DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03 pm 
Borders Bodger

There was a recent post about how to build an cupboard in an Alcove and today I was clearing out my dining room today and found a load of photos, including a series I took of putting together a wall-width wardrobe within a pair of alcoves which worked out pretty well, so scanned them in and here it is ............

Part of area that the wardrobe will cover

Measured up the width and heights and decided that a full length louvre door and a small louvre door on top would be a good fit, with the remainder being taken up by a top facia

Laid the wood on the floor and constructed the frames in the room (one each side), then fitted the doors
I have NO idea why there is a bucket sitting in the middle of the frame in this photo :scratch:
and there is another mistake which I only spotted too late when putting this together - not sure who will spot it first :-P

Screwed the frames to the wall and fitted a piece of MDF to each inner side, cut to depth, to enclose the unit.

and then using MDF as the facia across the top. This has to be scribed appropriately along the top as the ceiling by the window was about 4" lower then the ceiling by the centre supporting wall :shock:

Then coving fitted, and the doors and sides undercoated

At the top are a set of spot lights above the alcove (which was before actually a chimney breast) and then painted in my usual subtle colours :lol:
On this side the two doors on the left are wardrobes with the main and upper doors linked together with a bracket, and the top door on the right opens independantly to expose a little 14" TV for occasional use.

And the other side ....

I also added a double socket in the wardrobe on the left for power ready for the TV and Lights, and a socket in the new alcove for hairdryer, straightners, what-have-you :thumbright:

Final fittings not in these pictures are the doorknobs, the little bits of trim under the main doors to tidy the look up and the shelf and mirror in the alcove as a mini dresser-shelf.

Whole lot was very easy to do, pretty cheap with plan sawn wood plus doors, and just needed basic tools and knowledge to build.

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in