DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:04 pm 

In the hallway I use a 4G toggle switch for controlling 3 indoor lights and 1 outdoor light. However I would the outdoor lights to come on and off at certain times so I was wondering if they can be attached to a timer instead? Is this possible? If so do I need to get a 3G switch for the indoor lights instead and a separate timer for the outdoor light? Also is there a nice, small, modern looking timer unit that I can buy?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:36 pm 
Pro Carpenter

the trouble you have with lighting is dependant on the way its wired you wont have space where the power is for a control unit unless minute for wired to switches rather than via the ceiling rose :dunno:

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : mahoak
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:52 am 

There must be 100's of options, however space and neutral have a bearing on what will work. If I give one example, not wanting to run cables for two way lighting I fitted an Energenie MiHome light switch, already had the hub and remote controls so it has three remote controls that will switch it on and off, and also connects to phone and tablet plus PC, it has three timers and I can select which days of the week they are active, it also has IFTTT and does not require a neutral.

However likely rather expensive for what you want especially if you buy the hub needed to program it with, and it fills a 1 gang back box.

There are many more, it is a case of hunting on the internet, timer grid switch will bring up a host of results, however the timer switches seem to be the type used in common landings, push the button and time remains on for set time.

I then tried smart switch this link claims to be IFTTT so I would guess it will do the job. However I found near impossible to get information without buying. The switch I bought had only three times and you could select what day of the week, so if for example I want it to turn on at 10 pm every night and off at 11 pm great, but if I want to program it only to turn on Mon and Friday again great I just tick those days, however if I want 6 am Mon, 7 am Tues 8 am Wed and 9 am Thursday could not do it with built in timers as only 3 in the system. Could do it but then need to use IFTTT and it depends if there is a program written for what you want, likely you can get light to come on dusk to 10 pm or even if the weather report says going to be colder than 5 deg C. But until you start going through the app list you will not know if one written to do what you want.

You can get din rail mounted timers as well, you then need something like a mini consumer unit to mount them in.

For this message the author ericmark has received gratitude : mahoak
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:32 am 

The wire going into the switch comes down the wall and into the switch box. and the wire from the switch to the outside lights goes up again. Surely if the timer was placed about 6 inches above the switch there should be sufficient wire to connect it? Am I oversimplifying this?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:24 am 

mahoak wrote:
The wire going into the switch comes down the wall and into the switch box. and the wire from the switch to the outside lights goes up again. Surely if the timer was placed about 6 inches above the switch there should be sufficient wire to connect it? Am I oversimplifying this?

Sadly, it is not as easy as you would have hoped. Since it is up to how who ever installed it chose how to wire it.

The cable run direction does not matter, what is important is what the cable is connected to.

For a timer as you want to actually work, you need a permanent live, a permanent neutral and a switched live (Not counting the earth)
You can not tell what a cable does by just looking at it, so you need to test it to find out, or if you can, you need to follow the cable to find out what it is connected to at each end.

I suspect you don't have a multi meter? (You have a hammer for putting in nails, why not a meter for electrical work?) You need to find out what is at the switch, or you need to follow the cable to find out what it is connected to.
You can't just say put this here and that there and it will work, because as I previously said it depends on how who ever installed it chose to wire it.

Over to you.

(We can of course always guess, but there is never any guarantee)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : mahoak
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:14 pm 

I thought I was looking at it too simplistically :oops:

It look slike I might be better contacting my electrician to see if he remembers what he has done. I know that that switch was put in only a few months ago when we had the extension done.

I was hoping to avoid using external lights with sensors on them but it looks like I might not have much choice if the timer option is going to be an expensive job.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:09 pm 

If it was me, I would put an plug on outside lights so if fault develops easy to disconnect, and use a simple plug in timer.

For this message the author ericmark has received gratitude : mahoak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:24 pm 

ericmark wrote:
If it was me, I would put an plug on outside lights so if fault develops easy to disconnect, and use a simple plug in timer.

Well I have already thought about that as well and it's a good idea especially considering I have a double socket on the same wall so all it would need is extending the cable by about 4 feet vertically going down and it should be perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:26 pm 

Expensive, but you could always use a wifi lamp. (Hate to admit it, but I have several)
You could just change the lamp, leave it switched on and control it by wifi

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here