DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:20 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:08 am 
Jack Of All Trades

Time you went to bed fin!.. :lol:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Gadget has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:18 am 
Pro Carpenter

as an aside they announced last week the bbc license fee was going to be extended to the web on i player
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/121 ... gdale.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:34 am 

Hi,

Thanks Grendel; I too wouldn't be bothered about sport on TV if it was balanced but it seems every time I switch the TV on sport of some kind is staring at me and it's this which I strongly object to; wall to wall sport on our TV just winds me up. :pukeleft: I never saw the Tudor/victorian/wartime/farm series and also I never saw the James May series either. I did watch a couple of the Guy Martin series but thought he was a very poor Fred Dibnah clone? Bron and I used to enjoy watching The New Yankee workshop and painting programmes like Watercolour Challenge. More recently we enjoyed The Great Pottery Throwdown and we've even visited the pottery;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06nwm7b

By heck fin; you were slow off the mark; I expected you to pounce on this thread by the time I hit the submit button; I hope you aren't sickening for something? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very true fin; I couldn't be a visitor of yours if you have sport on the TV full time; please enjoy my share of sport with my compliments however if you are in our neck of the woods anytime you can sample a sport free home just to see how the other half live? Sorry no lager but a brew and biscuit supplied. :cheers:

One thing worth mentioning is the alternative to sport this being; IS; suicide bombers; murders; killings; disasters; muggings; politics etc so I suppose sport is equally poor viewing?

Thanks for the link b-a; making those with i Players pay will scratch the £150 million budget shortfall? A better solution would be to dump many of the old codgers on the Parliament benches who are falling asleep on big expense accounts or to stop building Olympic stadiums; the cost of building the Olympic stadium alone makes the £150m shortfall look like pocket money? Yes I agree I'm totally biased.

How about Olympics covering marbles and tiddlywinks? :huray:

I'm a lot happier today; this morning I boycotted BBC TV sport; at 7am Bron and I were enjoying an episode of "The last of the summer wine" whilst having breakfast via YouTube; a much better start to the day. :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:51 pm 
Pro Carpenter

i could easily have avoided the license fee as i only watch daily politics the one show newsnight live
all off which i could watch a bit later
i choose to pay the 40p a day as the content is well worth it similar to the 48p to the eu as all for a good cause :lol:

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:18 pm 

It's 'peculair' that people will VOLUNTARILY pay the likes of Sky TV around £700 a year for a TV package but object to paying the BBC a 'measly' £165 (?) for their 'service'.

But the difference is called CHOICE. And my choice is to not pay the BBC.

If/when they abide by their Charter (re bias, balance and objectivity) then they'll get their money - until that time they can whistle for it. IMHO it is an offence to aid/abet anyone in breaking the 'law' by funding such methods (said BBC Charter being the 'law' I'm referring to).

For this message the author kellys_eye has received thanks - 2: Retired, surrealdeal
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:57 pm 

haha aye col maybe i will.

currently sat watching tennis. all this sport. i wish the olympics could be every 2 years instead of every 4 years. been a canny summer for sport like. euros, olympics, wimbledon etc etc. and now the foota is back :lol: :lol: :lol: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: though newcastle started the season with a defeat :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

actually... ive got all this sport on tv and this evening i think im going to attempt to play football for the first time in a month.

i keep getting a rather troublesome achillies problem. the physio i go to reakons its my pelvis that goes out of alignment. it travels down and gives me achilies knack. hopefully ill be ok like. if its bad ill be on the phone to her for more treatment in the morning :angryfire: :angryfire:

fingers crossed i get to run about with my mates though. we got new footballs today too. £40 for 2 balls

For this message the author fin has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:54 pm 

Hi,

The BBC couldn't pay me £165 per year to watch sport k_e in fact not at any price because I'm not so hard up; I think it robbery that Bron and I pay a TV licence when all we seem to get on BBC is sport? :pukeleft:

I'm afraid there is no cure for you fin? :lol: :lol: :lol:

My chums are mostly sport lovers as seen in the following copy of an email I received this morning which ecko's my thoughts;

Hi Col

Well, where do I start on this one? It seems we are definitely not alone in our loathing of sport. But I’d like to clarify that point a little. I loathe sport BEING SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT by the BBC. I hate it when the move their schedules to accommodate some event or other – almost always football, of course – the national sport, or so they say. As some of the gents on your forum have voiced, why do we have to endure idiotic drivel being talked incessantly by ‘commentators’ to fill in between the so-called ‘action’ which, if you watch a football match, consists of 98% zilch – when the players run their spitting competitions, plus the odd goal where some bonehead runs wildly off lifting his shirt over his head. I ask you – what the hell is that all about?
Yes, the BBC should have a channel or maybe two devoted to sport – and charge the full licence to those who opt to watch it – whilst the rest of us can watch more intelligent fare and receive a discount for doing so. Definitely the twerps who assemble adverts should have their music-using rights removed (along with other parts). It is especially bad on radio 4 in the morning programme, when tuneless and seemingly meandering unmusical music half-drowns any spoken information, both words and music stopping at exactly the same time. I think they are running some kind of competition to see who can make the least intelligible ad.

You know, once upon a time the BBC showed how things should be done. They had clear, beautifully spoken announcers (Sylvia Peters, Macdonald Hobley, Mary Malcolm to name the furthest back ones from 1950s TV) and intelligent experts on all radio channels. Alan Dell was a particular favourite of mine. He knew his popular music – big band, Sinatra, Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, through to the British bands and singers such as Matt Monro. When I say he knew them, he really did. He’d worked for Radio Luxembourg in its heyday, also spent time at Capitol records in their recording studios. He knew chapter and verse all popular music EXCEPT that of today. I think he probably limited what he played and talked about to before the end of the 1970s. He died of cancer, poor chap. There’s never been anyone to replace him. The BBC tried but failed miserably and now the air time that once was his is taken by Claire Teal. Sunday nights.

