DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:46 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: BT Faceplate wiring help
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:44 am 
Newly registered Member

Does anyone know anything about the face plate wiring on an old BT plug in master socket? I’ve recently had endless problems with broadband dropping every few minutes & have spoken numerous times to BT’s helpline. Each time I did so I was advised to test my phone in the master socket. Eventually I found that with the ADSL filter plus hub in the master socket I can get an OK connection – but not with the face plate replaced and anything plugged into the outer socket so obviously I have some sort of internal wiring fault. My problem is now that as I look at the wires on the face plate there are only two – a green wire connected to terminal 3 and a brown wire that isn’t connected to anything. Did I dislodge it during all the times I’ve unscrewed the plate? And if it should be connected, where does it go?

The master socket was installed in 1976 and converted to a plug in connection by BT about 20 years ago. The face plate has 6 terminals in 2 groups of three

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:15 pm 
Deceased 07-06-2012 R.I.P

A few questions first.
1) Do you have any extensions wired off this master socket?

2) What colour wires are connected to the old master socket from the drop wire (the one that comes in from the telephone pole)?

3) Is your router near the master socket or connected via an extension ?

Get yourself a new NTE5 socket, Maplins sell them or on Amazon from the link >> http://amzn.to/vRlqdq <<

Connect the two wires from the drop flex that are connected as in Q2) to the A & B terminals in the back. Either way round will do.

If you have extensions as in Q1 open one up and see what colour cables are connected to which terminals, should be in 2 an 5.
Connect the same colours to the same terminals in the master socket.

Just a pointer that you are NOT allowed to mess with or change the NTE5 master socket. (But we won't tell) :wink:

Also, :welcome: to the forums.

dave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:20 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Dave
Thank you for such a quick response. In answer to your queries
1)There is an upstairs extension but the wiring for it comes from a junction box in the attic; I have no idea how
2) The wires form the drop flex are - one green and one borwn. The borwn one id floating about on its own & I'm not sure if I disloged it?
3) The router (BT Home Hub) is less than one metre away from the Master Socket

Appreciate the comment re BT - you'd never get through to them anyway

I've tried to attatch some pics to illustrate the sockets etc

Regards Judith

Attachments:
Upstairs Socket.gif
Upstairs Socket.gif [ 229.41 KiB | Viewed 4942 times ]
Master Socket b.gif
Master Socket b.gif [ 557.81 KiB | Viewed 4942 times ]
Master Socket a.gif
Master Socket a.gif [ 203.36 KiB | Viewed 4942 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:48 pm 

The orange and blue are the two that you need in the extension socket. But that 4 core cable does not show in your master socket.

Not sure what the junction box in the loft does, either, UNLESS someone has intercepted the drop flex and tee'd off it to the upstairs socket, and continued the drop to the master socket. I suspect they may have because the brown and green in Pic 3 don't look like standard drop flex, which is normally six or eight core, with four different coloured ones and two or four black ones.
Where are the green and brown in picture 3 connected, are they the ones in Pic 2 where one is to terminal 3 and the other broken off?

I suspect that the green and brown are from the junction box in the loft. Take the master socket off the wall and if nothing is connected to A & B, clean up the green and brown and connect them to A & B in any order. Just dont let the bare wires touch whilst doing this.

A picture of the master from a little further away may be helpful.

Try what I suggested and if it does not work post a picture and say what is happening.

just a point, is the upstairs exstension used and do you have any extensions downstairs?
dave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:23 pm 
Newly registered Member

I think I'm getting out of my depth here so please excuse any dimness on my part.
Re your last reply
I guess you're right about the attic junction box; I've been up to see & taken a pic which I hope means more to you than it does me? I have also drawn a diagram of where the connections are in the house

Back to the green & brown wires. I've looked behind BT'S top half of the face plate & there are green & brown wires there. Not sure what they do so have attached another pic.

If I need to connect to A & B. Sorry but how to I identify A & B when my teminals only have numbers?

The upstairs extension has a plug in phone in use & works OK

There are no other extensions (thank goodness)

Finally this is a link to Bt types of sockets. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm
Mine is NTE 5A And the face plate is as the pre 2007 illustration (apart form the colour of the wires natch)

I really appreciate your input. Thanks J

Attachments:
File comment: Behind Top Half Of Face Plate
Top Half Of Face Plate.gif
Top Half Of Face Plate.gif [ 227.81 KiB | Viewed 4918 times ]
File comment: Diagram Of Where Cables Come & Go
BT Cable.gif
BT Cable.gif [ 9.85 KiB | Viewed 4918 times ]
File comment: Junction Box In Attic
BT ATTIC.gif
BT ATTIC.gif [ 259.34 KiB | Viewed 4918 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:03 pm 

J,
The green and brown that are connected to the back of the master socket are fine, that is where your A & B terminals are. Can just make out a 'B' mark on the terminal plate next to where the brown wire is connected.

The other end of those two wires should be connected to the screw terminals in the junction box from the wire marked "Runs across attic and down to master socket".
Because of the twisted unused wires it is not too clear what is connected up where.
Can you see where the wires go, are they connected to the other screws of the two terminals which are also marked as being from the telegraph pole?

As you don't have any extensions running off the master socket, I can see no reason to have the green, which is connected to terminal 3 nor the brown which is not connected, there at all. try pulling out the green from the push down connector. All I can think is that someone ran an extension from it at some time and then removed the extension.

dave

For this message the author dave.m has received gratitude : jaymbee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:53 pm 
Newly registered Member

I'll try disconnecting the green wire (when I've found the thingy to put it back if needs be).

I did check if all the terminal screws were tight in the attic junction box but I'll see if I can get a better look inside for what goes where

Only we have lived in this propery since the original BT installation of a phone line in 1976 and there has never been an extension run from the downstairs master socket. The upstairs thingy was added by a friend about 25 years ago but we've long since lost touch

Thanks again
J

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

The green wire is now diconnected and so far all is well; the phones ring, the hub doesn't drop out & I have the huge added bonus of not having to try to speak to BT.
With my newfound knowledge I was tempted to have a go at installing a new NTE5 box but thought it prudent to quit whilst I was ahead
A million thanks to Dave for all the help

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:36 am 

It is a mystery where the green (connected to terminal 3) and brown wire (disconnected) go.
If you did have an extension fed off that master, it would be connected to 2 & 5 , the wire to term 3 was where the ring wire used to be connected, but we say that if you come across any as I have just described, to pull out the wire in 3 and wrap it up with any other disconnected wires, it is not needed and can cause broadband problems.

Glad it is sorted. Thanks for letting us know.

dave

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]