DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:28 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:04 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all
Buying an old 1900 cottage with 2 bedrooms in the roof space. I suspect the insulation won't be great in the roof and I don't fancy ripping all the ceilings/walls down to insulate (not yet anyway) Is their an effective floor insulation I can put down on top of the bedroom floor boards then carpet over. And how effective are the insulating lining papers for the walls/roof walls

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:13 am 
Troll Headbutter

rob39 wrote:
Hi all
Buying an old 1900 cottage with 2 bedrooms in the roof space. I suspect the insulation won't be great in the roof and I don't fancy ripping all the ceilings/walls down to insulate (not yet anyway) Is their an effective floor insulation I can put down on top of the bedroom floor boards then carpet over. And how effective are the insulating lining papers for the walls/roof walls

We tried one of those insulating wallpapers years back and it was terrible. It was terrible to install, didn't do anything of noticeable difference (heat wise) and dinged each and everytime it was touched. Looked like a golf ball before it was finally ripped down and replaced with insulated plasterboard and done properly.

BG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:05 am 

Concentrate on the main building room insulation. The heat from downstairs will rise to the bedrooms and be lost through the ROOF and is a bigger concern. If the roof is properly insulated the bedroom will be warmer.

As far as keeping the floor 'warm' is concerned, check there are no gaps in floorboards and then fit a decent carpet and underlay.