DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:58 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: B&Q bathroom
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:20 am 
Newly registered Member

I got called out to a blocked pan by a customer who was looking after her daughters house, now her daughter had just had a new bathroom fitted by B&Q fitters. I plunged the pan and instantly heard a thud followed by water etc coming out from under the hideaway cistern cabinet.
The idiots had moved the pan from the opposite end of the bathroom, connected the soil pipe into what was already poking through the wall and rerun the soil pipe about 2 mtrs away and turned the corner into the cabinets with a flexi soil connector boxing in the soil pipe tight under a radiator which has no hope of ever convecting again.
The thud I heard was the flexible pan connector falling off the spigot of the pan and was blocked presumably because it was sagging and heavy with waste.
Liz, my customer said that since it was installed the water level seemed to be always high in the pan and I explained to her that it would be because they didn't lower the soil pipe coming into the room and it was in fact running the wrong way and her daughter ought to get them back to rectify the problem.
The fitters returned and left leaving the external soil pipe to be removed by an asbestos removal company after which they drilled a hole 2 mtrs away from the old entry point and rerun the new soil pipe as they should have done in the first place all at great expense to B&Q (they also paid my bill). The radiator is still not working as it should though.. they came to an agreement with Louise.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: B&Q bathroom
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:39 am 

Sad to say that is fairly typical of B & Q fitters..

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:56 am 

what do you base that on wino?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:38 am 

Loosenup wrote:
what do you base that on wino?

Being asked to fix a couple (tiling falling off/leaks etc.) within a year of the install....

By complete coincidence "Dont get done get Dom" is on the telly right now...

The subject being...

Bodged B&Q bathroom fitting.....

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:43 am 
BANNED

good info,By complete coincidence "Dont get done get Dom" is on the telly right now.thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:16 pm 

Not defending B&Q but , if every install was a mess then they would have no business at all , just a tad unfair of you to class all installers that do work for B&Q in the same category . there are bound to bad ones and good ones . bear in mind that B&Q fit massive amounts of jobs during a year so there are bound to be some that goes wrong .I have seen some bad fits and I have seen some really top class installs too .
just my opinion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:43 pm 
Wood Flooring Installer

Loosenup wrote:
Not defending B&Q but , if every install was a mess then they would have no business at all , just a tad unfair of you to class all installers that do work for B&Q in the same category . there are bound to bad ones and good ones . bear in mind that B&Q fit massive amounts of jobs during a year so there are bound to be some that goes wrong .I have seen some bad fits and I have seen some really top class installs too .
just my opinion

The voice of rational thinking :thumbright: A sound opinion it is too mate!

Squeakyfloorsolution.co.uk

>>>>>> Manchester based wood floor installers <<<<<<

For this message the author Wes has received gratitude : Loosenup
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:31 pm 

Loosenup wrote:
just my opinion

Not necessarily. Advertising works wonders. By all accounts B&Q take a huge cut and the trades don't get much. Online reviews suggest they are not the most respected fits.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:33 pm 

Leif wrote:
Loosenup wrote:
just my opinion

Not necessarily. Advertising works wonders. By all accounts B&Q take a huge cut and the trades don't get much. Online reviews suggest they are not the most respected fits.

Well Leif.. I do install for B&Q and a few others including supply of my own kitchens and after 35 yrs in the industry I would stand by my quality of work any time .. Online .. Hmm .. How many people do you know that when they are totally satisfied with any work done , actually go online and say .. Yo! this was a great install.. conversely how many people would you expect to complain if things went a tad wrong .. I am betting that the percentage of people complaining will far outweigh the ones saying nice things .. this is the way it is , has been , and always will be . so basing a result on what can be seen is sometimes in my opinion rather rash naive . Bit like classing all Irish people as stupid because of all the jokes about them .
B&Q do take a large "cut" , but the pricing to the installer is ok ( not brilliant , but ok ).. From my understanding of the way the installations are run is that the big cut does not actually just go into the profit coffers , but provide insurance and guarantee cover for 5 years , and also wages for delivery staff admin staff , remedial work and so on ( usual running costs of a business which have to be covered) .
I have worked for other firms where there is a cut taken on installations and the backup service to the fitter and customer leaves a lot to be desired, so it seems the bigger you are in this industry the more attention you get if things go wrong , does not really mean they are rubbish , just because of the volumn of jobs done , percentage of say 5% going wrong is huge when you are doing thousands of jobs in a year compared to a small firm doing say 2 a month or 10 a month ..
This is just my opinion . :thumbleft:
Phill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:45 pm 

:dunno: I used to work in retail some years ago...and it was said that bad service would be recounted to 30 odd people... but good service to one or two...

