DIY Forum

 

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:04 pm
Visit Thermo worx


Time zone: Europe/London




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Thailand
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 pm
Posts: 2876
Has thanked: 739 times
Been thanked: 334 times
I'm currently in Pattaya Thailand. I thought I'd be able to get great deals on some DeWalt tools but they seem to be the same price if not more expensive. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

To cap it off I was stopped by the police on the way back and accused of not having a valid driving licence. I have but he wouldn't listen and kept writing out the ticket. Never wanted to lamp someone so much in my life but restrained my self. I don't fancy 20yrs in the Bangkok Hilton.

They confiscated my scooter so I had to pay a fine the next day to get it back. They gave me the keys back and allowed me to take it away :shock: It defies logic they would allow me to drive it away if they confiscated it from me in the first place because they thought I was driving it illegally.

When I collected the scooter from the impound yard they charged me another 'holding' fee. There must have been 600-1000 scooters here and full of farangs (foreigners). One Danish guy who lives here says he gets his scooter confiscated 2-3 times a month even though he has a licence.

I spoke to a Thai policeman who had an american accent. He said best just pay the fine rather than argue because they don't listen anyway :-)

Some scam they have here. They don't even hide how corrupt they are.

I always thought about retiring here but not keen on how foreigners are treated. I mean it's us that bring in the revenue for them.


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thailand
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:46 am 
Online
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 3876
Location: west yorkshire
Has thanked: 765 times
Been thanked: 670 times
You should go to rocal shop for rocal people [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thailand
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:31 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 9437
Location: Oban
Has thanked: 327 times
Been thanked: 1665 times
Argyll wrote:
I always thought about retiring here but not keen on how foreigners are treated. I mean it's us that bring in the revenue for them.

I don't think you're approaching this in the right frame of mind. If you want to live in 'their' country then live by and adopt 'their' practises and habits - good and bad. We expect the same of immigrants to our country (well, we fervently WISH they'd act that way.... sadly they don't) so you should accept it or reconsider retiring there.

When in Rome etc.....

_________________
sent from my laptop using my fingers - because we REALLY need to know where it's come from.....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thailand
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:23 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:20 pm
Posts: 326
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 86 times
Argyll wrote:
I'm currently in Pattaya Thailand. I thought I'd be able to get great deals on some DeWalt tools but they seem to be the same price if not more expensive. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

To cap it off I was stopped by the police on the way back and accused of not having a valid driving licence. I have but he wouldn't listen and kept writing out the ticket. Never wanted to lamp someone so much in my life but restrained my self. I don't fancy 20yrs in the Bangkok Hilton.

They confiscated my scooter so I had to pay a fine the next day to get it back. They gave me the keys back and allowed me to take it away :shock: It defies logic they would allow me to drive it away if they confiscated it from me in the first place because they thought I was driving it illegally.

When I collected the scooter from the impound yard they charged me another 'holding' fee. There must have been 600-1000 scooters here and full of farangs (foreigners). One Danish guy who lives here says he gets his scooter confiscated 2-3 times a month even though he has a licence.

I spoke to a Thai policeman who had an american accent. He said best just pay the fine rather than argue because they don't listen anyway :-)

Some scam they have here. They don't even hide how corrupt they are.

I always thought about retiring here but not keen on how foreigners are treated. I mean it's us that bring in the revenue for them.


The land of smiles is also the land of scams :-)

Thai police are paid very little which means they make up their wages with bonuses, paid by farangs :-)
They are known to plant drugs, very dangerous, Ive heard the solution is to buy your way out as quickly as you can.

Thai scams:
....wrong change scam....Thai gem scam....jet ski scam....tailor scam.....taxi scam.....tuk tuk scam........

Thais may be superficially very friendly, but all foreigners to them look like walking ATM's :-)

And the roads, oh gosh, about the most dangerous in the world! Bus drivers on ya-ba to stay awake.

Lovely scenery abd great weather though, if you're not dead :thumbright:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thailand
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:12 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:16 am
Posts: 1609
Location: Camberley Surrey
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 267 times
Similar deal, parked in a small market street and when I left did a 3 point turn, cop stopped me as I exited, my Thai passenger explained after 3:30 the street is one way for cars but the way I entered had no sign; my international license he did not want insisted the Thai passenger took over and fined her 555, I call it all good experience and something to talk about but many Falang forget to get an Itl. license and have motorbike included, many locals get caught without helmet yet it is not law for pillion passengers. Off next Sun to CNX.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thailand
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:13 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 pm
Posts: 2876
Has thanked: 739 times
Been thanked: 334 times
Quote:
so you should accept it or reconsider retiring there.


KE maybe you should absorb what I said. I think I did say I was reconsidering it :shock:

Aeromech I had a helmet and an international driving licence with all parts stamped including the motorbike section. As you say just walking ATM's


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thailand
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:42 am 
Online
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 pm
Posts: 2977
Has thanked: 897 times
Been thanked: 885 times
I've never been, and I'm not much of a traveller so probably never will.
Reading the various posts above, and having seen a program a bit back about what Far Eastern nick is like, I think I'll give it a miss. . . :shock:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thailand
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:24 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:43 am
Posts: 2898
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 395 times
You also gotta watch those Thai girlfriends.. Most of them have more meat and two veg than a Sunday roast. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thailand
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:42 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:20 pm
Posts: 326
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 86 times
Argyll wrote:
Quote:
so you should accept it or reconsider retiring there.


KE maybe you should absorb what I said. I think I did say I was reconsidering it :shock:

Aeromech I had a helmet and an international driving licence with all parts stamped including the motorbike section. As you say just walking ATM's


I believe at lot less people are moving to Thailand now, they are looking elsewhere, Phillipines for example, although its a poor country and scams are not uncommon, not surprising given the poorest end up eating pag pag.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thailand
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:58 pm 
Offline
Old School Chippie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm
Posts: 5158
Location: Lancashire
Has thanked: 592 times
Been thanked: 1227 times
Pag pag?

_________________
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thailand
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:10 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:47 pm
Posts: 363
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 165 times
had to look it up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagpag


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thailand
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 pm
Posts: 2876
Has thanked: 739 times
Been thanked: 334 times
joinerjohn wrote:
You also gotta watch those Thai girlfriends.. Most of them have more meat and two veg than a Sunday roast. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


I woke up during the night to a scream from the distance. My first thought was some ladyboy has been less than honest :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

Time zone: Europe/London


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Hilti


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO