DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:15 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Armoured cable
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:55 pm 

How much does armoured cable cost/meter? The line is to be laid to connect an outdoor hot tub?

If all else fails, use 6 inch nails

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject: Re: Armoured cable
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:05 pm 

Depends on the size and length.

What is the total distance from source to Tub.
Have you worked out the volt drop etc.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/ ... index.html

John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:52 am 

I got 3 quotations and they went like this,

300 quid
and

This doesn't reflect well on the pricing ethics and policies of electricians.
I think it is over-charging. It doesn't give the clients much confidence in the tradesmen.

I reckon, materials will be under 100, and the work involved probably half a day, and probably a lot less. There is no digging involved.

I've chosen the one in the middle at 400. The one at 300 looked too young to know what he is doing and the one at 500, a true pro, was from a building company with overheads that I was being asked to contribute to. The 400 one is an independent sparky who sounded like he knew what he was about, so I decided to go with him.
I still think it is over the top for the job.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:28 am 
Pro Tradesman

without answering what EJ asked there is no way we could attempt to give you an idea.

do you want to pay for a whole drum or just a few meters? for £400 i am assuming your run is about 100 meters long in 6mm 3-core SWA. 1 x gland set pack, an and RCBO at source & an MK waterproof switch. all that installed at that length, yes £400 sounds about right :scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:36 am 

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/ ... index.html

For your guidance.....

You may find it cheaper, but this is a useful guide.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:28 pm 

20-25 meters total.
Looked up prices and I see that a reel of 25m costs about 50-60.
Even if all the other bits are another 40-50, which I doubt, I can't help think that I am being taken to the proverbial cleaners.
There is no alternative that I can see. The client wants the job done and it has to be done by an approved bloke. It's a closed shop and there is no where to turn.
It's simple. Market forces. If you don't like then don't do it.
This should be in the Grumpy corner, because it's certainly p****d me off.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:51 pm 

Yes this is a problem with all jobs where the government prevents competition by insisting on standards. On the upside though, we are still alive.

I would run the cable myself and get all the connections etc ready so that the job can all be done in one hour and then call an electrician who charges by the hour and pay him his hour or two hours if necessary to make the connections and test. As you are in a rural area, I presume there are less tradesmen to choose from.

Given that you work in the trades, I am surprised that you cannot get a fair price given the number of jobs you might need to throw their way in future.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:11 am 
Pro Tradesman

it annoys me too because the way it makes you feel tarnishes us all with the same. you are being ripped off and there's no way i would charge that price. a fair job for a fair wage is all i ask, hence me stating that you must be installed about 100M of it :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:38 am 

Rich-Ando wrote:
it annoys me too because the way it makes you feel tarnishes us all with the same. you are being ripped off and there's no way i would charge that price. a fair job for a fair wage is all i ask, hence me stating that you must be installed about 100M of it :roll:

Thats a really honest approach and I found an electrician who operates like you and we are now friends and I have fed him at least £ 15 k of work in the last 12 months.

Electricians and Gas fitters have alot more paperwork and regulation to tackle than most other trades and therefore they are often seen as expensive, especially when you need them most. The way I keep projects costs down is by doing what I legally can to reduce their time spent on the job. That could be lifting all the floorboards and cutting the pattress boxes and chases in for a rewire. The electrician actually makes more per day working this way (and I encourage him to since it saves me money overall.) With gas fitters, I run all the pipework except the gas pipe and he then does that and installs and commissions the boiler. Again his day rate is higher but my costs are lower. They both know that when they come to a job, I will have resolved all the problems I can to make their work easier. I have a copy of the onsite guide so that I can do my best to have the right gear available.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:10 pm 

did a similar job before christmas for a hot tub and a supply to a garage. Did like jozeffo said, cleared the way for him, laid the cable, drilled the holes, put up timber back board for the box etc, so he was only there for half a day doing the connections and did the test etc, charged me 180 , have more work for him too and he's just starting out on his own so that might be why was good price.
edit-that was just for labour