DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:28 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Car grumbles
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:27 pm 

Car went for its MoT today, early, just as the place opened. I thought I'd get it there early so they get to it first. Haha. It was supposed to be ready for 4pm. I rang at 4:30 to be told - this 8.5 hours after drop off - that it failed the MoT! Had to scrounge a lift home.

So what - did they leave it 8 hours and then take it and it failed, or did they test it this morning and not bother to say? Maybe I should have said I need it back for 10am...

This is a nemesis garage for us as they had a past car for weeks while allegedly arguing with the manufacturer if something was under warranty (it was!).

I wouldn't mind but we only ended up at this place, again, because the franchise has been moved from the place we got the car from (nice place, friendly people) to this our nemesis. The same had happened with the previous cars franchise. They eat franchises.

Apparently its a sticking rear brake calliper which I could fix myself but probably beggar any remaining warranty in so doing. The quote - if it turns out not to be warranty is astronomic of course. And it goes without saying that they will not know if it is a warranty repair until they repair it, then it's too late anyway. The handbrake cable felt like it had stretched the day after I booked the car in - it must have realised what was coming...

Rock < car > hard place.

Bloody cars, I never had this problem with my old Land Rovers. Or old cars for that matter before they became so enfangled that one cannot even change a light bulb. (seriously, previous car was a Scenic and the manual said if the headlight blows take it to a dealer! Stuff that, my wrist got scratched to bits but I managed - damn Renault cleverly positioned all the tie wraps with the cut ends just where your wrist went)

I wonder if I can write a contract for our next car supplier where if their franchise moves to our nemesis they buy the damn car back.

(I put this here 'cos it's a whinge, not a question!)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Car grumbles
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:35 pm 
diesel demon

Is that nemesis perchance Arnold Clark, a company that owns about 50% of the car outlets in Inverness (Mini & BMW are called Harry Fairbairn but still Arnold Clark)
It is very difficult to buy a car that isn't from one of their outlets

I have a soft spot for the wife, it's a peat bog just outside Ardross

Still Yes Highland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:43 pm 

No not Arnold Clark and I'm not saying who 'cos they still have the car! The name Arnold Clark does not contain either of the initial letters of our nemesis... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:15 pm 

Always use an independent, never a dealership.

If servicing or a simple repair like brakes, tyres, exhaust, etc. is done by an independent then the warranty on the car will still be valid. If a manufacturer or dealer tries to insist that if anyone else works on the car the warranty will be invalidated then they're breaking consumer law.

For this message the author Inky Pete has received gratitude : idkhow2diy

Time zone: Europe/London