DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 9:24 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a property and planning to upgrade the utility room into a shower + utility space. This is a 1930's brick semi. The utlity room was the kitchen in the original house. The current owners turned it into utlity room when they extended the proprty to build a big kitchen. I noticed today there is a brick column-like structure coming down one corner from the ceiling into the room. It ends halfway into the room. It looks like its hollow inside as there is a plastic vent attached to it. When I tapped it, it sounded like a brick structure. I checked on the first floor and the structure continues upwards through the hot watr cupboard all the way into the loft. Couldn't check in the loft as I didn't have a ladder handy. Any idea what this could be? If this isn't anything functional, I'm thinking of knocking it out in the utility room and make the wall flush. That would make a nice corner to install the shower enclosure.

Any ideas what this structure could be? Any help is highly appreciated.

PS I didn't get snap but I've tried to make a sketch it that helps.

Attachment:
drawing.png
drawing.png [ 154.09 KiB | Viewed 521 times ]

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:25 pm 

I suspect it is an old flue built in the house for an old solid fuel boiler. It will probably lead up through the roof into a chimney. A lot of these were used for conventional flue gas boilers in the 60's when the flue had a Kopex lining added,I would say it is redundant now.

I am not sure if you need gallows brackets under the stack if you chop it out I am sure others will advise you on this in due course. :thumbright:

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:43 pm 

i agree with DWD in that it is probably a redundant Flue.
Check externally to see if there is a chimney. If there is, chimney that is where you could start the task of removal, then follow down through the loft area down to the ground floor.
It may be that a previous owner has removed the chimney, so you need to check also in the loft area.
Should you decide to proceed, additional advice can be given.

Davyp1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

DWD and Davyp1 - thanks a lot for your answers. It's definitely reassuring. There's existing chimney externally, but I'm yet to check inside the loft. How much work do you think is involved in removing this altogether? I'm used to small diy projects and quite comfortable with electricals and woodworks but never done masonry or brick related work. I'd probably get a professional to do this if it's tricky. It'd be great to hear your opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:34 pm 

It is something you need checked by a professional really. These flues are usually keyed brickwork but you are looking at a weight. A support might be added under the remaining stack so you can just remove the bit that is obtrusive, but this needs to be checked. I am not sure if is notifiable to Building Control.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : eyedee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:58 pm 
Newly registered Member

That's very useful DWD. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:13 am 

It appears to be a grey issue as to whether Building Regs are required for chimney removal or not!
Thoughts on the matter seem to vary in different parts of the country; although nothing definitive exists.
My feeling in advising you would suggest that you contact your local Planning Office and follow their direction.

If you did decide to remove the chimney and flue "from top to bottom" the following may help:

http://www.richmond.gov.uk/chimney_stac ... egulations

Should you decide to proceed with the Chimney and Flue removal, I would be happy to provide a list of the tasks involved
which would help with the work.
I do feel that this work can be executed by a "Useful" DIY'er but it does include the following:

1) Basic roof repair/reinstatement
2) Basic hand tool demolition
3) Basic 1st Fix Joinery
4) Render/plastering skills

Davyp1