DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:04 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Thailand
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 am 

I'm currently in Pattaya Thailand. I thought I'd be able to get great deals on some DeWalt tools but they seem to be the same price if not more expensive. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

To cap it off I was stopped by the police on the way back and accused of not having a valid driving licence. I have but he wouldn't listen and kept writing out the ticket. Never wanted to lamp someone so much in my life but restrained my self. I don't fancy 20yrs in the Bangkok Hilton.

They confiscated my scooter so I had to pay a fine the next day to get it back. They gave me the keys back and allowed me to take it away :shock: It defies logic they would allow me to drive it away if they confiscated it from me in the first place because they thought I was driving it illegally.

When I collected the scooter from the impound yard they charged me another 'holding' fee. There must have been 600-1000 scooters here and full of farangs (foreigners). One Danish guy who lives here says he gets his scooter confiscated 2-3 times a month even though he has a licence.

I spoke to a Thai policeman who had an american accent. He said best just pay the fine rather than argue because they don't listen anyway :-)

Some scam they have here. They don't even hide how corrupt they are.

I always thought about retiring here but not keen on how foreigners are treated. I mean it's us that bring in the revenue for them.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Thailand
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:46 am 

You should go to rocal shop for rocal people [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:31 pm 

Argyll wrote:
I always thought about retiring here but not keen on how foreigners are treated. I mean it's us that bring in the revenue for them.

I don't think you're approaching this in the right frame of mind. If you want to live in 'their' country then live by and adopt 'their' practises and habits - good and bad. We expect the same of immigrants to our country (well, we fervently WISH they'd act that way.... sadly they don't) so you should accept it or reconsider retiring there.

When in Rome etc.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:23 pm 

Argyll wrote:
I'm currently in Pattaya Thailand. I thought I'd be able to get great deals on some DeWalt tools but they seem to be the same price if not more expensive. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

To cap it off I was stopped by the police on the way back and accused of not having a valid driving licence. I have but he wouldn't listen and kept writing out the ticket. Never wanted to lamp someone so much in my life but restrained my self. I don't fancy 20yrs in the Bangkok Hilton.

They confiscated my scooter so I had to pay a fine the next day to get it back. They gave me the keys back and allowed me to take it away :shock: It defies logic they would allow me to drive it away if they confiscated it from me in the first place because they thought I was driving it illegally.

When I collected the scooter from the impound yard they charged me another 'holding' fee. There must have been 600-1000 scooters here and full of farangs (foreigners). One Danish guy who lives here says he gets his scooter confiscated 2-3 times a month even though he has a licence.

I spoke to a Thai policeman who had an american accent. He said best just pay the fine rather than argue because they don't listen anyway :-)

Some scam they have here. They don't even hide how corrupt they are.

The land of smiles is also the land of scams :-)

Thai police are paid very little which means they make up their wages with bonuses, paid by farangs :-)
They are known to plant drugs, very dangerous, Ive heard the solution is to buy your way out as quickly as you can.

Thai scams:
....wrong change scam....Thai gem scam....jet ski scam....tailor scam.....taxi scam.....tuk tuk scam........

Thais may be superficially very friendly, but all foreigners to them look like walking ATM's :-)

And the roads, oh gosh, about the most dangerous in the world! Bus drivers on ya-ba to stay awake.

Lovely scenery abd great weather though, if you're not dead :thumbright:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:12 pm 

Similar deal, parked in a small market street and when I left did a 3 point turn, cop stopped me as I exited, my Thai passenger explained after 3:30 the street is one way for cars but the way I entered had no sign; my international license he did not want insisted the Thai passenger took over and fined her 555, I call it all good experience and something to talk about but many Falang forget to get an Itl. license and have motorbike included, many locals get caught without helmet yet it is not law for pillion passengers. Off next Sun to CNX.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:13 am 

Quote:
so you should accept it or reconsider retiring there.

KE maybe you should absorb what I said. I think I did say I was reconsidering it :shock:

Aeromech I had a helmet and an international driving licence with all parts stamped including the motorbike section. As you say just walking ATM's

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:42 am 

I've never been, and I'm not much of a traveller so probably never will.
Reading the various posts above, and having seen a program a bit back about what Far Eastern nick is like, I think I'll give it a miss. . . :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:24 pm 

You also gotta watch those Thai girlfriends.. Most of them have more meat and two veg than a Sunday roast. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:42 pm 

Argyll wrote:
Quote:
so you should accept it or reconsider retiring there.

KE maybe you should absorb what I said. I think I did say I was reconsidering it :shock:

Aeromech I had a helmet and an international driving licence with all parts stamped including the motorbike section. As you say just walking ATM's

I believe at lot less people are moving to Thailand now, they are looking elsewhere, Phillipines for example, although its a poor country and scams are not uncommon, not surprising given the poorest end up eating pag pag.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:58 pm 
Old School Chippie

Pag pag?

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:10 am 

had to look it up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagpag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 am 

joinerjohn wrote:
You also gotta watch those Thai girlfriends.. Most of them have more meat and two veg than a Sunday roast. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I woke up during the night to a scream from the distance. My first thought was some ladyboy has been less than honest :lol:

Time zone: Europe/London