DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:31 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:54 pm 
Newly registered Member

New to the forum so be gentle please.
Ive bought a house recently with a damp basement. Other homeowners on our street have solved their damp problems with a waterproof membrane and sump pump. There is a spring nearby and so tanking isn't enough to sort the issue (we already have failed tanking in the basement at present). The damp problem is fairly mild, no standing water but is damp all year round.
I'm happy to carry out the work myself but one issue I have is how to do waterproof the concrete stairwell into the basement. Does the waterproof membrane need to cover the stairs, and then have a new staircase built over the original, or is there a waterproof epoxy resin (or something else) that can be painted onto them to waterproof?
Also the gas, water and electricity supply all enter the house through the basement. The consumer unit will need to be detached from the wall and refitted at a later date, as well as the gas meter. Does this work need to be carried out by my electricity/gas supplier?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Common problems etc.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:52 am 

deacon wrote:
New to the forum so be gentle please.
Ive bought a house recently with a damp basement. Other homeowners on our street have solved their damp problems with a waterproof membrane and sump pump. There is a spring nearby and so tanking isn't enough to sort the issue (we already have failed tanking in the basement at present). The damp problem is fairly mild, no standing water but is damp all year round.
I'm happy to carry out the work myself but one issue I have is how to do waterproof the concrete stairwell into the basement. Does the waterproof membrane need to cover the stairs, and then have a new staircase built over the original, or is there a waterproof epoxy resin (or something else) that can be painted onto them to waterproof?
Also the gas, water and electricity supply all enter the house through the basement. The consumer unit will need to be detached from the wall and refitted at a later date, as well as the gas meter. Does this work need to be carried out by my electricity/gas supplier?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Common problems etc.

You say that other homeowners have solved the problem with a waterproof membrane and a sump pump!
But my contention would be that if a sump pump is required, then they haven't solved the water ingress problem!
I have built lots of lift shafts and pits , all of which were provided with a membrane in the pit area and a sump/pump.
But the sump/pump was just belt/braces against any water entering the pit through flood/pipe burst/membrane failure etc.

You say you have failed tanking, please describe the work that has been done already.

davyp1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:51 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Davy, thanks for the reply.
It appears that the previous owners have applied tanking slurry but it has popped/bubbled up due to water building up behind it and causing the tanking to fail. After speaking to other homeowners in the surrounding streets ive found that others have had the same problem with tanking failing.
By my understanding (which could obviously be wrong) is that if water ingress can't be stopped it's best to divert the water using a membrane/ sump pump system.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:00 pm 

deacon. thats right, the slurry will be burst off nerly always.
waste of time.proper tanking with pump and trench needs the walls and floor to be tanked.dont try and tanf or proof the steps.