DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:59 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:16 pm 

My current boiler is a 15 year old Ideal Classic FF360 and I’ve just received the Homecare Three agreement renewal letter stating that the new annual rate will go up to £638.85 - a rise of £120. Over the past 3 years, I believe that we have paid out around £1500 for this maintenance and at the new rate and the increases in them, we will be paying out more than £2000 over the next 3 years. I really would welcome advice on the alternatives.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 pm 

<£2k will get you a new boiler fitted by a local installer - double or triple that for gritsh bas to do it, a new boiler will make a big difference to your gas bills too as there more efficient

A annual service is £80-130 depending, £640 is extracting the urine if it was me, setup a bank account and put the money in that instead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:44 pm 

I'm not a heating engineer, but think you'd be absolutely bonkers to pay £638.85 year for a protection plan. I haven't seen one of these boiler protection plans that looks remotely better than putting the same amount of money away each year in lieu of getting your boiler serviced or repaired. They just don't seem to stack up financially.

Also, I've heard enough anecdotal evidence from people who've had to wait a week or more for a boiler repair after the initial visit (presumably, the initial visit within 24hrs or whatever is to fulfil some sort of contractual obligation), waiting for "parts", etc. to put me right off them. Obviously, sometimes parts for older boilers will be difficult or impossible to get, but the number of people who have to wait for 2nd or 3rd visits from these places makes me suspicious that they have a bunch of 1st tier engineers who will rectify simple problems or do simple repairs, and much fewer 2nd tier engineers to do more substantial work or boiler replacements.

Better off trying to get a recommendation for a decent local independent engineer, paying him to service your boiler every year, and when it does need replacing he'll 1)already be familiar with your setup and with you, and 2)probably charge much less than some big corporate machine with expensive telly ads and 3 layers of middle-management to pay for.

For this message the author chrrris has received gratitude : carder1
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:54 am 

Stop paying that extortion at once.

The most common thing to go on fan flued classic is the fan, often around every 5-7 years and would cost approximately £300.

An annual service would cost around £80 so you would be better putting that money in a jar each month and have it there in case something goes wrong.

www.drlgas.co.uk

For this message the author gas4you has received gratitude : chrrris
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:06 pm 

Bob225 wrote:
<£2k will get you a new boiler fitted by a local installer.......... setup a bank account and put the money in that instead

Have set up low cost cover and when time comes will get estimates for new boiler from local plumbers. Initial saving £44.00 per month.