DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:27 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Banjo filter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:47 pm 

I had my Peugeot van serviced from a local garage I've been using for years and is really good (Hypertech in Bonnybridge). Duncan the owner told me my tyres were needing replaced so I booked 4 new tyres through Blackcircles and had a local tyre fitting company fit them.

While I was having them fitted at the tyre fitting garage an old guy came in and told them he had broken down on the Forth Rd Bridge and had to have his van towed home. He told them the symptoms to which the mechanic said it sounded like his turbo had gone. The old guy had a bit of a moan and left.

When the fitter had finished with my van he asked me if the 'banjo filter' had been replaced at my service last week. Sensing he was taking the p*ss I replied

'no he only changed the harmonica one'

The guy was serious and said it's the filter on the pipe which leads to the turbo. He said if that clogs up it would blow my turbo. Now I'm in my late 40's now and I've been conned in the past but like to think I'm fairly street wise now so I thought I'd run it past Duncan at Hypertech but he's on holiday just now so I've no one that I know to ask.

My own suspicions are the fitter thought he would play on my fears after hearing about the old guys turbo going on his van so he thought he's make a couple of quid out of me. I asked a guy at work who has a fair knowledge of cars and he said as long as you get regular oil changes the filter would be okay. He reckons the guys talking pish.

Before I go back to the garage and call this guy out what do you guys think?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Banjo filter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:58 pm 

Inline filter for the turbo - prob refered to as a banjo filter as that's how's it attached

edit. the banjo bolt has the filter inside it on some 1.6 diesels

edit 2. garret recommend swaping out the banjo filter for a standard banjo what can be seen here at 6.33...........

Last edited by flash22 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author flash22 has received gratitude : Argyll
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:03 pm 

1.6 hdi by any chance?
Definitely have / had a banjo filter as described. I might be wrong but I think it was on earlier engines, check online.
There's also something about having the sump off to check clean the sump pickup at 50K (again check online I might be wrong with the mileage.
Also there is a service bulletin about oil changes for this engine. It's for Citroen, but they're the same engine.
http://c4owners.org/plugins/faq/faq.php?0.cat.5.110

I'd half the recommended mileage for oil changes too, and make sure the right oil is used.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Argyll
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:10 pm 

Dave yes it is the 1.6 HDI. It's a 2011 and done around 90k but has been regularly serviced.

I'll speak to Duncan when he comes back next week just to make sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:28 pm 

I've got a "Posh" Partner van a "Tepee" with the same lump fitted.
I can't find the bit online about some engines not having the filter, but I'm pretty sure when I checked if mine had, it supposedly hadn't. It's a 2010. They seem to have fitted them / not fitted them at different times.
They're quite a "high performance" (compared to the old type diesels at least) lump with a small oil capacity.
Main thing with that engine is to make sure the oil is changed regularly, and the right oil is used. The fact that yours has done 90K shows it's been treated OK.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:08 pm 

Quote:
The fact that yours has done 90K shows it's been treated OK.

I can only assume that Dave.

The previous owner bought the van from a dealer in Glasgow who in turn bought it from Northgate van hire. I didn't receive a stamped service book just a printout from Northgate (supposedly) with the service dates. To be honest a ten year old could have knocked it up.

When I looked over the van I saw the wee green sticker on the back door that Northgate use. The owner told me the Glasgow dealer told him it was a sticker passing it for green emissions. When I told him it was actually a Northgate van hire sticker he went ape :lol:

First thing I done after buying it was get it serviced and timing belt changed :thumbright: