be afforded.

I hope this long winded ramble is of interest.

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : nick200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:07 pm 

Thanks for a great report on both Carwow and also your new Skoda. I have just got a new Skoda but I will use it in three years.

I received my new Skoda Octavia SEL Estate 2 litre TDI last month and I love it. They are great cars and my brother in law has a Superb. I didn't know about the ad blue so I had best check. We spent lots of time going through the car and also the removable tow bar which is stored by the spare wheel (optional extra) but they didn't mention the additive. I spent the first 1000 miles not going above 2000rpm, slowly accelerating/braking and also using gears to slow down (to help the Pistons seat better). As soon as it went above 1000 miles I tried the sport mode and wow! I won't use it a lot but it was fun down the back roads. I currently get 50mpg but that is my driving style and that is already changing as the fun wears off. I have got 60mpg going on long trips. They have so many options and I have 45 albums on the memory stick but could have 400 if I wanted (too many to saf lay go through!). I have found the post collision detection when someone cut in front and braked causing my car to start braking, shutting windows etc! Anyway there are too many options to mention!

This car is for both work and personal so will do circa 25000 miles a year which is a shame. However I look forward to long drives now. I have already done 2500 miles in 5 weeks.

Anyway I hope that you are both well enough to enjoy soon.

If someone helps then thank the helper and also check out UHM's Nominated charity - http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author nick200 has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:05 pm 

Hi,

Many thanks Nick for your good wishes and I'm pleased you are interested in my story. You too enjoy your new Skoda it being the Octavia; I'm unsure Nick about your Octavia needing Adblue; not all Skoda diesels use it; the give away on our Yeti is in the model title it being SE L TDI but also SCR the SCR indicating it uses Adblue? The Adblue isn't a big issue it's just something which needs topping up occasionally; I only became aware of Adblue because I did a lot of web browsing checking the Yeti's out.

Like you Nick I run our new cars in for at least 1,000 miles up to around 50 mph but letting the engine spin freely without loading it up in too high a gear; I ensure the mileage is mixed and not all motorway driving; once a diesel engine is run it it should outlast the car body? :scratch:

You'll be getting used to your Octavia by now Nick have a long and happy friendship with it; I'm sure we've got an equal smile on our faces? :cheers:

Kind regards, Col.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : nick200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:22 pm 

I am glad it all went so well Colin, it sounds like the perfect choice. It is a shame you are still both under the weather but hopefully you will be able to have some nice drives together when you are both back to fitness.

Cheers :thumbright:

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:23 am 

Retired wrote:
Hi,

Many thanks Nick for your good wishes and I'm pleased you are interested in my story. You too enjoy your new Skoda it being the Octavia; I'm unsure Nick about your Octavia needing Adblue; not all Skoda diesels use it; the give away on our Yeti is in the model title it being SE L TDI but also SCR the SCR indicating it uses Adblue? The Adblue isn't a big issue it's just something which needs topping up occasionally; I only became aware of Adblue because I did a lot of web browsing checking the Yeti's out.

Like you Nick I run our new cars in for at least 1,000 miles up to around 50 mph but letting the engine spin freely without loading it up in too high a gear; I ensure the mileage is mixed and not all motorway driving; once a diesel engine is run it it should outlast the car body? :scratch:

You'll be getting used to your Octavia by now Nick have a long and happy friendship with it; I'm sure we've got an equal smile on our faces? :cheers:

Kind regards, Col.

I didn't ever look at Skoda before but my brother in law encouraged me to look. The service was great, I test drove a car and I was hooked. I will check out adblue, it may not require it but it is good to check.

Sadly my first journey was 100 miles on the motorway but after speaking to my brother in law, who knows a lot about cars, he said that with newer designs as long as it was in 6th gear and under 2,000 rpm then 70mph would be OK. Apart from the motorway I kept it between 1,000 and 1500rpm. It was amazing to drive and even with the M25 traffic it was a dream.

The engine will easily out live the body, I am not sure if I understand? As you are aware if you run it in then Piston rings seat better in the cylinder wall and you get a better running of the engine, less oil loss, less friction on cylinder wall etc.

I hope that you both get to enjoy it soon. :thumbright:

If someone helps then thank the helper and also check out UHM's Nominated charity - http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:57 pm 

Hi,

Thanks once again Nick for your good wishes; Bron and I still have the colds possibly because we are Yorkshire folk who part with nothing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I go back a long way Nick to well before the silicone chip; my comment about the Skoda 2.0 L diesel engine meant that modern diesel engines last about forever and unless a business vehicle it's likely the car will be scrapped before the engine wears out?

