DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:34 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Black Friday.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:34 am 

Hi,

With the world now seemingly fueled by greed and selfishness next Friday will really show people for what they are as they fight and fall out once again to grab a bargain which possibly they don't even need?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/black-friday/12009461/Black-Friday-2015-the-best-bargains-and-deals-when-and-where.html

Why do stores kick up such a frenzy bringing the worst out in people? :scratch: Bron and I will give it a miss again. I've yet to see tool stores give genuine dramatically reduced prices but perhaps I'll be proved wrong? I would be interested in a brand new Colchester lathe at £500 though. :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : Dave54
 Post subject: Re: Black Friday.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:36 am 

A bargain is only a bargain if you need it. It's laughable watching hundreds of folk queuing up for a cheap and nasty tv in asda that they don't need.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:09 pm 

Oh, I don't know. Yes most place will bring in some tat and sell it cheap, but one place I buy on line from most of the stuff was about 1/3 of what it is usually listed as.
So this year I have made a note of how much stuff is right now, and I am going to compare it with Friday.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:50 pm 

someone-else wrote:
Oh, I don't know. Yes most place will bring in some tat and sell it cheap, but one place I buy on line from most of the stuff was about 1/3 of what it is usually listed as.
So this year I have made a note of how much stuff is right now, and I am going to compare it with Friday.

What place is 1/3 of what the usual list price? Share the wealth!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:38 pm 

The definition of a sale is an item that is lower priced than it was x number of weeks previously - it doesn't mean it can't be cheaper at some later date - and it may well be!

I don't fall for these 'sales' because I could probably source the same item somewhere else at a lower price anyway - if I want it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:53 pm 

Even when they do have some good things in a 'sale' they tend to limit stocks so that only a set number of items are available at that bargain price.
And I'll guarantee that when it's sold out they will turn round and say something like " but you may like this as a alternative " , yeah, right ! Thanks but no thanks.

It's just a game and if you get a good deal that's great but if not there will be another sale on when that one has finished.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:18 pm 

My bloody inbox looks as if there's nothing else in the world but "Black Friday"
I've got half a mind to set a rule to bin anything that has the words in it!
I never buy anything in these type of things anyway.
Two weeks down the line the stuff will be nearly as cheap again, if not cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:23 am 

Hi,

These black Friday sales and other so called sales are just to lead us into impulse buying; I've just received prior notice of Screwfix's black Friday offers and our Monte is ticking over at a million rpm; I can't wait to dash out jump in the Monte and visit Screwfix (NOT). ::b ::b ::b

Bron and I never bother looking at sale items even in the January sales; mostly its rubbish left over from ends of lines that no one wanted in the first place; at least some stores like M&S state goods have been brought in specially for the sale. Fools and their money springs to mind?

The only genuine sale is to shop around; I saved around £120 a few months ago just buying a big Makita router online compared to buying the identical model from our local Wickes or Screwfix.

As Lm61 rightly says; it's all a con just to get us into the stores so that we can make a snap decision prompting the sale of something at normal price because the odd sale item has probably gone to a store employee? I detest being asked in stores if I have the store loyalty card; no I don't and I don't want one either. I've mentioned it a number of times but it's getting sillier each time I visit Morrison's given all the stupid gimmicks; at Aldi and Home Bargains I'm through the checkout quickly simply handing cash over. Special offers and gimmicks actually put me off visiting such stores rather than the stores attract me.

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:25 am 

If you read some of the articles online you find that prices are not only rarely a bargain but often they are actually inflated for Black Friday as people will just assume it's cheap. I don't partake in any of it, if I want something I go out and buy it and always shop around for the best price. The only exception to this will be when I am making an order from someone like axminster, I'll always have a quick gander at the clearance section, found some really good one off bargains then.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:36 pm 

In protest I am not going to buy a thing on Friday, doesn't matter if I need it or not :B

Edit, that's not strictly true, I am likely to buy a few pints in the evening!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:52 pm 

I've even just had a "Black Friday" email off the people we rented a holiday apartment through last year!

I'd just set the lot to be spam, but I actually buy stuff off some of these tosseurs. Why do they think that having my email address, so that they can tell be about an order, gives them the right to spam me with "deals" I don't want. :cussing: :cussing:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:01 pm 

Dave54 wrote:
I've even just had a "Black Friday" email off the people we rented a holiday apartment through last year!

I'd just set the lot to be spam, but I actually buy stuff off some of these tosseurs. Why do they think that having my email address, so that they can tell be about an order, gives them the right to spam me with "deals" I don't want. :cussing: :cussing:

You'll probably have agreed to receive e-mails from them in the small print.......... :sad:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:20 pm 

wine~o wrote:
Dave54 wrote:

You'll probably have agreed to receive e-mails from them in the small print.......... :sad:

Dunno what happened there! It ate my new bit of the post.

Yes I know, some of them have the option to not receive marketing, and just get receipts and so on. Some don't.
Most of them that have sent me this "Black Friday" stuff have been marked as spam now! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:58 pm 

Hi,

It's been incredibly difficult controlling my urge today to buy bargains but I think I'm winning? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Next we will be pestered by Christmas bargains then New year Bargains; there isn't any let up the year round? ::b

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:05 pm 

Manic Monday on errrmmmm Monday Col.

I'm taking advantage of the black friday deals to replace our landline telephones. they've been playing up for ages and have needed replacing for a while.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/