DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:34 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Brave Browser
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:01 pm 

Just thought I'd give this a mention on here (I am in no way affiliated with it, I just think it's a good idea).

https://www.brave.com/

It's a web browser (available for all popular PC and mobile platforms) based on Chrome. However, it's got built in ad & tracker blocking, and built in HTTPS upgrades. Probably nothing too earth shattering there, you may think, as many of you probably already run ad blockers. However they have a twist:-

You can turn on micro-payments for sites you support, so you can for example, set a budget of $5US/month and list the sites you want to give a share of that to. You can also turn on "Brave Ads" for a given site, which are untracked, non-personalised, ads, the site owner will get a proportion of the ad revenue.

It's a great idea, and it seems to be gaining a lot of momentum (particularly with Google's recent PR screwups), as it potentially kills off the privacy-invading process of profiling/tracking users and delivering targetted content, while still allowing you to support the sites whose content you approve of, but it's obviously one of those things that will need to reach a critical mass before it can really work.

I now have it on my phone, android tablet, and PC and it works a treat.

Attachments:
bravepayments.jpg
bravepayments.jpg [ 43.58 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]

For this message the author chrrris has received gratitude : multiman
 Post subject: Re: Brave Browser
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:56 pm 

I'll deffo have a look at that. I never bother with ad blockers as I reckon most sites I use are dependent on income from ads ...

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

Post subject: Re: Brave Browser
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:06 pm 

wine~o wrote:
I'll deffo have a look at that. I never bother with ad blockers as I reckon most sites I use are dependent on income from ads ...

Yeah, I'm sort of with you on that... I don't really mind ads themselves, it's the profiling, tracking and user fingerprinting that the ad providers do that I find a bit "1984". I'm sure most of us on here have, say, searched for a particular tool on screwfix and then been bombarded with ads for that tool, or similar ones, on every website you go to for the next week. I find it a bit sinister, so I block all of that stuff. But I do feel slightly guilty about denying an important revenue stream to smaller, independent sites like this one.

This is an ideal solution for me. The other thing is, browsing is so much quicker with all the trackers switched off compared to normal Chrome, particularly on Android.

I think it's their long-term aim to change the shape of online advertising and funding, and make the whole process a bit fairer. Only time will tell whether it actually succeeds though...

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]