I was brought up on the likes of Ford 100E's; these had eight valves but were side valves and adjusting tappets and decoking seemed to be done every other weekend as were oil changes; the bodywork used to rust at will; I've seen many Ford Anglia 105E's with doors hanging lose because the "A" pillar had rotted through and a neat trick with the same car was to see two cart springs poking through the boot floor when the boot lid was lifted. Daren't leave a mini out in the rain either in fact most cars of that era were grim with little to choose between them; Alfa-suds were a huge joke with rampant rust problems. Modern car bodywork is superior but will eventually rust. Everything seemed to improve once the first Datsun's landed on our shores and shook up our complacent motor industry just as the first Honda motorcycles did to our motorcycle manufacturers. A whole industry sprang up selling replica body panels both in steel and fiberglass; one local company in Batley would knock out a pair of "over sills" against a wire profile and these cost very little indeed. Pop rivets must have been manufactured in billions? All my chums had a valve spring compressor plus the wooden stick with the two rubber suction pads and a tin of grinding paste; this paste came in a tin with a lid at each end giving coarse and fine paste. Two types of spring compressor were readily available; over head valve or side valve. Dirty engine oil made a good shed and fence treatment.

Skoda attracted jokes for many a long year but were Skoda's any worse than our own cars in those days; where I worked in 1977 a guy had a Skoda and suffered all the jokes but he loved his Skoda and as it's turned out he could well have had a valid point? Skoda are dealing now on merit and no longer need to cut prices to sell in fact Skoda are no longer a cheap car and they are up there mainstream with the best of them.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html?s_kwcid=AL!432!3!69909043864!b!!g!!my%20tyres&ef_id=V354aAAAAX3Y7eZi:20160717082910:s

I've already been looking at winter tyres for the Yeti; I bought the Aygo winter tyres at the above website who were very reasonable in price but rapid on delivery; the tyres I wanted were out of stock here in the UK but I received a pair within two days to our door.

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:43 pm 

Get better soon :lol:

As a child I saw someone with a wooden stick and sucker, for the valves but it makes sense now.

I did engineering because of cars that people could work on but sadly it looks different under the bonnet now compared to my old Morris Marina :lol:

For this message the author nick200 has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:37 am 

I remember all the jokes about Skoda cars back in the 70/80's, and by comparison to Western cars made then their cars they were pretty crap. Since the fall of the iron curtain and the Skoda parnership with VW the shared technololgy, parts and platforms has lead to Skoda being a well built car. Initially Skoda's redressed VW's were a cheaper alternative to VW cars but this margin is much smaller now on some models.

Colin's Yeti is based on the old model VW Tiguan platform but there are many improvements to make the Yeti a car in it's own right and not just a re-skinned body of the Tiguan. So in my opinion the best of both worlds without having the VW price premium of about £10k for the equivalent Tiguan.

DWD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:27 pm 

It's ironic that VW could re-invent Skoda as a decent car. No doubt they are good now. I'm not really sure that they were ever quite as bad as they were supposed to be.

Why couldn't we have done that with our own motor industry?

If you were a conspiracy theorist, you might almost think that someone didn't want our own car industry.

While we're on the subject what about the other oddities from behind the iron curtain? Anyone remember the Wartburg Knight?

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:51 pm 

Hi,

I used to enjoy my cars and owned some real classics like Jaguar 3.8S and Austin Healey 100/4 but then I married Bron and cars just became transport. For many years Bron and I bought cars within our budget these always being small cars starting with three wheelers like a Bond Bug and Robins; we then bought a Citroen 2CV and it was such a workhorse we bought a new Citroen 2CV. Next came 9 new Micra's; 2 new Aygo's; Fabia Monte Carlo and now the new Yeti. The Monte rekindled my car interest and the Yeti even more so; I never want to return to the days of replacing a fulcrum whilst laying on my back in the gutter with a stream running down but in those days I had to do what I had to do.

Snails; cams and springs were things I often played with?

