DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:00 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:06 pm 

This has come up on another forum I use along with a petition to sign if one wishes.
The principal objection was article 15 and it's potential effect on tradesmen. The bill is aiming to prevent bladed items being sold online and posted to a domestic address although by all accounts posting to a designated pick up point would be acceptable.
I personally don't have any strong feelings one way or another as I rarely buy blades or bladed goods online , bulk purchase of Stanley blades and a disappointing block plane that I would more than likely have not brought if I had seen it in a shop .
As the talk is of the effect on tradesmen I thought a straw poll to see who would feel the old be interesting.
Incidentally if you think it's all wrong and misguided here's a link to the petition ,
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/222776

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Grendel has received thanks - 4: Argyll, Dave54, Job and Knock, wine~o
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:46 pm 

More rules that "fiddle around the edges"
People who use whatever in a criminal manner will just carry on regardless, but it all makes it more awkward to live your everyday life.
Perhaps if they properly enforced the existing laws, and made punishments actually fit the crimes commited.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:49 pm 

Signed and agree with Dave 54 about politicians trying to be seen to be doing something...

Theresa May was responsible for the police cuts which is why we are in such a mess anyway.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:06 pm 

Stupid laws.

If they simply made knife offences punishable by minimum 15 year sentence (no parole) we wouldn't be faffing around the edges using up time, money and energy 'policing' the matter nor would we be faced with this pathetic knee jerk intrusion on everyday lives.

'kin politicians haven't got a frikken clue.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Gadget
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:04 pm 

Fully agree the better way to deal with this sort off thing is far harsher sentences for anyone who uses or threatens with a knife , acid or even a broom handle rather than making it harder for decent folks to buy tools. Seems another example off politicians who in all probability have the best of intents in wanting Duce violent crime but choosing a ill conceived path.
I suppose if it does reduce crime , which I very much doubt , the inconvenience off having to go to an actual shop would hardly be a hardship although I can see tradesmen loosing an opportunity for a bargain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:57 pm 

And the US that has the death penalty has it stopped gun crime?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:27 pm 

OchAye wrote:
And the US that has the death penalty has it stopped gun crime?

Loaded question - you could equally ask 'how many deaths by gun crime would there be if there WASN'T a death penalty'? More? or less?

No harsh sentence will STOP crimes happening - they will, however, reduce the incidence, if only by taking the brainless thugs that consider carrying such weapons (knives) off the street.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 pm 
Pro Carpenter

its such a complicated story where a journey through life has gone wrong in perhaps 10 separate points before it gets to that stage so you could threaten beheading deportation or carstration it won matter the damage has been done
it starts with the extended family and community keeping an eye on the youngsters keeping them on the strait and narrow
it relies on the local bobbie knowing his beat and the unrully
it relies on the school helping with dissiplin and feedback to the parents
it relies on after school activities to give them role models and guidence in life
it relies in youth clubs or other activities to fill the often empty times in the evening
but most off all it relies on love guidance security off at least one parent or grandparent making it to parents evening greeting them home after school listening to there day and problems
giving guidence and encouragement a bollocking when needed but most off all make sure there energies are directed in a good rather than evil direction

now having said all that its not in general now possible because since the 70s profit over society has been the concern
perhaps now we should try and re ballanced with society being more important than profit :dunno:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:13 am 

Big-all's points have been brought up before , the problem is more cultural than one of availability. It's also been pointed out that the problem isn't evenly spread out over ethnic groups and sexes , for instance there seems to be a higher proportion of Afro Caribbean young men willing to carry a knife.The mention of the death penalty and gun crime statistics in America is an interesting case in point of cultural influence. People bring up countries like Switzerland that also have high levels of gun ownership but a much lower fatality rate , the difference is seemingly cultural. As to how anyone goes about changing a nation's culture I'm really not sure.
I feel it's probably worth signing the petition for what it's worth . Even if it may not affect me to any sizeable degree I do see it as a pointless bill in that it won't achieve it's objectives but will make the lives of the law abiding far more difficult.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:44 am 

guns don't kill, people kill, people - this is getting silly, charity shops are not selling cutlery as its to much of a liability, just in case someone else forks them self

I cant see the point on banning the sales via the internet of blades over a certain size, but its just going to put it underground and create a black market, knifes are in every home across the planet

you can make anything into a offensive weapon, take a brass plumb bob for instance

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 am 

Bob225 wrote:
guns don't kill, people kill, people - this is getting silly, charity shops are not selling cutlery as its to much of a liability, just in case someone else forks them self

I cant see the point on banning the sales via the internet of blades over a certain size, but its just going to put it underground and create a black market, knifes are in every home across the planet

Which brings us back to the cultural issue. I always feel there's an irony when governments try to restrict our ownership or access to weapons( or things viewed as weapons) while at the same time spending a fortune on nuclear weapons whose only function would be to kill millions.
I'm not against some control of weapons . Guns can be very useful tools for vermin control and target shooting is enjoyable . There's no reason to use a machine gun for either for instance when a bolt action is perfectly suitable. Likewise Stanley knives and butchers knives or even the SAK I have in my pocket are suited to use as a working knife the so called zombie knives are not really designed for anything else but intimidation. As you say there's probably a black market selling those things now and until people's attitudes change bans will achieve very little.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:36 am 

It's purely and simply, as said by others, a knee jerk reaction by politicians.
"We must be seen to be doing something"
Ban this type of knife, ban that type of gun. It won't make any difference to the law breakers. They will still break the law.
Shops that sell kitchen utensils are full of big shiny knives. I read or heard somewhere that the most common knife taken off people is a vegetable knife.
Better ban them quick.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:34 pm 

oops a bit of a typo there it should read

Quote:
I can see the point on banning the sales via the internet of blades over a certain size, but its just going to put it underground and create a black market, knifes are in every home across the planet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:54 pm 

Look what banning drugs achieved.... or alcohol (prohibition).

If people want something they'll get it - but the trouble that is created by banning something has always been worse than the original issue that brought the ban about. Narrow-minded thinking clouded by the desire to be seen to be 'doing something' as usual by politicians that can't string two coherent thoughts together.

It is illegal to knowingly sell alcohol, or attempt to sell alcohol, to a person who is drunk. It is also illegal to allow alcohol to be sold to someone who is drunk. ... anyone who sells alcohol at the premises. the premises licence holder and premises supervisor.

Ever heard of a barman/woman or bar owner prosecuted???

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:47 pm 

i have carried a knife [folder] for over 35 years you know have many people i have stabbed
one me by accident while cutting some rope in the van lesson learnt do not cut down toward your leg while sitting

there should be minimum 15 year for any one shooting stabbing or throwing acid the person dies then life 25 years

ghostrider