DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: BT Broadband
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:40 pm 

I have been with Tiscali/Talk Talk for the last 6/7 years, without any issues, but over the last few weeks, I am having problems logging onto any site including Talk Talk to check e-mails, and what is most infuriating is, it takes about 5/6 attempts to get onto UHM, messages like " oops cannot find UHM ".
Daughter is suffering big time trying to source info for her university work.
Talk Talk, when you can eventually talk to someone, tell me there are no known problems in my area.
I only have a basic broadband package with them at £15.00+ per month which has served us well over the last 6/7 years.
I have spoken to BT who have offered me a package with unlimited downloads and stuff that means absolutely nothing to me for £16-00.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/p ... packid=ubb

My Knowledge of anything IT is very limited, so basically are BT any good or should I be looking anywhere else

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

Post subject: Re: BT Broadband
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:46 pm 
Pro Carpenter

if the problems at your end[your house]or to the exchange it wont make any difference as its the same wires :dunno:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:49 pm 

Try "speedtest" dot net...see what speeds you are getting...

http://speedtest.net/

Post your results.....
Also what antivirus are you running??

Have you cleared your cache and temporary files..

What spec PC ? and how old??

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

Last edited by wine~o on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:51 pm 
Troll Headbutter

Blakey,

Before you change, it might be worth looking at some other bits first - you don't want to have to change broadband providers if you are happy if that is not the problem.

Can you answer any of the following (if you want to, of course)....

- Is this one computer or multiple?
- What operating system (are you using Windows, Mac or Linux?)
- What browser are you using and have you tried others (it's not an Internet Explorer message, so assuming you are using others)
- Are you connecting wireless or wired (did they give you a router/modem in the package)?
- Are you using any software on the computer, like antivirus/firewall/protection....?

Also, have you moved or changed anything on the phones recently - added things, moved stuff around perhaps? If you have multiple phone sockets, do they all have the filters in place?

Regards,

BG

Edit...not close to Reading are you, I'm there tomorrow... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:54 pm 

we had a year with talk talk, our download speed was .3mb to sometimes 1mb maximum,most of the time nothing on the internet would load.
After phoning talktalk nearly everyday for 6 months and complaining they reluctantly sent out an engineer who said everything was fine in the building and the fault was with BT outside of the building, BT came out and check everything and said it was all fine.
We finally had enough of talk talks incompetence and excuses and changed to BT, we now get 6.5mb speed consistently.

The only possible reason for the low speeds is something is wrong at Talk talk. Also worth noting they were voted the worst company in the UK for 3 years in a row i ithink.

I would definately recommend getting away from talktalk ASAP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:13 pm 

If it helps.
Unless you have a cable company the chances are the Broadband is coming down cables owned by BT.
Your Internet Service Provider rents the lines etc. They have no real idea if there is anything wrong since they don't have access to the actual line. If they really think there is a problem they call Open Reach who come out and fix it and bill the ISP. They don't like getting bills from O.R. You can't call O.R. as you have no direct contract with them, so you have to keep calling your ISP
Myself, I am with BT (always have been) I can call open reach if I need to no problem. I like BT.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:15 pm 

Thanks one and all for the reply's,
BG,
I have an old HP laptop NX9420 with windows 7 and my Daughter uses an Apple laptop 3/4 years old.
The messages that I get " Google chrome can't find UHM" or whatever site i am looking at.
Wireless Connection.modem bought from PC world.Netgear.
Avast is the only antivirus that I have on my computer.
No changes on the phones.

Daughter not home so cant ask exactly what she has on her laptop, but nothing has been added in the last few months.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:17 pm 

OnFirePhotography wrote:
we had a year with talk talk, our download speed was .3mb to sometimes 1mb maximum,most of the time nothing on the internet would load.
After phoning talktalk nearly everyday for 6 months and complaining they reluctantly sent out an engineer who said everything was fine in the building and the fault was with BT outside of the building, BT came out and check everything and said it was all fine.
We finally had enough of talk talks incompetence and excuses and changed to BT, we now get 6.5mb speed consistently.

The only possible reason for the low speeds is something is wrong at Talk talk. Also worth noting they were voted the worst company in the UK for 3 years in a row i ithink.

I would definately recommend getting away from talktalk ASAP

I've been with Talk Talk for 3 years, Broadband and phone, and apart from a few initial set up issues..they're fine...

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:36 pm 
Pro Carpenter

i have been with talk talk for most off the the last 8 years get the odd drop out most days but not to worried

the bit i like best is is the £9.50 a month line rental by paying up front for the year :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:53 pm 

BA,
You are not far from me, have you had any probs over the last month.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:57 pm 

Sample of message when trying to log onto talktalk.

This webpage is not available
The server at www.talktalk.co.uk can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
Check your Internet connection. Restart any router, modem, or other network devices you may be using.
Check your DNS settings. Contact your network administrator if you're not sure what this means.
Try disabling network prediction by following these steps: Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > Show advanced settings... and deselect "Predict network actions to improve page load performance." If this does not resolve the issue, we recommend selecting this option again for improved performance.
Add Google Chrome as a permitted program in your firewall's or antivirus software's settings. If it is already a permitted program, try deleting it from the list of permitted programs and adding it again.
If you use a proxy server, check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server, adjust your proxy settings: Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > Show advanced settings... > Change proxy settings... > LAN Settings and deselect the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" checkbox.
Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): Unable to resolve the server's DNS address.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:59 pm 

Blakey wrote:
BA,

I would say question is irrelevant, sorry.
Multitude of reasons, main ones are
Different cable than you, probably different exchange than you.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:04 pm 
Pro Carpenter

Blakey wrote:
BA,

yes my son has noticed
it dosnt bother me if its playing up i play freecell or go and do the woodwork i should be doing anyway :lol: :lol:

i keep saying its a ploy to try and make us change to fiber optics after completion last year:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:20 pm 

Again Thanks one and all,

Someone-else, my knowledge of anything IT is very,very,very limited, hence all the questions ::b :B

BA I agree with you,I can always find something that needs doing DIY etc, but Daughter is starting to climb up the walls and having to go to relatives to complete projects is starting to get ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:44 pm 
Pro Carpenter

most interuptions are a few seconds maybe 5 mins total over the whole day so no problem to me but must be annoying when playing say a football game :lol:
there is the odd 5 mins break every week or so and the odd 10 to 60 mins every few months but that could be related to the upgrade :dunno:

lol just took 3 mins to post as the internet dropped out so 2 games off freecell later :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next