DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:46 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Car dash cameras.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:35 am 

rpfn140378 wrote:
I know very well one of the roundabouts in your video

Cooper dean ?

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:31 am 

Hi,

Many thanks wine~o for suggesting the Transcend DrivePro 100 dashcam. :salute:

Normally I'm a dinosaur resisting the urge to dash out and buy every must have electronic gadget seeing them as a waste of money. However having recently suffered two near misses with suicidal pedestrians and interested in the concept of a dashcam I started to more seriously look into buying a dashcam hence I'm now here discussing them. I bought my DrivePro through Ebuyer it arriving by Yodel a few days later. I must confess I didn't expect much for around £57 which is little money these days? However I'm mightily impressed; the camera arrived nicely boxed and included a 16Gb card so it came ready to plug and play. I also bought very cheaply a 12V splitter allowing both the camera and SatNav to be hooked up to the car 12V socket located near the handbrake.

The camera suction cup gets a good firm grip of the windscreen and is easy to adjust; the camera can be detached leaving the suction cup assembly on the windscreen and also if a card reader is available the card simply comes away with a singly push to release it.

The camera feels like quality and is small and light; with the camera plugged into the car socket but still in my hands I adjusted its settings using the clear to understand quick start guide; this was very easy indeed to do; first job was to insert the 16Gb card and use the settings to format the card taking only seconds then I disabled both the voice recording and the G-Sensor before mounting the camera to the windscreen. I mounted the camera whilst the car was still in the garage with the garage doors closed this allowing level alignment. I already had the SatNav mounted and found the camera tucked in nicely behind the SatNav allowing both power cables to hang down in front of the dash and to be tucked in between drivers seat and tunnel. The cables routed like this are a bit messy but didn't get in the way or distract me in any way; I'm considering making a short power cable which I can add between SatNav and camera leaving just one cable hanging but more on this later; I don't want to hard wire both SatNav and camera.

Yesterday morning Bron and I were visiting our very good friends in Cottingham being 70 miles each way so a good test for the camera? As usual it was windy and pouring with rain but five miles out the wind and rain cleared leaving a dry journey. I was concerned that the picture quality would be extremely poor due to the car bouncing around on its very low profile tyres over our poor local roads? Our car is a Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo with sports suspension etc so a very good test for this tiny camera.

In total the camera recorded over 14Gb covering the entire trip out and the YouTube video I've posted shows the final part of the journey as we arrive home coming down the mountain; the windscreen is rather dirty and wet so apologies for this. Settled back in at home I was keen to see how this camera had performed and to be honest I was truly amazed. I removed the camera from its cup mounting and brought the camera into the bungalow; I already had the correct cable so was able to quickly attach the camera to the computer and instantly the computer recognized the camera. I had the camera hooked up to the computer and was happily watching the playback on the monitor then I wondered if I could download from camera to computer; it took less than twenty minutes to download the entire journey into the video files allowing me to disconnect the camera.

As I say I'm a dinosaur with these modern electronic bits of kit but I feel I moved light years ahead yesterday; not only have I now got the dashcam nicely sorted I tried to send a 3 minute clip to my chum in Cottingham by email but kept receiving an email not sent error message which puzzled me for some time? Eventually I browsed the web for information as to file size I could send by email and found this was the problem; it appears email file size is limited to around 20MB so obviously this was the problem but how the heck could I let my chum see the clip? What about adding a clip to my website? No this didn't work either.

I'm already registered on YouTube but I've never previously tried to add a video so I thought time to try? I browsed YouTube and found instructions as to how to add videos onto YouTube and I was surprised by how easy this proved to be. I had selected the last part of the journey rather than the monotonous motorway footage; this last part clearly shows the run down part of our valley side as to how steep it is around where we live; the previous footage joined on to this shows the run down from Grange Moor; when I say its hilly around here I'm not kidding.

Hopefully I'll never need to use the camera in anger but I think its not only useful but very interesting to own. As we proceeded along the M62 motorway yesterday towards Hull there was a red Vauxhall Corsa car in the third offside lane and we followed this car for many miles; the Corsa remained in the lane even though the motorway ahead was clear; perhaps the driver was American? Had a police car camera been recording rather than ours I think the Corsa driver would have ended up in trouble?

I can't get over just how good this little camera is for the money; I'm pleased I took your advice wine~o and bought this DrivePro rather than buy a very cheap camera through eBay; I had seriously considered spending around £150 for a decent dashcam but for general use I think this DrivePro suits me very well indeed :thumbleft:

Dashcam and adding a video onto YouTube in a day; I must be coming out of the dark ages after all I well remember steam power and gas lighting.

