DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:05 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:05 am 
Newly registered Member

Hello all
We’ve just painted our hall ceiling with Wickes Matt white emulsion and the brush strokes show. This also happened in our bedroom ceiling but as the weather was very hot we thought it was the heat. Could it be the emulsion isn’t good enough? We are near to a dulux decorating centre and wondered if we should get dulux emulsion?
Any help appreciated, thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:00 am 

:welcomeuhm:

A number of things. If you see the strokes in natural day light then it is bad. If you see the strokes because your light source (bulb(s)) are too near the ceiling then it is a bit expected.

Since you have brushed[*] the paint, you should really dilute it a little bit (I can't speak for Wickes paint but I would not bother with Dulux anyway). A little being 5% water added? If you dilute a touch too much the worse that can happen is you may have to do an extra coat of paint. If you have done the ceiling in one coat you have the answer to your problem, you put the paint on thick and you got the result. If you do it in three coats (like me), well keep practising you can only get better. Use a wider than a narrower brush 3" minimum or just use a roller which will produce a more even surface called orange peel. Other bits are, keep the room as cold as possible whilst painting, and I personally find ceilings much more absorbent than walls (the houses I have touched did not have plasterboard walls).

BTW. If it is not clear, I am not a professional :mrgreen:

---
[*] Good trade paints need some dilution but you have the catch of ... smoother surface is achieved with more dilution, but the more dilution the more coats that may be needed, so the trick is to add enough water and get a good result with two coats of paint. I will say no more so I don't start digging a hole for me and will go back to my grape juice of 40% proof. 'ick.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:27 am 

Did you paint the whole ceiling with a brush? Or, did you just use the brush around the edges and light fitting and then roller the rest?

Although I almost always use Dulux, Wickes paint is fairly good, so the problem is likely to be technique. Follow OchAye's excellent advice.

If you do buy Dulux paint, buy the Trade version but don't buy it from a Dulux Decorator Centre as they are very expensive. If you have no other Dulux Trade supplier near you, you'll be able buy it cheaper online, even taking into account the P&P charges, than you would in a Decorator Centre.

For this message the author Tom d'Angler has received gratitude : OchAye
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:09 pm 

And one more tip that I forgot, do not brush over paint when it is drying esp. if you are using thick paint.