DIY Forum

 

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:03 pm
Visit Hilti


Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:13 am 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
When I start my car from cold it seems like it's missing until I rev it a few times and it evens itself out.

Also, I've noticed on idle that the engine "jumps" intermittently.

Generally drives ok though.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:19 am 
Online
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Posts: 8203
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 592 times
Been thanked: 1720 times
Sounds like sensor is not working and the ECU is getting the fuel balance wrong. You need to pick up the error codes from the OBD port.

DWD

_________________
Painting with BIN


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:35 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:33 pm
Posts: 719
Location: North Herts
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 109 times
Could be a dead heater plug.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:15 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Kent, Land of Apples and PYO
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 546 times
bad glow plug or a injector

scan for codes, check the voltages and resistance of the plugs then a leak down test to check the injectors

when was the last time the fuel filter was changed/water drained off ?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:44 pm 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
Bob225 wrote:
bad glow plug or a injector

scan for codes, check the voltages and resistance of the plugs then a leak down test to check the injectors

when was the last time the fuel filter was changed/water drained off ?

Probably last time it was serviced. So in the last 12 months or so.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:56 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Kent, Land of Apples and PYO
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 546 times
I doubt it, unless you requested it, what year is the car ?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:49 pm 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
Bob225 wrote:
I doubt it, unless you requested it, what year is the car ?

2006. 170k on clock.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:55 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Kent, Land of Apples and PYO
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 546 times
Do the filter then, they are cheap enough, Crossland one is about a tenner, the better quality one (Bosch) is £15-16



For this message the author Bob225 has received gratitude : fitzy
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:57 pm 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
Cheers mate. As I say, it's due a service so I'll mention it.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:42 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 12:34 pm
Posts: 1355
Has thanked: 334 times
Been thanked: 226 times
Once youve tried the filter another vote for a glow plug, relatively cheap fix, just working out which one is faulty.

_________________
:thumbleft:

The Barman says, "I'm sorry, we don't serve time travellers". This time traveller walks into a bar.



For this message the author Chop has received gratitude : fitzy
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:39 pm 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
Chop wrote:
Once youve tried the filter another vote for a glow plug, relatively cheap fix, just working out which one is faulty.

Finally got the car serviced this weekend and also did and engine flush and fuel treatment.

The jumping whilst on idle has smoothed out, but the cold start bit still hasn't been totally cured.

Looking through all the receipts there is no mention of the plugs being replaced and with 176k on the clock they must definitely be ready to change.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:02 am 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
Latest on this is the car still has a rough idle but now sounds like it's blowing slightly. Sounds like towards the back end of the exhaust. I'm wondering if the two are related?

No loss of power, and still drives well.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:15 pm 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
And to add to this again, today my exhaust finally gave up the ghost, so I'll soon find out whether or not the rough idle was caused by the exhaust. The blowing certainly was! [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Drove it today and noticed it suddenly sounded louder, followed by a clank.

When I looked underneath, as far as I could see a section had totally disconnected from the front sections.

It's going in first thing fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:45 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:49 pm
Posts: 23894
Location: hants/dorset border
Has thanked: 1484 times
Been thanked: 3785 times
fitzy wrote:
And to add to this again, today my exhaust finally gave up the ghost, so I'll soon find out whether or not the rough idle was caused by the exhaust. The blowing certainly was! [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Drove it today and noticed it suddenly sounded louder, followed by a clank.

When I looked underneath, as far as I could see a section had totally disconnected from the front sections.

It's going in first thing fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Proper garage I hope and not Kwik fit or the ilk ??

_________________
Verwood Handyman

Verwood Handyman


___________________________________________________________________

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:55 pm 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
wine~o wrote:
fitzy wrote:
And to add to this again, today my exhaust finally gave up the ghost, so I'll soon find out whether or not the rough idle was caused by the exhaust. The blowing certainly was! [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Drove it today and noticed it suddenly sounded louder, followed by a clank.

When I looked underneath, as far as I could see a section had totally disconnected from the front sections.

It's going in first thing fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Proper garage I hope and not Kwik fit or the ilk ??
Yeah, it's a local garage, so if he lifts the car up and finds it's something minor he'll sort it rather than trying to sell me a complete system like those guys.

I've been doing a bit of googling and it appears that the vw and audi exhaust parts just slot into one another so hopefully it's a quick fix if it's just come apart, which looks to be the case.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

 

 




Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO