DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:12 am 
Newly registered Member

I live in a fairly typical looking Victorian terrace, in a first floor flat. We have two bay windows to the front, which I was working on to put up a curtain pole. I was expecting a concrete or wood cross-beam above the window frames, with brick above, but I found lath and plaster stud work, with a huge cavity and some sort of "shell" on the outside.

My question is - how is this constructed? Which bits are load bearing? The weight of the bay roof has to be supported somewhere, right?

Also, now I've found there's basically a thin "shell" + air gap + lath/plaster, I'm wondering if I can get that space filled with cavity wall insulation? I appreciate that if anyone ever hacks out bits of plaster like I have that the insulation will come out, but apart from that, can it be done?

Once again, your sage wisdom is much appreciated!

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:47 pm 

The wall between the 2 bays was often, but not always, built with 4x2 studwork. The bay windows themselves would be strong enough to take the weight and transfer the load to the foundations. The foundations on bays however were often not deep enough to take the load as can be seen in many cases.
I would doubt if any CWI company would pump any insulation into the gap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:01 pm 
Newly registered Member

I see - okay, thanks for the clarification.

Shame about the insulation - I'm gonna get someone over to see what we can do more generally, so I'll ask them, but I'm now ready for the "no, sorry" I'm likely to get.

I wonder if there's some other way I can insulate that area (without having to take the house to pieces)...?