DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:40 pm

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

my father taught me the basics of electrics and working with electrics and that you have a to turn it off at the consumer unit to isolate it
while working have put in my own plugs and lighting in the attick no problems !
however I re-married and inherited a 3 bedroom bungalow.
when we got married my wifes ex husband left the bungalow in sh**order and the Bathroom light stopped working due to what I thought was because the roof was leaking and I thought it had gone on the electrics this has now been dealt with .

I renewed the old bathroom light with a batton light (as he had a pendant light in there ) and a new pull switch. I was careful to mark the switched cable when I removed the old I have it wired up correctly but it still will not work.

there is power on all three red live wires the switched live is live but the switched neutral(black wire ) is not live even if i operate the Pull switch .
on the pull switch the red is live and the black on the neutral there is nothing even when I operate the pull switch I cannot fathom it out!
why it wont work ?? by all intention purposes it should work. I even by-passed the switch wiring, removing the wires on the light and pull switch and connecting the switch up and light with the by-passed cable using twin and earth wire and the effect was the same.
I cannot trace the wiring along the bathroom as it is flat roofed and cannot access it as the space is too small!.

can anyone help please, I cannot afford a electrician as I am a carer for two special needs boys and is a full time Job, my wife even cannot go to work because it requires both to be at home in case we have to go to their school etc at a moments notice thanks in anticipation of your help.
I have edited this post in an attempt to make it comprehensible. Mod 2.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:03 pm 

partack wrote:

I renewed the old bathroom light with a batton light (as he had a pendant light in there ) and a new pull switch. I was careful to mark the switched cable when I removed the old I have it wired up correctly but it still will not work.

there is power on all three red live wires the switched live is live but the switched neutral(black wire ) is not live even if i operate the Pull switch .
on the pull switch the red is live and the black on the neutral there is nothing even when I operate the pull switch I cannot fathom it out!

I have edited this post in an attempt to make it comprehensible. Mod 2.

Hi Partack :welcomeuhm: , you have provided a lot of information there, most of which is irrelevant. I have tried to quote the relevant bits from your post above; Nice to know that all 3 reds are "Live", the switched neutral you refer to should, in theory actually be a switched live.
However it may be that the pull-cord switch switch that you have bought is the wrong type, and is a double -pole isolator for a shower unit, rather than a single for a lighting circuit.

If you have a digital camera please take pics of the wiring at the light and the switch (As you were taught, Electric off) and post them here.

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : partack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:42 pm 
Newly registered Member

here is 4 photo's of the wiring and type of pull switch installing

Attachments:
File comment: view of type of pull switch
pull switch.JPG
pull switch.JPG [ 19.43 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]
File comment: close up of Bathroom pull switch wiring
close up of pull switch.jpg
close up of pull switch.jpg [ 40.79 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]
File comment: overview of Bathroom light
overview of type of lightsocket.JPG
overview of type of lightsocket.JPG [ 22.09 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]
File comment: close up of light wiring
close up of light wiring.JPG
close up of light wiring.JPG [ 33.7 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:15 pm 
BANNED

have you tested basic continuity across the terminals on the pull switch

are the contacts you have connected to actually opening and closing as expected ?

For this message the author sean_ork has received gratitude : partack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:26 pm 
Newly registered Member

Sean on the pull switch the red live wire is live there is electricity running into the terminal there is obviously no electricity going through the neutral Black wire and terminal!

(are the contacts you have connected to actually opening and closing as expected ?) not sure what you mean if you mean does the switch click when you pull it the answer is yes! it is a new Pull switch!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:11 pm 
Newly registered Member

It didn't even enter my mind that a Brand new pull switch would be faulty. They say two minds are better than one all working now and very pleased