One last point. Yes, the Olympic games do hold a little interest at times (accent on little) but to have it in your face seemingly 24 hours per day for the duration of the games is going too far. At least it isn’t football and anything is better than football, including watching a plank warp for a few hours.

I'd much rather watch a plank warp for a few hours. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:08 pm 

Our 'national sport' (if judged by participation rather than observation) is actually fishing! You don't see much of that on TV these days although Monster Fishing is sometimes good viewing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:12 pm 

Just seen this on facebook so coppied the link. See if it works ok..

This is one of the reasons i love sport and appreciate the absolute dedication these guys put into what they do. The hours they put in they probably barely have time for family life never mind work.

Its only a short video and its of the synchronised divers getting bronze medals. So third place basically

https://www.facebook.com/BBCSport/video ... 023923996/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:13 pm 

Its the waitong to see if youve got what you aimed for and the. You get it..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:01 am 

kellys_eye wrote:
It's 'peculair' that people will VOLUNTARILY pay the likes of Sky TV around £700 a year for a TV package but object to paying the BBC a 'measly' £165 (?) for their 'service'.

But the difference is called CHOICE. And my choice is to not pay the BBC.

If/when they abide by their Charter (re bias, balance and objectivity) then they'll get their money - until that time they can whistle for it. IMHO it is an offence to aid/abet anyone in breaking the 'law' by funding such methods (said BBC Charter being the 'law' I'm referring to).

Going off topic a little but what gets me is this ,
The BBC is paid for by a license ( a payment just like a subscription)
ITV /channel 4-5's are paid for by advertising,
So why after paying sky a subscription are there adverts ???

By the way I'm impressed sky has convinced you that they're impartial and unbiased :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:57 am 

Hi,

Well said k_e; I was surprised years ago when I discovered fishing was the top sport/hobby. :salute:

Many thanks fin for adding the video; I agree it's the waiting and I hope the video is waiting for me to watch it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

All this effort; time and vast amounts of money put into sport; what's it all for in the end and what is to show for it? I'm afraid it just goes straight over my head because I think it to be utterly pointless. Is there any tangible result by a ball ending up in a net; over a net or in a hole? If the same effort was put into building something or making something then I would appreciate it but just to kick a ball around a field does absolutely zilch for me.

Good point Grendel; I'm against paying for a BBC TV licence after all why should the BBC be allowed to get their hands deep into our pockets; they didn't invent TV nor did they put money into its early development but they soon found out how to make money from it?

Tuesday 9 August BBC 1.

6:00am - 9:15am Olympic breakfast. :pukeleft:
1:45pm - 6:00pm Live Olympics 2016. :pukeleft:
6:00pm - 6:30pm News/weather AKA sport ? :pukeleft:
6:30pm - 7:00pm Local news/weather I doubt sport will be mentioned. :pukeleft:
7:00pm - 7:30pm Live Olympics 2016. :pukeleft:
7:30pm - 8:00pm Eastenders. :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft:
8:00pm - 10:00pm Live Olympics 2016. :pukeleft:
10:00pm - 10:30pm News/weather AKA sport? :pukeleft:
10:30pm - 10:45pm Local news/weather AKA sport? :pukeleft:
10:45pm - 3:32am Live Olympics 2016. :pukeleft:

It's a shame to miss any of the Olympics so Additional coverage options via the red button or additional coverage can be seen on BBC 4. :pukeleft: :pukeleft:

If this isn't enough then why not switch over to BBC 2?

Bron and I don't like sport so why is sport dominating BBC TV the way it is; I've nothing against anyone watching sport but if I/we want to watch BBC why is this sport thrust upon us it being neverending; if it's not Olympics then its other sport; it just goes on and on without let up. Is this what we pay a TV licence for; it's just robbery? :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft:

Bron and I watched another episode of Last of the summer wine during breakfast; no sport included. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:17 am 

Retired wrote:
Hi,

Bron and I don't like sport so why is sport dominating BBC TV the way it is; I've nothing against anyone watching sport but if I/we want to watch BBC why is this sport thrust upon us it being neverending; if it's not Olympics then its other sport; it just goes on and on without let up. Is this what we pay a TV licence for; it's just robbery?

Kind regards, Col.

The Olympics are held every four years - the whole world participates.

I'd have to say that your probably in a minority in not liking any sport.

Any broadcasting organisation will look to serving the majority - nothing else makes economical sense for them - if there's anything left for niche stuff it's a bonus, (but usually done badly for those in the know).

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:31 am 

Grendel wrote:
[

By the way I'm impressed sky has convinced you that they're impartial and unbiased :roll:

Where, in any part of my post, did I claim Sky were 'impartial and unbiased'?

They are as bad as the BBC in their propaganda - however people can CHOSE not to pay the Sky subscription and they won't be chased for it either.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:47 am 

Hi,

Thanks ayjay; I agree the Olympics are held every four years but there is still little let up in sport coverage on BBC in-between? Why not just call BBC "SPORT" and have done with it? Is sport more important than the American elections or the world economy or any other such thing? :scratch:

The Yeti bit me whilst I was washing it but this didn't make national news unlike a footballer who scratches himself? Please just put sport on a proper dedicated sport channel then we can all be happy? :salute:

Time I got off my backside. :lol:

Kind regards, Col.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]