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : wine~o
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:27 pm 

Good succinct review there Col; you'll have probably noticed that watching the footage back on you tube the quality isn't quite the same as the original footage. :thumbleft:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:51 pm 
diesel demon

Very good Col, I'd be interested to see night footage sometime but looking at daylight footage it looks very good

I have a soft spot for the wife, it's a peat bog just outside Ardross

Still Yes Highland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:19 pm 

village idiot wrote:
Very good Col, I'd be interested to see night footage sometime but looking at daylight footage it looks very good

Night footage is pretty damned good. I've tried to find some footage to upload.. but I seem to have lost it..

Verwood Handyman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:22 pm 

Hi,

Thanks wine~o; I hadn't noticed any difference but then this is all new to me. :salute:

Thanks vi; I don't have any night footage but here is a YouTube video which shows the same model camera in action which might help; :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:07 pm 

Surely this is too good to be true, a Transcend drive pro 100 for a tenner?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172016084777

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:13 pm 

Not if you live in the Scottish Highlands though :cb ::b :cussing: :angryfire:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:21 pm 

kellys_eye wrote:
Not if you live in the Scottish Highlands though :cb ::b :cussing: :angryfire:

You just need someone to forward it to you. :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:25 pm 

Rorschach wrote:
Surely this is too good to be true, a Transcend drive pro 100 for a tenner?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172016084777

Of course it's too good to be true, postage alone from poland would cost a tenner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:31 pm 

A mistake on their listing perhaps?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:46 pm 

Rorschach wrote:

EDIT: looks like it was a mistake, price has jumped to £200 now which is a silly price really since they are only just over £50 at other places. I see 2 sold, did someone here get the other? I doubt they will ship it out at that price.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:45 am 

Hi,

I'm very happy with mine for around £57 thinking it to be excellent value. :huray:

Initially I mounted my dashcam near the bottom of the windscreen in the centre but as can be seen from my first YouTube video it's difficult to keep the windscreen clean even if the washer/wipers are used; the run off from the screen wash at the windscreen bottom is missed by the wipers. I've now positioned my dashcam to the left of the rear view mirror and the picture quality is much improved.

I've still much to learn regarding these cameras. I believe it will record for up to 30 minutes using its inbuilt battery and if this is correct then perhaps I could use this as a cine camera for taking footage around home etc? Transferring the video onto my computer proved to be very easy but it's in 3 minute sections. Out of curiosity yesterday I downloaded totally free;

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/movie-maker

I need to play around with this movie-maker but I've already joined two 3 minute clips without trouble. I'm finding owning the camera to be not only useful but highly interesting.

No doubt other members who are more familiar with dashcams can add more information as to uses and best free movie makers to use? :scratch:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:54 pm 

Rorschach wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

EDIT: looks like it was a mistake, price has jumped to £200 now which is a silly price really since they are only just over £50 at other places. I see 2 sold, did someone here get the other? I doubt they will ship it out at that price.

I have to admit I ordered before the price changed.. after all it would be rude not to...

I've had the normal confirmation e-mail from e-bay; so far I've not had anything to say it wont be shipped.... so fingers crossed..

Delivery due 21st to the 24th..

If it does arrive then I'll mount it in the rear window.. I'll have to buy a splitter for the cig lighter socket though

Verwood Handyman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:00 pm 

Retired wrote:
Hi,

I'm very happy with mine for around £57 thinking it to be excellent value. :huray:

Initially I mounted my dashcam near the bottom of the windscreen in the centre but as can be seen from my first YouTube video it's difficult to keep the windscreen clean even if the washer/wipers are used; the run off from the screen wash at the windscreen bottom is missed by the wipers. I've now positioned my dashcam to the left of the rear view mirror and the picture quality is much improved.

I've still much to learn regarding these cameras. I believe it will record for up to 30 minutes using its inbuilt battery and if this is correct then perhaps I could use this as a cine camera for taking footage around home etc? Transferring the video onto my computer proved to be very easy but it's in 3 minute sections. Out of curiosity yesterday I downloaded totally free;

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/movie-maker

I need to play around with this movie-maker but I've already joined two 3 minute clips without trouble. I'm finding owning the camera to be not only useful but highly interesting.

No doubt other members who are more familiar with dashcams can add more information as to uses and best free movie makers to use? :scratch:

Kind regards, Col.

Although the battery will allow recording for up to 30 minutes I found the battery was getting quite hot after only 17 minutes, also the recorded sound volume is a bit on the low side..

You can increase the volume in various editing suites/programs..

I also use "Moviemaker" Col..

Quite basic but it's all I need, best of all it's free. :wink:

Verwood Handyman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next