DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:16 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:39 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi Folks,

I'm undertaking a large house extension project and part of this project involves building a large retaining wall which wraps around two side of the house in a 'L' shape. The house sits of a fairly steep hill side, with half the garden being roughly level with the first floor level. Currently this land is sloped. I'd like to build a retaining wall to roughly 1m off the house which will provide a clear border between the garden and house, but also allow me to level this upper garden are into 3 tiers.

The site slopes in many directions but the wall I'll be building will be between 2m and 3m in height.

I have been trying to research retaining walls online but most examples are less than 1200mm high. As I'm taking on something a lot higher I was wondering if there was anyone who might have experience in this type of project who could point me in the right direction. I'm happy to tackle a lot of the grunt work myself, but will be looking to bring in pros to do the actual wall. I just want to be as clued up as possible when talking to these people and also look to see if there are any unusual build methods that I should be considering.

Only other thing to mention is that my home is accessed via a narrow road so I'm limited to a LWB transit van for delivering materials.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers all,

Dan

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:49 am 

I'd say for a retaining wall of that height you need professional advice (on site, to ascertain the ground conditions and make up) from a civil/structural engineer.

It's not something to be just thrown up as you (or a general builder/bricklayer) think best, but I think you probably realise that already.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:06 pm 

While I agree with what ayjay says, I also think that the use of Gabians might be worth considering as a cheaper option. It would be prudent to employ a Structural engineer to design a suitable solution.

Davyp1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:02 pm 

Small retaining walls can be DIY jobs, but things of this size and importance (it sounds like the house may even be at risk if the land slips) are probably best designed by an expert, with insurance.

It depends on circumstances, but they may still be able to specify something you could build yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 pm 
Pro Carpenter

another though as it a metre from the house wall could this be classified as a raised garden area greater than 300mm needing planning permission :dunno:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:26 am 

You need professional advice. It is not only about the wall, but there could also be a lot of water that has to drain through the wall and only 1 metre width for the water to escape to.