DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:23 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:28 am 
Newly registered Member

Finally managed to rip out my parents bathroom, after some headache managed to get most of the tiles off.

Most were dot and dabbed (who does this)? So came off very easily with a bolster chisel. Others towards the corner had been retired with a strong adhesive where it looks like there was previous water damage.

Anyway the window wall and the bath wall are brick with plaster and skim (no pb). Some areas are a little damp as you can see in the pics and some are bone dry.

Question: what's the easiest way to fix this ready for tiling? There's some big chunks that need filling and other areas are perfect.

Here's some pics for your perusal;

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:03 pm 

Hi Eng,

I will copy and paste a response of mine to another recent post, which also applies to your job:_

"I have patched up many a wall like yours just using a sand & cement mix (half & half Sharp/Soft Sand mixed 4:1 with Cement + Feb)
Where it's deep, get a scratch coat on in the morning with those not so deep; ruling them off with a darby or a wood straight edge. As they start to set rub them over with a Plastic Float.
You can 2nd coat the deeper ones in the afternoon ruling them off., As they start to set, rub em up as above."

Treat the area where the 'Soap dish' was in the same way.
Hope that helps.

Davyp1

For this message the author davyp1 has received gratitude : The Engineer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:07 pm 
Newly registered Member

davyp1 wrote:
Hi Eng,

I will copy and paste a response of mine to another recent post, which also applies to your job:_

"I have patched up many a wall like yours just using a sand & cement mix (half & half Sharp/Soft Sand mixed 4:1 with Cement + Feb)
Where it's deep, get a scratch coat on in the morning with those not so deep; ruling them off with a darby or a wood straight edge. As they start to set rub them over with a Plastic Float.
You can 2nd coat the deeper ones in the afternoon ruling them off., As they start to set, rub em up as above."

Treat the area where the 'Soap dish' was in the same way.
Hope that helps.

Davyp1

Awesome, thanks for the response.

Is it ok to use a sand and cement mix with the existing skim parts that are sound?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:04 pm 
Newly registered Member

Here's more close up picsImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:40 am 

My thoughts looking at your latest photo's is first you need to bottom the strip-out.
Get rid of the bath & bog etc. and then you have a clear look at what their is to be done!
You have a few areas in the plaster which don't look very deep, these would lend themselves to bonding, and of course you could use bonding for the brick areas; so perhaps just get a bag of bonding.
It will rule and trowel flat same as sand and cement and is a good base too for tiling.
Where the soap dish was, just stick a half brick in there using a bit of bonding.

Chee
rs.

For this message the author davyp1 has received gratitude : The Engineer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:03 pm 
Newly registered Member

davyp1 wrote:
My thoughts looking at your latest photo's is first you need to bottom the strip-out.
Get rid of the bath & bog etc. and then you have a clear look at what their is to be done!
You have a few areas in the plaster which don't look very deep, these would lend themselves to bonding, and of course you could use bonding for the brick areas; so perhaps just get a bag of bonding.
It will rule and trowel flat same as sand and cement and is a good base too for tiling.
Where the soap dish was, just stick a half brick in there using a bit of bonding.

Chee
rs.

Got a few new pics with everything ripped out.

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:11 pm 

Get some PVA and mix it up about three water to one PVA. Brush this on all surfaces that you will be applying the bonding to and let it dry. When you are ready to start give it another coat of dilute PVA and as it gets tacky start applying the plaster. The first coat of PVA stops the wall sucking all the water out of the wet plaster as it will quickly become hard to work and it might craze up and the surface will be brittle. The second coat of dilute PVA stays active with the plaster and helps it stick better.

Good luck with it. :thumbright:

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : The Engineer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:35 pm 

Same as above, fill all holes with either hardwall or carlite bonding, and always 2 coat unibond or one coat blue grit the day before.

For this message the author cotswold builders has received gratitude : The Engineer