Wartburg brings back memories as does Lada and Yugo; what about a Simca? :scratch:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:06 pm 

I'm glad you're pleased with the Yeti. I quite like the look of them.
Simca, again I knew a bloke who had one. He used to get his leg pulled, but he reckoned they were really no worse than any of the other offerings at the time (Mid 70s) and could be had for next to nothing secondhand.
As you say, British Leyland (or whatever they were calling themselves that week) were not exactly noted for their rust resistance, or the excellence of their engineering. A pity, because they had some good ideas. The Mini was way ahead of it's time.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:08 am 

Hi,

Thanks Dave54, I agree entirely with you regarding there been little to choose from between any of the cars in the sixties; most were rust buckets and I believe this was unaided by positive earth battery connection; all cars have been negative earth for years contributing to extended body longevity? Metals have improved in car bodywork and modern front wheel drive cars are mostly based on the original Mini design;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Issigonis

Yes the Mini was a world beating design and top credit to the late Sir Alec for inventing it; little has changed regarding this design since so Sir Alec got it right from the start? I've driven a few of the original Mini's and at one time Bron and I owned a Mini Countryman. The original Mini's were great fun to drive; they could be thrown into corners at ridiculous speed with great confidence; my first drive in an early Mini was a real eye opener; the first bend I drove into I steered as normal then to straighten up let the steering wheel loose in my hands; to my horror the car kept on turning; it didn't self center so I wonder if this is still the case on modern Mini's; most likely not because it could prove highly dangerous; it was common to see Mini's crabbing along the road due to rot on sub-frames which was very common in fact I've changed Mini sub-frames to correct this it being an horrible job due to everything rusting so quickly. I never did like Metro's or any of the 1100/1300 BMC's but these were still no worse than the competition. Once the Japanese cars started to arrive this was a wake up call to our car industry to get a grip?

There is no doubt that modern cars are vastly more reliable and with much better bodywork; so much so that we can take a car very much for granted these days as long as it is correctly serviced and looked after. How many remember the Morris Minor's where the bonnet had to be lifted in order to smack the electric petrol pump before the engine would start or on the same cars the terrible windscreen wiper motors? I drove many miles in a Bedford Dormobile with a pair of mole grips replacing the column change gear lever; it worked OK until the grips popped off at the most inconvenient moment?

Is it now possible cars have become too technical? I'm not against advancement in any way but on our new Yeti there are options I'll possibly never use or even know about without spending a week trying to read the comprehensive owners manual; just sorting the touch screen radio and media out is at the moment way over my head; seats that can be adjusted to burn my bottom in the severest of winters whilst having no end of adjustments; I won't knock any of this because at least all this modern technology is built in should I wish to fully explore it; cars are being designed where the car can be programmed to complete a journey without a driver in control; I can see this being common and taken for granted in a few years? How long before we can fuel up with common water; a separator splitting the Hydrogen and Oxygen; the Oxygen to allow combustion the Hydrogen being the fuel?

Right I've rambled on enough; I've already been out early this morning to paint the two remaining window frame panels a job which has been bugging me for a while due to terrible weather then my emergency hospital stay; at last the bungalow exterior is all now resplendent in its new two tone colours; when I feel stronger I can quickly go over with a second coat where only one top coat has been applied; this Benjamin Moore Aura Exterior Satin though covers exceptionally well with a single coat.

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:18 pm 

Hi,

I note our beloved Monte is up for sale at DMK here in Huddersfield;

http://www.dmkeith.com/used-car-details/used-skoda-fabia-12-tsi-105-bhp-monte-carlo-hatchback-corrida-red-manual-petrol-ID_1515605841743.aspx

Monte shows what a car looks like which has been fully garaged and washed/dried just about each time it came out of the garage due to this dire climate. If Monte was dirty it got the bucket and sponge treatment using lots of warm water with good quality shampoo added then it was always leathered dry before being put away; if it was lightly dirty then it was polished with Greased Lightning Showroom Shine and later Williams water-less car wash; this Monte was like new when Bron and I traded it in as seen by the pictures at the link above. Very well done DMK in pricing because you are not robbing the customer and you didn't rob us; we were allowed £7,000 trade in so the mark up isn't excessive by any means but whomever buys it will get a beautiful one owner very well cared for car; I'm surprised it hasn't been snapped up?

Monte really did stand out in a crowd not being bashful to say Hey look at me? Unfortunately it stood out a bit too well so I dare not let it sleep out at night in case it attracted the attention of our local low life?

It was an incredible tough decision to make whether to keep Monte or to buy the Yeti; Bron and I are delighted with our new Yeti but it's difficult not to miss Monte? :cb

Just in case the car sells and the advert then gets pulled I've taken a snip seen below but the website at the moment does it justice.

Kind regards, Col.

Attachment:
Our beloved Monte..PNG
Our beloved Monte..PNG [ 602.66 KiB | Viewed 559 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:37 pm 

Monte certainly stands out as a well cared for car, Hope it finds a good home.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:20 pm 

What a strange price at £8391? Why not £8395? Makes you wonder if they have run out of 5 stickers.

DWD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next