DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:11 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:53 pm 
Newly registered Member

I'm having trouble getting a curtain track attached to a ceiling in a bay window. The window reaches all the way to the ceiling and above it there's only the flat roof. The track we have needs fittings either side of each bend, not directly on the bend and there doesn't seem to be a joist anywhere near that I can get a screw into. Any ideas out there? I'm hoping I don't need to take the ceiling down to get the job done.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:26 pm 

Others might not agree but it it were me, after knocking on the ceiling to find does the noise change (Must be something there is it does change) I would shove a terminal screwdriver into the ceiling at 1 inch intervals until I found a joist. Once found at one end try the same at the other (You could measure the distance from the wall for the first one you found)
Depending on the span, and the weight of the curtain it may need a central support, in which case I would consider fixing a "small plank of wood*" to the ceiling and then it would be possible to fix as and where required into said plank.

* Decorative piece of timber.

You could also use an adhesive to hold the plank up. (Bearing in mind you only get 1 attempt)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Dug2099
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:12 pm 
Newly registered Member

Cheers, I'm leaning towards the batten thing too. The joists seem to run straight out from the corners of the bay and like I said, I can't put the fittings right on the points where the track bends. Hadn't thought of gluing it though so thanks for that idea :-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:17 pm 
Old School Chippie

Small plank of wood = patress, curtain rail board or batten

Attachment:
Track-boards 001_01.jpg
Track-boards 001_01.jpg [ 22.68 KiB | Viewed 593 times ]

As S-E has said it is possible to fix an MDF or softwood patress to the ceiling providing that there are several points where it can be fixed through into the ceiling joists. Additional support can also be had by using a grip adhesive (e.g. GripFil, Pink Grip, etc) between the board and the plasterwork and additionally dovetail nailing (nailing at angles - with pairs of nails alternatively angled left and right) the board to the ceiling plasterwork - for which panel pins or small oval nails, punched well under and the holes filled, both work well. Do not load this with track, etc until it has had 2 or 3 days to set. If the curtains are heavy additional support brackets onto the window frames themselves might be adviseable

Attachment:
Support_brackets 001_01.jpg
Support_brackets 001_01.jpg [ 134.39 KiB | Viewed 593 times ]

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : Dug2099
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:29 am 

a true curved bay is usaly an old bay so the joists will cantilever straight into the curved wall plate. if you can go upstairs an lift the carpet an check the nail heads showing the joist positions.or do the same in the loft.
joists shouldbe spaced 16" on centres an 14 1/2" spaces between.
if you got a jig saw you can shape a presentable batten, prepaint an fix to joists especally if you have kids or old people.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:44 pm 

if its plasterboard then it may be a plan to use those grip it fixings.