DIY Forum

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:16 am
Drainage online 


Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:20 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:10 am
Posts: 3
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Mixer is 18 months old. Switch has already been replaced under warranty 10 months ago. Problem was it would not stay in.
Have same problem again. Mixer will only work if you get wife to hold switch in with her thumb. Only thing that overheats is the wife. Motor is fine
Bought new switches from Ebay. All correct manufacturing names model numbers ect. All wired up correctly but same problem.
Any ideas as wife is now thoroughly miffed as her thumb is killing her.


Top
 Profile  
 

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:58 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:06 pm
Posts: 22679
Location: Darwen, Lancashire
Has thanked: 387 times
Been thanked: 619 times
Is there a contactor between the switch and the motor?

I have never looked at the wiring on a cement mixer, but would assume that there is a contactor and when the on switch is pressed it pulls in the contactor.

_________________
DIY | Diy Videos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:51 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:11 pm
Posts: 2258
Location: Staffordshire
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 149 times
UHM is right there should be an overload/contactor to operate the start stop of the motor and also to sense the current the mixer is drawing, if it is too much such as when the drum has stalled or is overloaded then it will trip out to stop the motor from running, and overheating . What exact model is it and i will see if i can find the relevant drawing on the belle site.

Nick

_________________
If it isnt broke dont bloody touch it until it bloody well is and if it is broke then make drawing of the connections before you remove the broken one and replace with a new one LoL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:46 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:10 am
Posts: 3
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Thanks for your replys.
The mixer is a model 150, 2007 manufacture and has had moderate use but is looked after. Like previosly reported it has already had a new switch under warrety because of the same problems. Hence the reason for me thinking that a new switch was the way to go.
I think what you are on about with the contactor is that it is built into the switch assembly. The way it is moulded it looks like there is a coil/solenoid in there so that once you operate the switch it energises and holds the switch in the on position.
This obviously is not happening as my wifes thumb will prove. Joking apart the mixer is under no loading when trying to start. The gearbox and drive are free.
The wiring is exactly the same as I photographed it as well as drawing how it was originaly. I have changed the switches around only to experience the same problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:18 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:06 pm
Posts: 22679
Location: Darwen, Lancashire
Has thanked: 387 times
Been thanked: 619 times
I have just searched ebay and for the belle 150 it comes up with a switch-

dead link removed


and also an internal switch-

dead link removed

The internal switch looks more like a contactor and so it is probably this unit that is faulty, rather than the on/off switch.

But I just checked the parts manual and it looks like the 2007 model just has one switch, so it could be a combined unit.

I'd get a sparky to convert it to use a different type of contactor which is readily available as the belle stuff obviously seems to have quality issues.

We have contactors in the place I work that are 20 years old and have been switched on and off millions of times and they are still ok.

_________________
DIY | Diy Videos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:28 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:06 pm
Posts: 22679
Location: Darwen, Lancashire
Has thanked: 387 times
Been thanked: 619 times
It seems that there are a few people not happy with Belle quality anymore-

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum ... 21512.html

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum ... t2542.html

_________________
DIY | Diy Videos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:20 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:10 am
Posts: 3
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Once again thanks for your help.
I am sure that the contactor is inbuilt into my switch.
Don't know what to say really as this seems to be a known problem that Belle should address.
It is a good mixer but it seems that quite a number of people have experienced the exact same problem. Maybe there is a market out there for someone to sort this persistant problem by designing their own switch as a retro fit part?.
I am off to try yet another new switch and if that fails it is back to the wifes thumb!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 



Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 



phpBB SEO