DIY Forum

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:22 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Trade To Learn?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi, I would like to learn a trade in construction as I'm currently working my ass off in a warehouse and feel as though I'm stuck in one place with no advancing in life.

I'm quite skinny, 5ft11 and 127lbs, constant heavy lifting is a no-no. I have a diploma in Java programming and cert in Maths, both of which suck and I want nothing to do with them. Physical practice is appealing to me, whether that means playing an instrument or sport, good muscle memory - but crap with theoretical subjects, and have a low tolerance to arrogant assholes (the type of people who would usually work in an office), or men who only talk about breasts and football all their life.

Basically want a career which I enjoy, and which leaves me with some time to do other stuff in life with (in other words, decent pay with no need to work over-time).

So far I have:
1. Plastering - tried it, it's fun, good pay I think, not sure on how much in demand they are I never see any?
2. Plumbing - fun but a bitch when you get called back for a leakage, seems like there are lots of them.
3. Electrician - lots to learn, seems a bit harder than the others?
4. Carpentry or alarm fitting.

Where's good to start? Future proof? Possible self-employment? Thanks.

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject: Re: Best Trade To Learn?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:32 am 

Electrician should be simple for you if you can get your head round java. It has one main advantage over many trades. You need to be qualified to trade as one. Gas fitter is also good in this respect.

Also it is not too heavy like plastering and if you get bored because it is too easy, then there are more complex jobs in that industry and test and inspection is a bit more of a challenge.

you can also enter the green installations market once qualified which is set to grow and would challenge you further.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:12 am 
Pro Carpenter

no good choosing what you think you can do you need to choose what you can do or best adapt your skills to fit in with
suggest a visit to your local collage and ask the questions
your perceptions off whats involved may be greatly different to whats actualy involved

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:26 am 

I don't think any of the Building Trades are worth getting into for at least the next couple of years.

little work and too many init already.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:35 pm 

Have you thought about the forces? you could learn a trade in there AND get paid for it..

ATB,J.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:04 am 
Newly registered Member

Best to choose what you enjoy doing most, or gives you the most satisfaction regardless of pay IMO.

Otherwise after a while you will get that trapped feeling again...........

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:18 pm 

^^as Steve said .

Ive thought (and thought ..) about this a lot, it really does come down to what right for you. how you find that may just mean loads of triall and error.

its rare you see anyone, be they a tradesman or an accountant or the boss getting a big kick out of their job every day of the year. you do meet them though, and often its the person not the career that they have chosen.

if you have children, and all that will come with that, then the ££ becomes priority. if you are free and easy then you have a great oppurtunity to try different things.

I reckon to be 'happy' in your job you need a mix of reward, control and freedom to create.

on a building site the happiest chappies can be the fellas stacking bricks all day, and the dourest can be the well paid sparkies. Craft workers come close to getting the mix right I think, good money, free to do it the way they see right, respected, and satisfaction from a well done job. Happiest lad I ever met on site was a lead worker, worked away on his own at the top of the building hammering and shaping the lead roofs all day.

just my 2c worth...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:30 pm 

1. Plastering - tried it, it's fun, good pay I think, not sure on how much in demand they are I never see any?

Good plasterers will always find work - you'll only tend to see them if you are having some plastering done :roll: :wink:

2. Plumbing - fun but a bitch when you get called back for a leakage, seems like there are lots of them.

If you are good at what you do, you will have very, very few leaks.

3. Electrician - lots to learn, seems a bit harder than the others?

Your background in Java / Mathematics could stand you in good stead for this one - never could get my head around volts / ohms / amps / watts etc at college :lol:

4. Carpentry or alarm fitting.

Odd two to lump together there. Personally wouldn't restrict myself to just alarm fitting.

The key to success with any trade is to be good at what you do, know your limitations yet remain adaptable and versatile. Also work on your marketing - tradespeople are among some of the all time worst businesses out there for advertising / marketing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:44 pm 

I would say go down the sparks route because from there you can then go into alarms or even access control.As you have IT experience then the progression to the newer access control systems would be an easy one as most are pc based or even gsm controlled now.

As beachcomber said marketing is the skills to have,no point being the best if no one has ever heard of you.Word of mouth takes years to aquire so in the mean time you have to be good at telling the world where you are and what you can do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:55 pm 

If you want to make decent money and have a future proof job then set yourself up as a drain technician. Serious money although there are a few drawbacks :lol:

Even better the training consists of three words:

Poop runs downhill :wink:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html