DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:22 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Boiler Replacement Cost
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:16 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I've been quoted a price to replace our conventional boiler with a combi boiler which is around £2800. The boiler itself (Worcester Bosch) is around £1000 and I am scratching my head about what the other £1800 of the quote covers? I'm based in the West Midlands and it's a simple 3 bed semi detached house so I can't imagine the job is particularly complicated.

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate any suggestions as to what the cost over and above the boiler might be for.

Cheers,
Dave.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:28 pm 

dredd123 wrote:
Hi,

I've been quoted a price to replace our conventional boiler with a combi boiler which is around £2800. The boiler itself (Worcester Bosch) is around £1000 and I am scratching my head about what the other £1800 of the quote covers? I'm based in the West Midlands and it's a simple 3 bed semi detached house so I can't imagine the job is particularly complicated.

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate any suggestions as to what the cost over and above the boiler might be for.

Cheers,
Dave.

At a guess: disposal costs, power flush, contribution towards Gas Safe, certification cost gas and I suppose electrics, contribution towards training if hes a Worcester Bosch trained installer, cost to cover any call backs for any problems during warranty period. VAT on added value.

For this message the author Notch1 has received gratitude : dredd123
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:40 pm 

dredd123 wrote:

Cheers,
Dave.

Fitting/commissioning/ flushing/removal and changing the pipework, pressure testing, drilling a new hole for the flue... the list can go on.

Is this a local independent or one of the majors such as BG ??

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : dredd123
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:50 pm 

Boiler probably doesn't even cost that much, but why not ask the company who have quoted for a breakdown in costs, any thing else is just a guess. Could be worse though, it could be British Gas, they quoted me close to 5k

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : dredd123
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:51 pm 

Perhaps the installer would actually like to be paid for doing the work??

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

For this message the author Razor has received thanks - 4: Dickie, dredd123, gas4you, wine~o
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:19 pm 

dredd123 wrote:

It could be several things, but the best person to tell you is the one who wrote the quote.

I had a new boiler fitted a few years back, the first quote was also for a Worcester Bosch, this would have entailed a new 22mm gas supply (and a new HW cylinder). The quote was similar to yours.

I had a different boiler fitted by a different guy for a whole lot less, the new boiler was OK with the existing 15mm gas supply and the HW cylinder remains unchanged 10 years on.

I'm very satisfied with the guy who did mine, he's honest and reliable and he's cheap.

For this message the author ayjay has received thanks - 2: dredd123, someone-else
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:28 am 

Personally I wont break quotes down.

If I thought I could have done it cheaper I would have quoted so in the original quote. In fact I do not give quotes any more, always an estimate for legal reasons, but I have yet to give an estimate that I haven't been able to stick to.

Just get two other quotes to compare, three quotes is the usual for jobs like this.

Changing from a conventional boiler with HW cylinder to a combi is never going to be a quick and easy job such as a straight combi to combi job COULD be.

www.drlgas.co.uk

For this message the author gas4you has received gratitude : dredd123
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:02 pm 

Tbh I don't like it when people ask me to break down a price I've given them,it is what it is from me.
People often resent what you charge or then want to buy bits and bobs themselves and don't realise you've to travel in your own time to buy the materials and have a mark-up on them.
The only way I will tell people my exact labour cost is if I'm on a dayrate/hourly rate.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : dredd123
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:15 pm 

Certainly a lot of factors to be considered & the more decerning installers will give you the a better job.
Whooshitter Botch are expensive rubber boilers for starters.
I'd normally go for Intergas or Ideal Logic.
Or Vokera Easiheat or Ravenheat if on a tight budget.

But saving a few 100 quid is only a short term benefit, a good installer will look for the annual service work & give you something more than a 'tail light guarantee'.

Gas Safe RGI
Scottish, British & Proud.
I'm not or never claimed to be Chris Williams.

For this message the author Dickie has received gratitude : dredd123
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:01 pm 

Dickie wrote:
Whooshitter Botch are expensive rubber boilers for starters.

:lol: I really do think that is funny. (Obviously I have never heard that one before)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : dredd123
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:52 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to comment.

I don't really know fully what's involved in terms of work with this boiler swap so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't paying £1800 for two days work (£900 a day would be excessive in my view).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:28 pm 

dredd123 wrote:
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to comment.

I don't really know fully what's involved in terms of work with this boiler swap so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't paying £1800 for two days work (£900 a day would be excessive in my view).

Do you really think the guy fitting your boiler earns 900 quid a day...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:19 pm 
Newly registered Member

Sounds about right to me give or take a couple of hundred. You normally have to re run the gas supply in 28mm. Then you have filter, in line scale, shock arrester, plume diverter timer, filling loop or link, RF room thermostat, flushing, chemicals, commissioning, registering, estimating, planning suitable location, call backs to re explain controls, filling after they have taken a rad of to decorate. Converting exciting pipe work to sealed system, lifting carpet, floors an re laying. Some go well couple of days some four/five. WB are good in respect their back up is good ie they actually answer the phone almost straight away, spares are relatively cheap and normally come with washers O rings etc. If applicable, don’t try and get out of honouring guarantees without good reason.
There is a lot pf expensive being Gas safe registered a example being public liability insurance gas person £500 Electrician £160 (last time I compared couple of years ago)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For this message the author Henrythedog2 has received gratitude : Dickie
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:43 am 

Henrythedog2 wrote:
Sounds about right to me give or take a couple of hundred. You normally have to re run the gas supply in 28mm. Then you have filter, in line scale, shock arrester, plume diverter timer, filling loop or link, RF room thermostat, flushing, chemicals, commissioning, registering, estimating, planning suitable location, call backs to re explain controls, filling after they have taken a rad of to decorate. Converting exciting pipe work to sealed system, lifting carpet, floors an re laying. Some go well couple of days some four/five. WB are good in respect their back up is good ie they actually answer the phone almost straight away, spares are relatively cheap and normally come with washers O rings etc. If applicable, don’t try and get out of honouring guarantees without good reason.
There is a lot pf expensive being Gas safe registered a example being public liability insurance gas person £500 Electrician £160 (last time I compared couple of years ago)

You make a lot of good point Henry, but WB are sh.te!! Oh great cheap spares, but the f.cking thing shouldn't break down!! They're overpriced cr.p.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gas Safe RGI
Scottish, British & Proud.
I'm not or never claimed to be Chris Williams.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:55 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks again for your responses - new boiler being fitted end of this week :-)