DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:42 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:18 pm 
Newly registered Member

Recently I’ve had the chance to try out some Quangsheng and Axminster Rider planes. These planes cost about the same (i.e. both are about half the price of Veritas, Lie-Nielsen or Clifton). If you use hand planes a fair bit, like me you’ve probably read bold claims by Quangsheng and Axminster Rider about their high quality. Well, one of them is lying!

I took a punt on a Quangsheng smoother and what a beauty it was. It barely needed a tickle to flatten the sole and the blade’s 01 steel has been a doddle to hone. It takes a keen edge that seems to last well. It feels beautifully made and there’s hardly any backlash on the blade adjuster. Even if I could afford it, I can’t see what more you’d get from a Lie-Nielsen; perhaps a 100% flat sole out-of-the-box, but that’s it.

In contrast, I tried a Rider jack plane last time I was in Axminster. What a bag of shite! The mouth adjuster didn’t work. I don’t mean it worked badly. I mean it didn’t work full stop. The blade adjuster was rubbish: almost impossible to turn. Perhaps it was an unusually bad example, but whoever does qualy control for Rider planes needs shooting. Even if the adjusters had actually worked, the build quality felt way below Quangsheng.

I’ve no association with Quangsheng or Workshop Heaven, but that’s where I’d go for a quality plane.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Fancy_Dan has received thanks - 2: big-all, Job and Knock
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:30 am 
Pro Carpenter

Fancy_Dan wrote:
Recently I’ve had the chance to try out some Quangsheng and Axminster Rider planes. These planes cost about the same (i.e. both are about half the price of Veritas, Lie-Nielsen or Clifton). If you use hand planes a fair bit, like me you’ve probably read bold claims by Quangsheng and Axminster Rider about their high quality. Well, one of them is lying!

I took a punt on a Quangsheng smoother and what a beauty it was. It barely needed a tickle to flatten the sole and the blade’s 01 steel has been a doddle to hone. It takes a keen edge that seems to last well. It feels beautifully made and there’s hardly any backlash on the blade adjuster. Even if I could afford it, I can’t see what more you’d get from a Lie-Nielsen; perhaps a 100% flat sole out-of-the-box, but that’s it.

In contrast, I tried a Rider jack plane last time I was in Axminster. What a bag of shite! The mouth adjuster didn’t work. I don’t mean it worked badly. I mean it didn’t work full stop. The blade adjuster was rubbish: almost impossible to turn. Perhaps it was an unusually bad example, but whoever does qualy control for Rider planes needs shooting. Even if the adjusters had actually worked, the build quality felt way below Quangsheng.

I’ve no association with Quangsheng or Workshop Heaven, but that’s where I’d go for a quality plane.

thanks for a good and honest review it help us all make a well informed choice :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:16 pm 
Old School Chippie

Fancy_Dan wrote:
... the blade’s 01 steel has been a doddle to hone.

The blades are actually T10 steel, not O1. A minor point as the two steels are very, very similar

Fancy_Dan wrote:
Even if I could afford it, I can’t see what more you’d get from a Lie-Nielsen; perhaps a 100% flat sole out-of-the-box, but that’s it.

Actually the L-N planes are flatter, there is less backlash and there are less "rough edges" than on the QS planes. The same is true for both Veritas and Clifton products. As far as the blades go I have had to flatten the backs of several QS plane ironss, although not much, and the QS irons certainly need honing before use whereas the "top three" brands tools come "ready to work". But I agree - as a working tool it's dubious that it's worth that much more for so little extra. To me, at least. For anyone who has only ever used Silverline or Anant planes moving up to a QS plane is like stepping out of an old Lada and into a new BMW - the difference is that marked. Nice to see the comparison with Rider - especially as Axminster has made big claims for the updated range

For anyone interested Quangsheng Luban planes are also sold in the UK by Rutlands (who spell the name "Qiangsheng"), as Juuma planes by Dieter Schmid in Germany (link is to the block planes, but they sell other QS-made planes as well - take a look round the rest of their site, very interesting) and also slightly higher spec versions are sold under the name "Wood River" by Wood Workers Workshop (Peter Sefton) in the UK (the brand is owned by US chain Woodcraft). Just put that in to show that there are more sources out there on the UK market. Incidentally there may be detail differences between different suppliers products, for example the "Wood River" planes generally have a few minor improvements (e.g. knuckle lever cap on some block planes) and are to a slightly higher spec. than the Quangsheng models. In use it makes little difference. I have several of these QS/Woiiod River planes and they are excellent products, despite being Chinese - as I've said on this site a number of times in the past

Just to prove how anally retentive I can be I hasppen to know that the firm's long name is "Cixi City Qiangsheng Tools Co., Ltd" and they use "Luban" as their brand name.

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930