DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:41 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:02 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi all

New to the forum so apologies if this has been asked 100 times before, I couldn't see a search function.

I have a 1950's semi detached house that originally only had a coal fire for heating, over time a previous owner added a solid fuel heating system which I am now having replaced with an oil fired central heating system. Now all the rooms apart from the hallway have air bricks at ceiling height which I assume would have been needed due to the original coal fire. The construction of the house is of a cavity wall design and a previous owner has had this cavity filled with insulation.

Is it Ok to brick in the vents and plaster over prior to decorating or do these need to be left? Obviously the vent in the kitchen where the boiler is going needs to stay and I was intending to keep the one in the front room as we will have use of an open fire from time to time (although strangely this vent is about 1 foot up from the floor), also the bathroom vent would stay but be replaced with an extractor fan rather than the plastic vent cover that is there currently.

The double glazing that is fitted is aluminium windows on a hardwood frame with no trickle vents, however in time we do intend to replace these with uPVC windows that have trickle vents fitted. Currently there is no damp in the house despite it being empty all winter with no heating prior to us purchasing it.

Hopefully this is enough info to help but please let me know if I have missed anything, first post for me and I have no building experience so have probably missed all the important details out

Many thanks in advance

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:18 am 

Ventilation is vital for any heating that has a flame, its of course to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning which is a result of a flame burning in a limited oxygen environment.

Passive ventilation for air exchange and to reduce condensation risk is not, at low level a health risk.

So yes you can remove any wall vents that go to the outside. Just be aware you might increase risk of condensation.

You could check with whoever services your boiler to make sure you will comply.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:34 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi Notch1 many thanks for the quick reply. I will check with the boiler guy when he comes to fit the new system to make sure I don't affect the safety of the boiler operation or indeed ourselves as occupants. The condensation issue is at the back of my mind and something that we do need to be aware of. I may temporarily block/close off the upstairs vents once the heating is up and running and see if condensation becomes an issue over the winter. I guess if all goes Ok and condensation levels are low then the next step would be to block the upstairs vents off

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 am 

CWI installers dont usuly use sleeves or brushes and they just allow the blown insulation to block vents. you can shine a light or poke throuh to see if the cavity behind the vent is clear.
i wouldnt block any vents until the gas safe gives you the all clear to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:57 pm 

wes56 wrote:
.....i wouldnt block any vents until the gas safe gives you the all clear to do it.

What gas safe engineer? He is having an oil boiler.

dennij wrote:
I am now having replaced with an oil fired central heating system.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:35 pm 

i know.
most firms round here are Gas Safe an OFTEC Registered. the poster reading my post will get the idea hat a registered opinion is needed.