That was before the days of the internet/facebook/twitter though...

So I would guess that you could add a few 1000 to all of those figures.... :dunno:

Verwood Handyman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:52 pm 

I fitted a bq kitchen last week,total nightmare with the usual missing/damaged parts and very poor quality. The worktops are awful quality as well,they are cheaper than the rest of the competition for a reason IMO. I feel sorry for the guys fitting their stuff day in and out.
The plumber hasn't been able to fit the bathroom in its entirety on the same job due to damaged toilet and broken parts on a shower screen,b and q also take an age to send out replacement parts..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:17 pm 

Loosenup wrote:
Leif wrote:
Loosenup wrote:
just my opinion

Well Leif.. I do install for B&Q and a few others including supply of my own kitchens and after 35 yrs in the industry I would stand by my quality of work any time .. Online .. Hmm .. How many people do you know that when they are totally satisfied with any work done , actually go online and say .. Yo! this was a great install.. conversely how many people would you expect to complain if things went a tad wrong .. I am betting that the percentage of people complaining will far outweigh the ones saying nice things .. this is the way it is , has been , and always will be . so basing a result on what can be seen is sometimes in my opinion rather rash naive . Bit like classing all Irish people as stupid because of all the jokes about them .
B&Q do take a large "cut" , but the pricing to the installer is ok ( not brilliant , but ok ).. From my understanding of the way the installations are run is that the big cut does not actually just go into the profit coffers , but provide insurance and guarantee cover for 5 years , and also wages for delivery staff admin staff , remedial work and so on ( usual running costs of a business which have to be covered) .
I have worked for other firms where there is a cut taken on installations and the backup service to the fitter and customer leaves a lot to be desired, so it seems the bigger you are in this industry the more attention you get if things go wrong , does not really mean they are rubbish , just because of the volumn of jobs done , percentage of say 5% going wrong is huge when you are doing thousands of jobs in a year compared to a small firm doing say 2 a month or 10 a month ..
This is just my opinion . :thumbleft:
Phill

The first thing I done as the Estates Manager of a large London teaching Hospital was to hang a sign in the entrance to the Estates Dept.

That sign read "Nobody remembers when we do things right & Nobody will let us forget when we don't
If you forget everything else, remember this"

For this message the author The man with no aim has received gratitude : Loosenup
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:05 am 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
I fitted a bq kitchen last week,total nightmare with the usual missing/damaged parts and very poor quality. The worktops are awful quality as well,they are cheaper than the rest of the competition for a reason IMO. I feel sorry for the guys fitting their stuff day in and out.
The plumber hasn't been able to fit the bathroom in its entirety on the same job due to damaged toilet and broken parts on a shower screen,b and q also take an age to send out replacement parts..

Steve .. this seems to be an issue with supply only kitchens as the stores control the replacement parts ordering .. depends on the store how good this is .. when the customer pays for install , any missing parts are ordered through the installation centre in the region .. the staff have time limits on how quick this is achieved .. and most of the time any missing parts I have ordered have turned up in 48 hours .. not bad ..
B&Q stuff is priced to attract the customer within certain budgets , so therefore the quality is gonna be lower than a studio showroom , but a good fitter will make a cheap kitchen look good . When I first started fitting 35 years ago the quality of kitchens left a lot to be desired unless you bout Eastham , Grovewood , english Rose or french and german makes , but these days there are loads of kitchens which ae all around about the same quality .. it is down to the installer to make em go right .. a great quality kitchen fitted by an amatuer will look bad as much as a cheap one can look good .. so we as fitters are on the sharp end of the stick , and it is our experience and professionalism that put us one step above general joes " I have fitted 2 kitchens before" crowd .. We as a trade should be proud that we are able to make a job look good no matter what quality of kitchen is supplied . Those who complain all the time need to chill out a bit and learn to overcome things instead of throwing tantrums and blaming everyone else in sight .. instead , cultivate relations with the said firms that are supplying and maybe then get a little more help in rectifying issues .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:49 am 

Of course you can try and turn a sows lug into a silk purse but it takes longer(more labour,extra ££) and I'll be honest bq aren't any cheaper than howdens who's units are rigid and of much better quality. You also don't have to wait weeks on bits or the (48hrs in your case.
I know it won't ever stop people buying from diy stores and I fully take your point about the volumes they are installing hence more bad reviews,they also have way more good reviews.
I was merely stating the quality is not very good IMO,you can get much better for the same money.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : scot-canuck