DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:35 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:58 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello,
being inexperienced & young, I eventually bought my first electronic jigsaw last year and my first project was to put a second workbench up in the shed.
I decided on 25mm plywood and while terrible at measurements, I somehow managed to get the table up and centered with a sprit level, but my incompetence..had got impatient and started getting sloppy with my measurements, which lead to this unpleasant void of a gap in the side of the workbench.
Here is the whole workbench from the shed door:
Here is another close up of the "void"

What can I do about this gap, is it possible to fill the entire gap with wood filler, or something equally as effective?
Would it be better to start again entirely? (really don't want to).
*decided to put a leg on the far right of the table to make up for the gap to give the workbench a little more stability.

Maybe another alternative would be to just put a thinner OSB sheet over the top of the ply instead?
Thanks for the help.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:32 pm 

Fill it with a piece of solid wood or board the right size and thickness to fill the gap.
"Measure twice cut once"
Bigger piece or a couple of pieces of whatever to bridge between the top pieces and give something to screw the top piece to.
It's a bench. Doesn't matter too much what it looks like as long as stuff doesn't drop through the gap.
Don't use filler. It won't fill gaps that big.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

Dave54 wrote:
Fill it with a piece of solid wood or board the right size and thickness to fill the gap.
"Measure twice cut once"
Bigger piece or a couple of pieces of whatever to bridge between the top pieces and give something to screw the top piece to.
It's a bench. Doesn't matter too much what it looks like as long as stuff doesn't drop through the gap.
Don't use filler. It won't fill gaps that big.

Thanks for the reply.
There is a support beam under the gap at least, so maybe instead I could fill the gap with polyfilla and then paint over it in light brown (similar to the ply) perhaps?
Might need a big tub of that stuff to fill the gap, but as you have advised, I may decide to put another plank of wood across the bottom of the workbench just to give it a bit more stability, as the the support beam under the gap is losing quite a lot of surface area from the table.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:02 pm 

Any sort of filler will be a waste of time IMHO. If you subject the bench to any vibration, such as hammering, it'll just break up. Filler's for filling small non-stressed cracks for painting etc,. It's not for anything "structural"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:45 pm 
Pro Carpenter

wheres the bit you cut out :dunno:
yes at the outer end it will be 2 blade offset shy[about 3mm] it will be ok in the center

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:52 pm 

With enough skill it can be patched in flush, but for an easy option I'd probably make some sort of tool holder to cover it: a bit like a small wooden rectangular bucket, make the base so that it covers the gap and build a box off of that. It's known as "making a feature of it" and is a ploy often used to cover up cock-ups. :shock: :wink:

If you really want to patch it in flush, use some board of the same thickness as the existing top, scribe it around that strange pole, then cut the other three sides to the size you want and use that as a template to cut some more out of the top, fit cleats under the edges and glue the patch in. Try and avoid having any screws fixing it all down, you will regret it one day if you have screws in a bench top.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:26 am 

Move the whole thing to the right ( and possibly backwards too) means only one gap to fill in , fill in with timber or cover with ayjay's suggestion of a tool rack.