DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:01 pm

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:03 am 
Newly registered Member

Thinking about something like this for a shed powering a 12v battery and 12v leds:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N2INYSC/ ... _lig_dp_it

and wondered if this has to be electrician installed and signed off Part P compliant?

Any thoughts? Not a cheap option, but cheaper than an install from the house and a new RCD I suppose.

TIA

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:44 am 

No. Fill yer boots!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:46 am 
Newly registered Member

:huray: Thanks K_E :salute:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:41 am 

Please do, of course, follow the installation instructions to the letter, particularly with cable sizing, fuses and polarity etc.

The system is ELV (extra low volts) so isn't covered under Part P but you can still cause damage and potentially create a fire situation if you don't fit it correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:42 am 
Newly registered Member

Will do, just at the research stage at the moment, but wanted to see if it was Part P work. Now I know it's not i'll do some research into what is needed.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:54 pm 

It will be very interesting, how about share with us how you get on?

I would also ask are you aware that your £320 does not include the battery? (No mention of one, only a picture and max voltage)
Also why have an inverter to run an LED lamp, when you could run one (several) direct from a 12v battery?
What is the sunshine like where you are? The panels my be 100W and yes there are two of them, but 100w is the most they will give in bright sunshine.

How far is the shed from the house?

25M of 2.5 SWA cable is not even £50
A "garage CU" is not even £35

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:58 pm 

Yeah but the SWA/CU/RCD needs pro installers making it a lot more expensive - not to mention burying the cable.

The solar panels will trickle charge a battery 'all day' and give more than enough power for night time lighting - unless the OP plans to be in the shed, in the dark, ALL night......

The solar solution is the correct one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:13 pm 

I do not agree. You have your opinion, I have mine, we will have to wait and see what the OP says.............. In the meantime

The cable is less than £50 his labour to install said cable is £0

I guess he wants it more than just lighting? why else have a 1000w inverter, also it depends on how much sunshine he gets, and he still has to buy a battery (every 4 years)
Even if you paid £200 for an electrician to guide / sign it off its still cheaper.

The solar solution is the wrong one.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:37 pm 
Newly registered Member

Evening, the shed is about 16 metres from the house, 50' or so. The problem I have with having any notifiable work done, and it's not really a problem, it's just a fact, is that to have any work done the two electricians I have had in to quote for other things, like new electrical sockets in the garage, have said the fuse box needs to be upgraded.

One quoted over a thousand pounds if they did the fusebox for the whole house, one said (from memory so don't quote me) that a 2nd fusebox could be added on for the garage, it was a while ago so that may not be 100% accurate. The 2nd fusebox was going to be about £700-£800 I think, plus £100 per point to install new sockets.

My thought was some led lights might be nice for the winter, so if I was pottering in the shed, I wasn't limited to coming in 3.30-4'ish as it was getting dark, or if I ran an extension lead out from the house to use some power tools, I could have ceiling lights and not have to work off portable site lights in there.

Welcome any thoughts as I said earlier, still a work in progress.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:27 pm 

I'd go solar for the lighting. The inverter (which I didn't notice in your main link) is over-stated and not suited to many useful 'workshop' functions given portable tools are easily around the 750W range (use battery portable tools and their chargers and this problem goes away - as does the need for a 1kW inverter making your setup both cheaper and more long lasting).

I'd go solar for lighting, battery charging for tools, 12V for TV's (if you want - you can get 12V operating sets) and if you have any high power requirements then purchase a small petrol generator (inverter-generators are good) for the limited time they might be in use.

Do you know what your intended 240VAC use might be?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:39 pm 

As you can see kellys_eye and myself do not agree with each other, omegac so at the end of the day it is your choice. (But K_E is right about it not being notifiable)

I also note you have "changed your mind" since at first you gave the impression you wanted to run tools (Because you chose a large inverter) but now you say you will only have lights and any tools will be fed from an extension lead. If this is the case (Just lights) you could opt to use smaller / less equipment which in turn saves you £ if you just want to have lights. I also would have to ask is your shed insulated or do you have a big coat? No seriously have you? in my shed (with mains) I have a fan heater, don't use it often but I do have one it gets very cold.

Regarding the electricians, you have had I will do the job for you for £6k, I am saying that for one reason, I don't want the job at the time you ask. I would suggest they did not want the job that is why the cost was so high.

I would suggest you ask a 3rd electrician to quote you to just for the supply to the shed, but point out you will do all the donkey work (installing the SWA cable) Normally it is buried, but you may have a wall? fences not included.

Its up to you, but what ever you do, keep us informed.

If its of any use, because of you (and a differance of opinion with Kellys_Eye) I am going to try some lights powered by solar, see here

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:35 am 
Newly registered Member

someone-else wrote:

I also note you have "changed your mind" since at first you gave the impression you wanted to run tools (Because you chose a large inverter) but now you say you will only have lights and any tools will be fed from an extension lead.

Nope, no change of mind, just your assumption.

I ask questions here to learn and get advice, I posted a link to a 1KW inverter, was advised it was too large just for lights, I hadn't mentioned using tools, just lights, and got the answer I needed about using it for lights.

I shall watch your trial thread with interest.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:50 pm 

With an inverter that size and a couple of decent batteries you could run some power tools and charge battery tools no problem. You could have a nice little off grid workshop for all manner of tools really.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:38 pm 

The Part P question is not really answered, as it depends on where you live England, Wales, etc. And also how it is interpreted. Personally I would not care if it was or not work requiring registration, if I wanted to do it I would.

As to running off a battery, very interested in the idea, it would work well with a caravan, however it would require quite a large battery, 1kW at 12 volt = 84 amp.

In order to get 80 Ah of power, because of the time it takes to charge, you would need around 200 Ah of battery, so they are only every taken down to 50%. It is the lead acid battery which lets you down, not what comes in the kit.

I have a Lidi smart battery charger, max output 3.8A after bringing the caravan around the back of the house with motor mover, I put the battery on charge, within the first hour the charge rate has dropped to 3A, and it then takes around 16 hours before it shows battery as fully charged. I am sure you can see the problem, one rarely gets 16 hours of sun light, so only way you can charge in time is to limit how much it is discharged, so for me I would have to swap my 75 Ah for 110 Ah which is largest to fit in caravan battery box.

The cure would be to use a Li/ion battery, these would take more charge, but it would need a different charge controller, also the battery on my wife's push bike 36 volt 400 W/h = the equivalent of a 30 Ah 12 volt battery, costs around £300, where a 110 Ah lead acid costs around £80 so it gets rather expensive.

I would not use a battery system at home, in a boat OK, in a caravan OK, for a remote garage OK, but at home where you have option of mains power it's too expensive.