DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:23 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

Recently moved to a new home, where it had a two storey side extension over the existing driveway to the side of the house. This extension has ANOTHER FRONT DOOR entrance (don't ask me why!) which I want to block up. The house was built in the 30's, if that helps, and the external is rendered with pebble dashing. How should I brick this up, ie. what bricks should be used, should there be a cavity, what cement, etc. I'm a complete novice when building, but OK with all other aspects of DIY.

I'm also hoping to do the same for some garage windows. Again, any advice on how to do this is great.

Thanks, Kuchars22

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:22 am 
Site Admin

I'm not sure if you will need planning permission to do this, so you best check with your local building control department first!

I'd start off with a couple of courses of engineering bricks for the first few courses, so that it will prevent rising damp, or use a Damp proof membrane!

I'd just get some common building bricks and brick it back up, but you need to key the new bricks in with the old bricks.

I'm assuming that the existing wall is a cavity wall?

You will see this when you remove the door lining, Both courses of brick will need keying into the existing brickwork and wall ties should also be used to hold them together.

For the cement a mix of 1 cement, to 4 building sand should be ok, measured by volume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:05 pm 

Hi Kuchars22,

1. remove door and frame/lining then see what the outer and inner skin/wall is constructed of (either concrete block or common bricks for the outer and either lightweight blocks or brick for the inner) try to keep the materials the same as used on the existing as this will minimise cracking.
2. chop any plaster or render away from the reveals (neatly) as this will make it easier to plaster or render back in.
3. make sure you set new brickwork / blockwork back enough to take relevant coats of plaster/render and remember to continue DPC to match existing.
4.All courses of blocks should be tied in with mechanical ties (ie screw in) at every course this does not apply to brickwork as this is every 3rd course (to match blockwork) also wall ties should be used on the dpc course first to stop the insulation falling below then wall tie every 450 vertical and 900mm horizontal (this way insulation will fit between ties.

Usually you do not need any planning permission to block up doors or windows, only if you are creating new openings but as UHM has said it may differ from council to council so i would just check.

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:32 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for that, I'll check with the council, never thought any PP was required.

Thanks