DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:53 pm

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:05 am 
Mr. Grumpy

Just on my post below, I also asked what’s the real difference between the Bosch Blue and Bosch green tools. Helpful chap. He said that they did a large survey one time and the average DIYer does about 6 hours per year of DIY. The green tools are designed with this purpose in mind however they are made to last a far far longer than this and not to break down so are deemed very reliable when viewed in the eyes of an average DIYer. I think that is a fair assumption

I told him that I think the green tools are getting a bit gimmicky and I prefer a more a meat and 2 veg approach to a power tool. He said they are very conscience of competitiveness in the DIY market especially with all these ALDI / import type products are available and the innovative need in a DIY market where sometimes, unfortunately gimmicks sells, and price is ultimate importance. I guess this is why they invented the Skill market, bargain basement stuff. I have a few and they are complete pants! :wink:

For trades, they recognise that a more sensible approach is required, i.e. it does the job well and is reliable.

I am not too sure what the actually technical differences are between the green and blue versions but he indicated that it has got to do with a more robust casing, metal/alloy parts rather than hardened plastic, replaceable poarts, stronger switches perhaps. I am tempted to open my drill up but I know I won't be able to get it back together again :lol:

Personally I think nowadays you can pick up a blue version for not much more than a green and hence, bang for buck, a heavy use DIYer would be prudent to choose one. A light use DIYer would see no difference I expect and in fact as the blue appears to have less features it might not be the appropriate choice. Do you guys agree?

You guys use the pro versions a lot more than me, what do see as the differences?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:01 pm 
Pro Carpenter

you can pick end off lines up cheap but they tend to be cheap because they wont fit the new kit or batteries
remember nicad batteries are being phased out for power tools and when they are gone they are gone they wont make any more
nmh [nickle metal hydrid] is in its self being replaced li-ions [lithium ions]

as each battery type requires different treatment during charging you can not just re-cell your old battery and expect the recelled battery to function fully to spec
a typical example is they quote re-celled with larger 3ah batteries if your charger is rated at 2amps then that is the maximum you will get out' the transformer may go into overload and supply 2.4 amps for a short time before it burns its self out :cb

now in practice most decent battery chargers will stop charging when the battery reaches its designed charge level or the charger reaches its safety margin [usualy 10 to 20% less than output]

you say gimmics sell thats correct
you ask of diy tools have more "features" for the money
in general no just more gimmicks :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:48 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

Howdy Big All

Yes, should have said that I was referring to a corded tool. Cordless bosch blue are far too dear for a DIYer even a NiCad one.

You are right about online "deals". I see them on screwfix and they are mostly, 1.3a Ni-Cad, give me a 3.0A Li-On anyday

Regarding Corded tools: For instance I have a pro version of a small SDS, (GBH 2-18 RE) and I got it for £79 on Lawsons. The DIY version (PBH 2000 RE) is £69 on Lawsons. They both have very similar spec (power, impact force etc) but the green admittedly has a roto stop and an on-board tool holder. Storing 2 or 2 drill bits on the actual tool is pointless in my view. The roto stop could be handy but on such a small drill I can see it being of very limited use

For £10 extra its well worth it I think! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:59 pm 
Pro Carpenter

actualy roto stop is handy you can use sds wood chisles for working chunky timber

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p82705

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:01 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

Looks great, I stand corrected! thanks Big-All

hmm perhaps the next model up would have been better, came with a roto stop feature, :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

I had a green Bosch drill for about ten years before it packed in. I now feel that the new Bosch green stuff is not as well built.

The Bosch blue stuff is excellent.

There are so many different makes of powertool now what it is really hard to have a favourite make.

For me the best make is the best one on special offer at the time.

Some powertools are very expensive and so when screwfix are selling the hitachi 18v for £70 ish or the Makita 18v for £80 or the site 18v drill for £50 you have to snap them up. In the past they have had Bosch Blue corded drills at a heavily discounted price as well.

I'll never buy anything made by Festool or Milwaukee as they are just too expensive.