DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 8:39 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Bench drill comparisons
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:53 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all, first post, pleased to make your acquaintance.

I'm currently eying up bench drills and have just finished reading the internet in an effort to sort out which machine is most appropriate.

I know the advice is a second hand fobco or meddings off of ebay for the same sort of money as something new and not as good, but weight and space are my main constraints. I need something I can lift and under 900mm.

So, after looking at and comparing just about every model on the planet it boils down to a choice of four - three identical and the fourth as near as damn it. One thing I can't work out though is the wildly different prices. Can anyone shed any light as to the differences, or for that matter offer an opinion on any of the following models. Thanks.

The contenders are...

Axminster AHDP16B £280
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-ahdp16b-bench-pillar-drill-101926

Sealey GDM92B £257
http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?id=20&method=mViewProduct&productid=6780

Clarke CDP10B £239
https://www.clarkeinternational.com/shop/product/details/cdp10b-drill-press

Fox F12-941A £169
http://www.fox-machines.com/en/fox-machines-hobby-wood-bricolage.aspx?l=51&f=27&p=193

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:47 pm 
Old School Chippie

:welcomeuhm:

I know what you are saying about the older cast iron machines, and you can get hold of older bench drills as well as the floor-standing pedestal sort, but TBH they can also come with a whole heap of problems to be sorted out before you can even start to use them. Of the models you've listed I can't see much in it between them, TBH. I will say that in my own experience the fit and finish of Axminster stuff is generally a tad better than other Far Eastern imports and that they are better at standing by their kit (in terms of warranty, technical backup, spares, etc) than Machine Mart, but as to the drills, I'm afraid I haven't used any of them. Sorry

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:19 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for your reply.

I had heard that Axminster were good for customer service and after sales help/spares. The question is, does that level of service warrant the £40 difference on an identical machine or even a £110 difference on a near as damn it identical machine.

Are there any parts that could be spec'd differently to account for some of the difference? Chuck perhaps is the only thing I can think that might be different.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:08 pm 

They look much of a muchness TBH.
I was looking at the big floor standing Clarke in a local place recently. I thought it looked a decent bit of kit.
Not much help I know.
I'd have a look at the actual machines if possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:32 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yeah, been trying to see them in the flesh, but that's another problem - Axminster is miles away and there don't seem to be models in shops to have a play with, Clarke being the exception to that. I'll have to find a machine mart with the Clarke in and go give it a coat of looking over.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:11 am 

Did you make a decision in the end ? I'm looking for a bench drill too

Cheers

Paul

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

Well yes I did and I was going to give it a good try out before adding to this thread for the benefit of others. If you're looking though, I'll give you the story so far!

I couldn't view any as they were either too far away or not in store and my only other experience of pillar drills is a massive old fobco at school 30 years ago, so I'm not talking from any position of authority, just my opinion on the one model I now own.

In the end I went for the Axminster. I rejected the Fox as the website was appalling and I couldn't work out how to get spares if I needed. It's very cheap price also concerned me. The Clarke was a contender, but customer support around it (Machinemart) is reputedly hit and miss and it only has a 1 year guarantee. The same was for the Sealey (1yr guarantee) and I couldn't view one before hand.

The reputation of Axminster is apparently good, they supply spares, have actual shops with actual real life people in them and also offer a 3 year guarantee. Some feel that Axminster tools are slightly better, but I'm unable got judge that having not seen others. The only difference that I am aware of between the models is the shape of the table and type of chuck.

Ordering and delivery were fine - <24hrs. Not timed delivery unfortunately, but other options were available.

One smallish box contains everything and it's not too heavy or cumbersome (easy one man lift).

Instructions are excellent - clear and concise with lots of large full colour photos. No previous experience or expertise required.

Setup is straightforward, easy for one person and takes a matter of only a few minutes. Everything was included (only a spanner required for the bolts isn't). Belt tension needed setting, but then off you go!

Have to say so far so good with regards to performance. Changing speed is easy, rack and pinion table is adequate but can jump a tooth under load and seems to drill quietly and accurately. No issues re slop or wobble for my use, though an engineer would probably find fault. It doesn't claim to be ultra precise and I doubt it would stand up to trade use, but it doesn't claim to be able to do that either.

Overall its good as far as I am concerned. I've no complaints and it will do me fine (and no doubt outlive me!). Seems more than accurate and powerful enough for non-engineer/non-trade use, I'd recommend it.

For this message the author Dr Bob has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 pm 

Dr Bob wrote:
Hi,

Well yes I did and I was going to give it a good try out before adding to this thread for the benefit of others. If you're looking though, I'll give you the story so far!

I couldn't view any as they were either too far away or not in store and my only other experience of pillar drills is a massive old fobco at school 30 years ago, so I'm not talking from any position of authority, just my opinion on the one model I now own.

In the end I went for the Axminster. I rejected the Fox as the website was appalling and I couldn't work out how to get spares if I needed. It's very cheap price also concerned me. The Clarke was a contender, but customer support around it (Machinemart) is reputedly hit and miss and it only has a 1 year guarantee. The same was for the Sealey (1yr guarantee) and I couldn't view one before hand.

The reputation of Axminster is apparently good, they supply spares, have actual shops with actual real life people in them and also offer a 3 year guarantee. Some feel that Axminster tools are slightly better, but I'm unable got judge that having not seen others. The only difference that I am aware of between the models is the shape of the table and type of chuck.

Ordering and delivery were fine - <24hrs. Not timed delivery unfortunately, but other options were available.

One smallish box contains everything and it's not too heavy or cumbersome (easy one man lift).

Instructions are excellent - clear and concise with lots of large full colour photos. No previous experience or expertise required.

Setup is straightforward, easy for one person and takes a matter of only a few minutes. Everything was included (only a spanner required for the bolts isn't). Belt tension needed setting, but then off you go!

Have to say so far so good with regards to performance. Changing speed is easy, rack and pinion table is adequate but can jump a tooth under load and seems to drill quietly and accurately. No issues re slop or wobble for my use, though an engineer would probably find fault. It doesn't claim to be ultra precise and I doubt it would stand up to trade use, but it doesn't claim to be able to do that either.

Overall its good as far as I am concerned. I've no complaints and it will do me fine (and no doubt outlive me!). Seems more than accurate and powerful enough for non-engineer/non-trade use, I'd recommend it.
Thanks Bob for all the info, I've got an Axminster about an hour away so looks like I need to head there for a view

Paul

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk