DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:27 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:01 am 

I had been on the lookout for a planer thicknesser for a while, and had been toying with a big dewalt 27300 item, but in the end I figured the big dewalt would be way to big for my workshop, and was way to expensive for what I needed (rather than wanted)

I went back to basic's and read reviews of all manner of cheaper machines and stumbled on the clarke / draper / axminster £200ish end of the market. these tools all appear very similar if different colours.

The Axminster MB9020 was on special a while back, and Axminster were also doing a 10% aniversary special, so it seemed rude not to..
Attachment:
IMG_4244.jpg
IMG_4244.jpg [ 44.88 KiB | Viewed 6776 times ]

This item is really heavy, but there was not much effort required to set it up - you just have to attach the fence.
Before it will do anything you have to attach the chip extractor, which is a bit of a fag; and swapping from planer to thicknesser is quite a timeconsuming activity.

This bad boy is loud, I bought ear defenders with it, and boy do you need them.

initial impression was that it looked a bit cheap (I normally buy Makita / Dewalt stuff) and while installing the fence I was getting a little worried, as it's a flimsy pressed steal thing.

So what's it like to use?
Planer - the table could do with being a bit longer, as its hard to sort out long bent bits of wood. that said it does a pretty good job if they are reasonable to start with. So select your wood with care, or pre prepair it on another tool first.

Thicknesser - this is really good, actually better than I had expected it would be, I get smooth planks out every time. It does add a little snipe to both ends of the job (where it cuts a fraction deeper), but this is easily cut off later, or sanded away, it's really tiny in the big picture.
changing height is with a simple handle, but the depth setting is just an arrow pointing to a tape - so run a test peice first and measure the result.
the depth adjusting handle is positioned to just rub on the planer blade cover arm which is odd, but if you ignore this its fine.

So I like it, and for the money you can't really go wrong.

the instructions warn about not lifing the machine by the planer tables, which is reasonable, but there is not really much to grab hold of, so I tend to keep it at one end of my work bench and drag it into play when required.

You really do need chip extraction as this produces a massive amount of chips, make sure you have plenty of suck as it can block up quickly. You can't operate it without ear defenders.

Phill

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author phill has received gratitude : big-all
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:34 am 
Pro Carpenter

nice review thanks for taking the time to compose :thumbright: :thumbright:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:11 pm 

Had one like this the cutter had a very small bearing at one end that was very noisy and never lasted very long. I ended up making a larger bearing housing and fitted a larger bearing that solved the problem. Now have a second hand larger machine.