DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:10 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:25 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi chaps
so I've recently moved into a new house, it has an old Scantronics 9600 alarm which appears to have no power (keypad is dead) and I've been told does not work by the previous owners.

Last weekend I finally had my fiber broadband installed. The Openreach engineer mentioned their was a foreign signle on the telephone line and recommended we didn't connect the telephone extensions in case it interfered with the line but that that the main broadband should not be affected. Anyway broadband went live but instead of 40mb download I'm getting under 2!

I reported the fault to my provider but they says it's all fine their end and are blaming my internal wiring, I suspect this is possibly being caused by auto dial in the burglar alarm but can anybody suggest how I can disconnect the alarm from the line? Is this something I need to do at the master socket or should I open the alarm control box and try to remove the connection from there? I'm not interested in keeping the alarm, i'll probably replace with a wireless system in time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:54 pm 

Its not the alarm.
A scantronic 9600 can have a digital communicator fitted, IF it has it only uses the line when the alarm goes into alarm condition.
It has been known for the digital communicator to cause problems (very rare) and when it does, you can not use the phone line, since your phone line is working, it can not be the alarm.

Also, if, as you say you did NOT connect any of the extensions, how could the alarm affect the phone line if its not connected?

It may be you have a crushed phone line (internal) that is causing you problems.

If you STILL want to disconnect the phone line from the alarm (Assuming it is connected) its very easy.
The digital communicator plugs onto the main board, it has a phone line connected to it, you take the phone line off.
I don't have a 9600 here any more, so I will have to ask you to open the lid on yours, take a picture of it and post it here (That is the inside of the panel, not the lid) Then I can tell you exactly where the phone line is.

Posting picture info is in my signature

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Ryles
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:08 pm 
Newly registered Member

thanks for the reply, how likely is the alarm to go off if I open the control panel? The thing looks dead but i'm not 100% sure and I have no ladders to reach the external bell.

I get your point it not being the alarm but likewise if it was a damaged internal line how could that affect the broadband if they are also not connected?

I will post a pic as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:38 pm 

If as you say the phone extensions are not connected then the problem is NOT at your premises.

Have you taken the front of your phone socket off? (the bottom part) as that is where anything / phone extensions should be connected to.

Attachment:
bts.jpg
bts.jpg [ 101.06 KiB | Viewed 546 times ]

Does your phone connection look like this one?

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Ryles
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:04 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi Plusnet finally admitted their was a fault on my connection and managed to fix it, it was as you said, nothing to do with the burglar alarm ::b

Thanks for the replies and the help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:06 am 

:thumbright: