DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:39 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Autofeed screwguns
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:09 pm 

I have to frame, OSB, plaster board my whole house...
My normal method is using a cordless drill, a magnet bit and a screw pouch.
However due to the amount to do, the overhead aspects, working up a ladder up a stair well... I feel this would be a worthwhile investement.
Another bonus is that it can be used to hasten framing somewhat.

Questions:
Will I save a significant amount of time?

Am I forgetting an important parameter in choosing?

Choices: Right now I have narrowed my choise to:
1) Makita DFR550Z with 18 V Starterset 3,0Ah (charger with 2 batteries): 440€.
-Good: reputation, availability of spare parts, fine tune of screw depth, nice belt clip, massive choice of Makita tools.
-Bad: Average personal experience with Makita, I have no Makita charger battery.
- Links: http://www.screwfix.eu/makita-dfr550z-18v-li-ion-cordless-auto-feed-screwdriver-bare-f96fe5.html, https://www.toolmax.nl/makita-18-v-starterset-3-0ah-bl1830-2-st-lader-dc18rc.html

2) Metabo SE 18 LTX 6000 + SM 5-55 (included chqrger and 2 2Ah batteries): 435€ (on sale at 348€)
-Good: Very good personal experience with Metabo, I have Metabo batteries, spare parts galore, lots more metal parts than others.
-Bad: belt clip, expensive spare batteries, other Metabo tools I have in mind are expensive.
-Link: https://www.metabo.com/uk/en/tools/drilling-screwdriving-chiselling-stirring/drywall-screwdrivers/se-18-ltx-6000-sm-5-55-620049510-cordless-drywall-screwdriver.html

I also considered the Keyang ASD1800L and the Hitachi WF14DSL but its hqrd to find unbiased reviews...

Notes:
No "just take a corded", I want to avoid wires, it is a hassle to get 4m up a ladder with a wided tool and a piece of OSB (plus the price is near identical).
A tools that is within a big "familly" that uses the same battery is a bonus.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Autofeed screwguns
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:28 pm 
Old School Chippie

gildasd wrote:

You mean boarding, surely? The longest screw most screw guns can handle is 50mm

gildasd wrote:

Yes, but set that against the extra cost of decent collated screws

gildasd wrote:
1) Makita DFR550Z with 18 V Starterset 3,0Ah (charger with 2 batteries): 440€....

....2) Metabo SE 18 LTX 6000 + SM 5-55 (included chqrger and 2 2Ah batteries): 435€ (on sale at 348€)

I have the Makita and whilst I've had very few issues with it myslef about half of the guys who've borrowed it off me have brought it back jammed or damaged which I think is saying something about the tool. Others here on UHM detest them. The reason I persist with mine is that it uses the same battery system as the rest of my cordless kit. That said I have deWalt cordless 16ga and 1st fix guns with 3 batteries and having tried the DCF620 I'm tempted to buy that as it comes in collated/"one-shot" driver form which is extremely handy - especially as it's been recommended by Stevie and others on here. Also it is faster in use and lighter than the Mak. In fact one of the few gripes I have about it is that it is very easy to flip the forwards-reverse switch to te wrong way and have issues - but TBH that is also a Mak problem. I also have to say that there is something to be said for sticking with one or two battery systems

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : gildasd
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:46 pm 

By framing I mean a quick screw to hold stuff before putting the real screws - but mostly boarding.
90% of the screws I'll use will be 32mm and those cost 12 to 16€ per 1000, so yeah not cheap.

From what I gather, the Makita is somewhat faster and "better". The Metabo is slower but more tolerant to different collated screw bands and rougth usage...

The Metabo has a advantage for me as it avoids another battery set - but there is no "cheap" option in their 18V tools.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:45 pm 

Trying to find other sources for collated screws, but even on AliBaba the end price is about the same as my usual Dutch or Belgian suppliers.

And Ebay has turned into stupid land where people sell a single 50 screw bands for 9€ (plus 22€ for postage).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:16 pm 

i bought the dewalt coalated gun. only gripe i can find is that the reverse switch is in an awkward place for a left hander. i often knock it by mistake with my finger. i dont think it would be quite as much of an issue with a right hander.

For this message the author fin has received gratitude : gildasd
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:21 pm 

I’ve tried most brands of collated gun. Makita is a brand I don’t rate,to many jams and the ends don’t last long. I used the hilti with the smd57 end for many years,great gun and it’s still the best on the market,easy to use,built to last and very few jams. 18 months ago the hilti batteries gave up the ghost so I bought a naked dewalt and although they’ve increased in price they are second only to the hilti imo. Smooth action,little in the way of jams on screws up to 40mm long but can be a little problematic using 55mm screws,they don’t seem to feed as smooth.
I use my dewalt weekly and it’s probably screwed in excess of 3-400 thousand screws and it’s still working fine.
Shop around for screws. It’s cheaper buying in large quantities,so try and cut a deal and buy enough to do your whole project at once if funds permit.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : gildasd
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:40 am 

Pulled the trigger on the Metabo, the -20% price cut made it just too tempting...
The screws to start with cost 11.2€ per 1000 25mm and 16€ per 1000 45mm - all WOFIX (no idea if that is any good) - 4000 total to start.

Thanks for all the input!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:08 pm 

Job and Knock wrote:
gildasd wrote:

You mean boarding, surely? The longest screw most screw guns can handle is 50mm

gildasd wrote:

Yes, but set that against the extra cost of decent collated screws

gildasd wrote:
1) Makita DFR550Z with 18 V Starterset 3,0Ah (charger with 2 batteries): 440€....

....2) Metabo SE 18 LTX 6000 + SM 5-55 (included chqrger and 2 2Ah batteries): 435€ (on sale at 348€)

I have the Makita and whilst I've had very few issues with it myslef about half of the guys who've borrowed it off me have brought it back jammed or damaged which I think is saying something about the tool. Others here on UHM detest them. The reason I persist with mine is that it uses the same battery system as the rest of my cordless kit. That said I have deWalt cordless 16ga and 1st fix guns with 3 batteries and having tried the DCF620 I'm tempted to buy that as it comes in collated/"one-shot" driver form which is extremely handy - especially as it's been recommended by Stevie and others on here. Also it is faster in use and lighter than the Mak. In fact one of the few gripes I have about it is that it is very easy to flip the forwards-reverse switch to te wrong way and have issues - but TBH that is also a Mak problem. I also have to say that there is something to be said for sticking with one or two battery systems

i wonder if its possible to take it apart, disconect the reverse part of the switch and build it back up

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:16 pm 
Old School Chippie

The thing is that the DW has two operating modes - collated screw gun mode for the plastic collated screws and single (manual feed) screw gun mode for loose screws. In the single screw gun mode I can say from experience with the similar Makita DFS452 that it is very handy to have that reverse mode, especially if you need to take a board back off (which happens). In collated screw gun mode as you say the reverse seems about much use as horns on a football :roll:

Attachment:
deWalt DFC620 001_01.JPG
deWalt DFC620 001_01.JPG [ 20.98 KiB | Viewed 1232 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:29 pm 

I use the reverse mode quite a bit. The collated end just pops off easily and you’re left with the long ph2bit exposed for removing a board.
I’ve never used the end for putting in the screws singularly. I’ve never seen anyone put screws in singularly for boarding for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:57 pm 

aye i suppose like. they defffo could look at a slight re design on that front then. moving it from where it is to a little further up like on the normal cordless drills would be a plan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:59 pm 

stevie. a little while ago i lent mine to a brickie who was boarding a ceiling as he couldnt get on due to rain.

this gun is feckin shiiiite..... moan moan moan.... i went to see what he couldnt manage,.... he was pressing the gun up and it was flicking the screw round before he was pulling the trigger haha.... he had went and pulled a few strips of screws apart and proceded to use a standard cordless as my auto gun was too difficult to use.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:15 pm 
Old School Chippie

:scratch: :shock: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:44 pm 

it was quite unbeleivable.

pull the trigger. press the tip against the board. done....

::b ::b ::b ::b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:55 pm 

Ordered the Metabo, got the Makita 550z...
Something happened between me putting things in the basket and paying...
Note to self: check the invoice more thoroughly next time.

Anyhow, decided to keep the Makita as it was heavily discounted (268€ Bare machine including Tax & postage) and I need it now!

Edit:
1) The box has a few design flaws, needs modifications.
2) Ordered the el cheapo charger, got the actively cooled fast charger, probably as a gesture about the previous order, nice touch.

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]