DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:38 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:10 pm 
Newly registered Member

I have one of these coupling nuts, which is used to join two brake pipes together:

What I want to do is also put a thread on the outside (any size thread it okay). The problem is I don't have a lathe or anything. I thought I could possibly grind the Hex flats down (these fit a 13mm spanner) so it is round and then thread with a hand die. The problem is, I think using an angle grinder it may be very difficult to achieve a round shape good enough for threading with a die. I was also wondering if the material the nut is made out of is likely to be extremely hard and almost impossible to thread by hand?

What is the best way of doing this at home without a lathe?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:20 pm 

Might be easier to start with a threaded rod and drill/tap the inside to whatever you're currently using.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:23 pm 

Get the correct adapter ? tbh I would only do it on a lathe then it would be boarder line if you had enough material to put a thread on the outside (depending on wall thickness) so imo I would make it from a new piece of material

what is this for exactly ? and what sizes do you need

edit. 13mm spanner it will be a M8 nut/thread But as you say it a brake fitting the are usually imperial with a unf threads unless its a motorcycle or a cable adjuster

If its for a fluid brake line get the correct fittings !!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:34 pm 

Hi,

Good luck.

Would something like this be of use;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pcs-12mm-Male-8mm-Female-Thread-15mm-Length-Tapping-Threaded-Insert/301708669117?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D2c621a6264b9496f82f17863c63660de%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D301741341933

What's the internal thread?

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:56 pm 
Newly registered Member

flash22 wrote:
imo I would make it from a new piece of material

what is this for exactly ? and what sizes do you need

I don't think it's that simple to make a new piece. Brake pipe couplings are different to normal coupling nuts that join threaded bar. As you can see in this picture, there is a small hole channel in the centre:

As for material thickness, I can't see that being an issue. Just think how thin and soft brake pipes are - particularity the copper ones.

As for purpose, the joining nuts go through a supporting bracket with a hole in it. I want a thread on the outside of the joining nut, so I can bolt is securely against the bracket. I could buy the proper thing for the car, but it would take a long time to arrive (special order) and I am too tight! Also I don't want to mess with any of the standard fixing on the car by making new brackets or drilling into the chassis and fitting p clips.

I would have thought it should be fairly simple just to be a thread on the outside of the joining nut?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:53 pm 

It will be a unf thread, do not mess with brakes !! if you reduce that nut and thread it is likely to fracture it as it will be weakened, due to the hydraulic pressure what can be 500-1000 psi

where a you located ? most fittings are off the self or can be got with in 24 hours

brakes are not somewhere you cut corners or bodge it, at the end of the day you could kill someone or anybody in the vehicle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:30 pm 

Adam32 wrote:
I want a thread on the outside of the joining nut, so I can bolt is securely against the bracket.

Why?

Is that how it was in its original form? If not, why change something that a manufacturer spent good money on designing properly and fit for the purpose?

If you really want to secure the pipe then use p-clips (insulated).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:35 pm 
Newly registered Member

flash22 wrote:
do not mess with brakes !! if you reduce that nut and thread it is likely to fracture it as it will be weakened

I really don't think it will make much difference. Again look how thin brake pipes are. The wall thickness of the nut is way thicker than brake pipe walls. Plus there is a considerable safety margin built into these things.

I'm going to have a go at grinding it as round as possible and see if I can put a thread on it with a hand die. It will be a bit of an experiment. Unless anybody can suggest a better way without access to a lathe?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:55 pm 

As already said by others.
Don't do it.
Use the right part.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:24 pm 

copper hasn't been used in brake lines for years these fittings are just a bronze/brass/alloy mix cast your reducing the strength of the part a lot, by grinding it your changing the make up of the metal due to heat and also contaminating the material, as for wall thickness standard line is 3/16 the fitting will be 3/8 what is equivalent 9.52mm, outside nut A/F is 1/2 or 12.7mm by the time you reduce it to a round your down to 12mm or less that gives you a wall thickness of 1.75mm less the depth of the thread (M12 is the nearest die course is 1.75mm (10.8mm) or fine is 1.25 (10.2mm) so best ways with a fine M12 thread of min dia of 10.2mm

10.2mm - 9.52mm = 0.50 mm divide that by 2 = 0.25 wall thickness between the pit of the inner and outer threads assuming your Chinese die is to spec and you get it the thread dead straight and your grinding work is that of a tool maker

Hydraulic pressure will find the path of least resistance and it will find any weakness

Are you just trolling the forum, as your purposely avoiding direct questions

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:42 pm 
Newly registered Member

flash22 wrote:
copper hasn't been used in brake lines for years

Why do you say that. This is what I use throughout the vehicle and it is copper:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/7-5MTR-COPPER- ... B004O1KXOE

Seems a strange thing what you said about trolling. With all respect I posed a question about how to do something, not whether I should do it. I really did not want a safety lecture. But thanks for your help anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:03 pm 

You will find it hard to cut the threads with a die, those nuts are tough and usually work-hardened in the manufacturing process.

I also would not want to be making my own brake fittings, the most important part of a car needs to be treated with respect.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

Rorschach wrote:
You will find it hard to cut the threads with a die, those nuts are tough and usually work-hardened in the manufacturing process.

That's what I thought, but I will give it a go.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:53 pm 

Not withstanding the comments of other members, in your attempt to put a thread on the outside for the purpose of holding it in a bracket, you do not need to grind it round. Assuming that the material is soft enough to cut a thread, that only needs to be on the hex apexes and not across the flats.

Pray tell, what vehicle is this for? Some of us have motor trade experience.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:25 am 
Newly registered Member

On second thoughts I have seen online some brass connectors, which should be much easier to thread with the softer material