DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:32 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Brick Shed Build
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:02 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

I asked the below question a while back and got a response to the planning side of it but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the costs required to build this /get it built

Originall question in RED but what i'd l9ike to know is BLUE

Im looking to build a brick shed in my garden, not 100% on the exact size yet but it'll be a bit longer and wider ( and higher if im aloud) than a average garage.

It wont be attached to my house, it'll be right at the bottom of our garden, there will be at least a metre gap around the sides and back. It will be position across our garden so the doors/windows will be on the side facing my house. It'll be a flat roof that slightly slopes towards the back.

Im not fussed about plumbing out to it, but even if i were im sure i could do that part, im an electrician so the electrics is fine.

Can anyone give me any advice as to wether i'd need planning permission or not?

Also what the costs would be for me doing it myself, roughly of course as i know without proper measurements its a nightmare. But basing it on the average garage size, 1 door and 1 window, flat roof.

And if there is a builder out there what kind of price i'd hbe looking at if done by a profesional, again based on the above size and scope.

Anything else you might need to know please ask
Hope this makes sense,

Cheers
Shawn

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject: Re: Brick Shed Build
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:17 pm 

ok, let's have a stab at costing this for you. I'll have to assume that you are wanting a price for a custom built shed and have dismissed the off-the-shelf garages for whatever reason.

You have specified brick, not concrete block.

As i am sitting in a double garage with a flat roof, I'll base the quantities of materials on those around me.

You will need :

concrete floor
16 rafters @ 3600 x 150 x 47mm
OSB sheets
roofing felt
5000 bricks (cement & sand)
door
window
guttering & downpipes

I will assume that the ground is level.

I would estimate the labour at around £2100 and the materials at around £2900, giving you a grand total of £5000.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:27 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the reply Phil,

I was planning on possibly doing the work between myself and my dad so that costs the labour out.

How much difference would concrete blocks affect the price for materials?

I have also looked at the pre fab concrete workshops but not sure if they are any good for the money.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Shawn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:19 pm 

Blocks will be ten times quicker and, depending on the bricks, about half the price, but then you have to render or clad.

If you are considering rendering, then forget brick and block and make the whole thing out of 6x2 timber, then insulate, membrane and render to suit. Much quicker, requires less skill and cheaper still. Building control will allow this method if done properly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:33 pm 

Hi again Shawn,

Concrete blocks are much cheaper than bricks by volume, both in material price and labour costs. You would be looking at around £1300 for materials (based on the same dimensions used in the example above) if you went down that route.
There is a massive range of pre-cast concrete garages available. Generally, you get what you pay for so some are good, some bad.
You will need to shop around and see if you can find the layout you need at the price you are comfortable with. Then you can make comparisons with what you could build yourself and draw your own conclusions about what compromises you can afford to make, if any.