DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:27 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:30 am 

I have bought a new property and plan to change quite a bit! But I need to know the bits I hope to do are possible.

Firstly I am looking to relocate the W.C it's in a silly place and so small a sink can't fit in it! Wanting to move that to the hallway which means the hallway will probably need to be extended into the kitchen a bit (see floorplan). The hallway side of the house adjoins next door as it's a semi detached house.

There is a lot of beams in the house due to two single storey extensions. Is it possible to raise these in between the joists so the ceiling line is flat?

Lastly, looking at the floor plan do you think it's possible to remove the wall separating the kitchen extension from the toilet and the wall separating the dining room from the kitchen to make that all open plan?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:07 am 

My DIY thoughts:
1) Where will you run the services if loo moved to hall way and neighbours semi wall is adjacent.
2) Raise beams, well they support the upper floor joists, would need some sort of hanger arrangement and then a semi false ceiling using spacers to clear the hangers.
3) Kitchen dining wall might be load bearing for upper floor.
4) Kitchen existing loo wall likely not load bearing but without roofing plan to reference!
5) Need to identify which walls are solid and which are dry wall for the Building experts to comment on your ideas.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:54 pm 

kevinsmbuk wrote:
There is a lot of beams in the house due to two single storey extensions. Is it possible to raise these in between the joists so the ceiling line is flat?

Unlikely to be able to move them up without major works and even then. They are all designed to support whatever is above them, they are not decorative. To place them higher would mean you would be cutting into the floor or ceiling or whatever is above ... forget it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:42 pm 

1) Where will you run the services if loo moved to hall way and neighbours semi wall is adjacent. - Havent figured that one out yet! aware I need a decent fall etc... soil stack runs down the bathroom wall next to toilet upstairs.
2) Raise beams, well they support the upper floor joists, would need some sort of hanger arrangement and then a semi false ceiling using spacers to clear the hangers. - Was hoping to use I beam and run the joists into that depending on size.
3) Kitchen dining wall might be load bearing for upper floor. - 100% agree, supporting the upstairs bathroom.
4) Kitchen existing loo wall likely not load bearing but without roofing plan to reference! - Correct, this is a flat roof extension so wont be load bearing
5) Need to identify which walls are solid and which are dry wall for the Building experts to comment on your ideas.- Only solid supporting wall is between kitchen and dining room.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:43 pm 

OchAye wrote:
kevinsmbuk wrote:

Unlikely to be able to move them up without major works and even then. They are all designed to support whatever is above them, they are not decorative. To place them higher would mean you would be cutting into the floor or ceiling or whatever is above ... forget it.

Aware that they are RSJ's and are supporting building, just wondered if the joists can run within them in an I beam.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:01 pm 

The easiest thing to do is get the advice of a structural engineer as he will be able to calculate the stress and type of steel you will need, and in any case the BCO would want to see the calculations before they are signed off.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:30 pm 

I would not over focus on those beams as it will be expensive and majorly disruptive to everything. That dining room is over large and I would build a wall level with the existing wc external wall to enlarge the kitchen. The services are already there under the bathroom to make your proposed cloakroom position work. Who looks up anyway?

DWD