DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:36 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:11 am 
Pro Carpenter

thats why i love having 3 recording machines
because i never watch commercial channels live i can whip through programs missing the intro and adverts
i only record stuff i want to or may want to watch like repeats
i dont suffer from any tv content as i never record anything i dont like
i only watch about 6 programs live on a daily basis one show' daily politics ;news night 'question time ' and a few on sunday
i only watch them live when the content can be topical and can go old hat very quickly

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:33 pm 

I quite enjoy the coverage of major sporting events; even if it is part of the daily news....BBC or not.

We (team GB ) seem to be doing quite well this year..

Brittain even won a Silver in the Men's coxless pair rowing thingy-me-bob this afternoon...

Sadly it was rower Lawrence Brittain who is in the South African team...

Team GB came in fourth....

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:25 pm 

wine~o wrote:
I quite enjoy the coverage of major sporting events; even if it is part of the daily news....BBC or not.

We (team GB ) seem to be doing quite well this year..

Team GB just set a new record in the cycling team sprint preliminary round - not bettered by the Olympic champions in their run.

Don't miss the rugby sevens final tonight at 11:00pm - GB v Fiji - those Fiji guys are monsters -they played their semi-final more or less one-handed against Japan - I can easily see us losing - or at least only coming second. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:00 pm 

kellys_eye wrote:
Grendel wrote:
[

By the way I'm impressed sky has convinced you that they're impartial and unbiased :roll:

Where, in any part of my post, did I claim Sky were 'impartial and unbiased'?

They are as bad as the BBC in their propaganda - however people can CHOSE not to pay the Sky subscription and they won't be chased for it either.

I apologise then as I seem to have misinterpreted your post , I thought that was what you were implying.

For this message the author Grendel has received gratitude : kellys_eye
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:51 pm 

im bloody sick of sport (football) still loving all the other sport though. watching the tennis currently.

the damn bloody newcastle players being helmets earlier and getting beat off huddersfield. i bet even col was celebrating that result :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:33 pm 
Pro Carpenter

ok done some calculations
assuming a normal day is from 0600 to midnight thats 18 possible hours off veiwing
approximate olympic coverage
now 3.15 mins a day are "olympic breakfast" on bbc1 but have included in the total as i am never up before 9.30 lol
total for saturday to friday
bbc1 possible 126 hours coverage 84.45m or 63%
bbc2 possible 126 hours coverage 39.25m or 31%
bbc4 possible 77 hours coverage 77 hrs or 100%
so total average 65% off program time to one subject
i personally think one channel dedicated should be the maximum allowed preferably the red button :huray:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:59 pm 

just watched mo farah win gold in the 10000 metres. absolutely mint how he sprints at the end of that.

when the great north run is on i go to the end of my drive way and watch him run past. he goes so quick and i should imagine where we are is about the 9 miles mark of that race. we watch that on bbc too and like hes at the round about at the top of the john reid road.... quick to the end of the drive. cheer him past and then back to watch him run up prince edward road. down marsden bank and along the coast. that along the coast stretch is up hil and then it levels off and he sprints to win it... :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:02 pm 

big-all wrote:
assuming a normal day is from 0600 to midnight thats 18 possible hours off veiwing
now 3.15 mins a day are "olympic breakfast" on bbc1 but have included in the total as i am never up before 9.30 lol
i personally think one channel dedicated should be the maximum allowed preferably the red button :huray:

Seeing as how you have your thinking head on and seem to like the maths maybe you could calculate the total percentage of sport on all bbc channels over a twelve month period then we could have figures to back up the moaning?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:56 pm 
Pro Carpenter

Grendel wrote:
big-all wrote:

Seeing as how you have your thinking head on and seem to like the maths maybe you could calculate the total percentage of sport on all bbc channels over a twelve month period then we could have figures to back up the moaning?

i enjoy dealing with statistics buuuuttt :lol: :lol:
i was sitting there thinking i only watch daily/sunday politics' newsnight' one show on a daily basis with peston on sunday andrew marr question time live none off which are on during the sport apart from newsnight that is around 50% about olympics so maybe for 2 weeks i wont pay my tv licence :dunno:
anyway as i dont normally watch tv live i just scan for the programs i want to record thats why i noticed there was non apart from newsnight highlighted to watch live thats why i checked the channels for last week to work out the olympic content

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:08 pm 

Well if you're ever bored and fancy doing some stats then , :cheers: . Perhaps if you do you could include how much time is taken up with soap operas and junk like big brother.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:45 pm 
Pro Carpenter

i can be quite anal if it interests me :lol:
i share loads off information that virtually no one cares about but suspect the odd few people doing a web search will gain from the information but wont have the time or inclination to register and thank me
now thats not a problem as its my choice but if one person gains from my comments thats great its worth the effort :huray:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:27 am 

Grendel wrote:
Well if you're ever bored and fancy doing some stats then , :cheers: . Perhaps if you do you could include how much time is taken up with soap operas and junk like big brother.

That's too easy....

Total number of hours in a year (8760) minus the sport coverage equals the 'rest of the cr@p' i.e. soaps/reality tv.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:32 am 

kellys_eye wrote:
Grendel wrote:

That's too easy....

Total number of hours in a year (8760) minus the sport coverage equals the 'rest of the cr@p' i.e. soaps/reality tv.

You missed out the re-runs of forty year old comedy/light entertainment - Dad's Army, The Good Old days,(that was outdated when it was new!), and several more, they were often funny/good the first time round but only a very few stand the test of time imo - Porridge and Open All Hours are a couple, but they're not re-run on the BBC.

Only seven more days left of the Olympics, and then a four year wait for more of the same.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:31 pm 

Yes there's some decent old stuff , I'm watching the Brittas Empire now but a good and new comedy is hard to find and wouldn't make a tenth of one percent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:46 pm 

Grendel wrote:
Yes there's some decent old stuff , I'm watching the Brittas Empire now but a good and new comedy is hard to find and wouldn't make a tenth of one percent.

Brittas Empire was filmed local to me..

A good friend of mine was the stills photographer on that series (For continuity)

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]