DIY Forum

 

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:05 pm
Visit Hilti


Time zone: Europe/London




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:45 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:48 pm
Posts: 14
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 0 times
I fitted my Worcester 40CDi condensing boiler in 2008 and it’s been “ok”

I don’t want a combi, before anyone asks :)

Since that time (10 years ago) I can’t see boilers have moved on much. This is the era of AI and IoT but I can’t see any intelligent boilers.

I have a large house, lots of rads, lots of u/f heating and indirect water heating. My boiler is a pain in some ways. In the winter I can use all that power, in the summer it can’t modulate down enough. It “works” but it’s annoying as it comes on goes off constantly.

Anyway, only question is: anyone know of any intelligent boilers?


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:24 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 3:43 am
Posts: 2686
Location: North Wales
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 543 times
Opentherm is likely the biggest advance, it is simply the manufacturers have got together (except bosch) and designed a way that third party hardware can control the boiler.

So the TRV tells the thermostat or hub what it requires, all the requirements are added together and the hub/thermostat tells the boiler what temperature to heat the water to.

As to if it actually works not a clue, I have a silly bosch boiler so not open for me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:30 am 
Online
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 3204
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 700 times
Yeah, a combi.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:33 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:45 am
Posts: 1288
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 139 times
It all depends on what you mean by "intelligent". In the Opentherm system the Thermostat is the "master" giving instructions to the boiler, which is the "slave". The only instruction the master can give is the flow temperature. All the slave can do is regulate the temperature to meet the master's wishes. The slave doesn't know, or need to know, how the master determined the temperature; and the master doesn't know, or need to know, how the slave controls the temperature. Is that an "intelligent" boiler?

Incidentally, Opentherm was not invented by boiler manufacturers but by Honeywell, who sold the patent in the 1990's for £1 to what eventually became the Opentherm Association.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:55 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 2854
Location: Kent, Land of Apples and PYO
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 576 times
The ufh should be zoned and on its own controls, and maybe the main heating system split into 2 zones

there are plenty of control systems on the market it all depends what you want to spend - If the house is that large think about a dual boiler setup - the worlds your lobster


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:57 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 10087
Location: Oban
Has thanked: 340 times
Been thanked: 1788 times
Carol Vorderman

_________________
sent from my laptop using my fingers - because we REALLY need to know where it's come from.....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:27 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:37 pm
Posts: 465
Location: Coventry
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 70 times
D Hailsham wrote:
It all depends on what you mean by "intelligent". In the Opentherm system the Thermostat is the "master" giving instructions to the boiler, which is the "slave". The only instruction the master can give is the flow temperature. All the slave can do is regulate the temperature to meet the master's wishes. The slave doesn't know, or need to know, how the master determined the temperature; and the master doesn't know, or need to know, how the slave controls the temperature. Is that an "intelligent" boiler?

Incidentally, Opentherm was not invented by boiler manufacturers but by Honeywell, who sold the patent in the 1990's for £1 to what eventually became the Opentherm Association.

Just to add Dave and hopefully you will agree that opentherm is a bi directional protocol.
As an example, my nest thermostat will show an error if opentherm data is not received back from the boiler.
Obviously, I'm not talking about the error message you get if the (weave) rf link goes down between the thermostat and the heat link. That shows a different error alert.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:59 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:45 am
Posts: 1288
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 139 times
PLB wrote:
Just to add Dave and hopefully you will agree that opentherm is a bi directional protocol.

Of course; but the traffic from boiler to thermostat will be just supplying information requested by the thermostat, e.g current flow/return temperatures, fan speed etc.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:28 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:03 pm
Posts: 6964
Has thanked: 840 times
Been thanked: 933 times
Not that I know much about these intelligent boilers things, I only usually deal in basic controls, but I would have thought the Intergas utilising pin 5 or perhaps the Vaillant iq range, I think that is what it’s called or something similar, would be about as intelligent as can be at present.

_________________
Dave

www.drlgas.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:33 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 2854
Location: Kent, Land of Apples and PYO
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 576 times
We don't want them to intelligent there be smarter than some of the RGI's fitting them :wink:


There is something to said about just going with a simple system - It will still work 10 years down the line when these new systems will be defunct or if it goes wrong 4-5 years down the line its all going have to be ripped out and replaced


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:55 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:37 pm
Posts: 465
Location: Coventry
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 70 times
D Hailsham wrote:
PLB wrote:
Just to add Dave and hopefully you will agree that opentherm is a bi directional protocol.

Of course; but the traffic from boiler to thermostat will be just supplying information requested by the thermostat, e.g current flow/return temperatures, fan speed etc.

Yes, agreed Dave but I thought it useful to others who may read this thread in the future to make it clear that although as you say the stat (master) gives instructions to the boiler it also receives instructions as confirmed by your reply. :thumbleft:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:33 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:37 pm
Posts: 465
Location: Coventry
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 70 times
Maybe an interesting read for the OP and others ?

https://www.intergasheating.co.uk/installer/news/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:45 am
Posts: 1288
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 139 times
PLB wrote:
D Hailsham wrote:
PLB wrote:
Just to add Dave and hopefully you will agree that opentherm is a bi directional protocol.

Of course; but the traffic from boiler to thermostat will be just supplying information requested by the thermostat, e.g current flow/return temperatures, fan speed etc.

Yes, agreed Dave but I thought it useful to others who may read this thread in the future to make it clear that although as you say the stat (master) gives instructions to the boiler it also receives instructions as confirmed by your reply. :thumbleft:

That's not what I wrote. The boiler never gives instructions to the thermostat; it just supplies the thermostat with information which has been requested by the stat.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:37 pm
Posts: 465
Location: Coventry
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 70 times
D Hailsham wrote:
PLB wrote:
D Hailsham wrote:
PLB wrote:
Just to add Dave and hopefully you will agree that opentherm is a bi directional protocol.

Of course; but the traffic from boiler to thermostat will be just supplying information requested by the thermostat, e.g current flow/return temperatures, fan speed etc.

Yes, agreed Dave but I thought it useful to others who may read this thread in the future to make it clear that although as you say the stat (master) gives instructions to the boiler it also receives instructions as confirmed by your reply. :thumbleft:

That's not what I wrote. The boiler never gives instructions to the thermostat; it just supplies the thermostat with information which has been requested by the stat.

Apologies I agree, I used the wrong word in my previous post and meant to say receives "information" instead of instructions.



For this message the author PLB has received gratitude : D Hailsham
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:35 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 3:43 am
Posts: 2686
Location: North Wales
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 543 times
There are other things boilers can do, one is an outside sensor to alter things, as to what it alters I really don't know, likely water temperature.

I have read where some boilers can modulate more than others, think mine is 6 kW to 24 kW however how it works with multi items on the output I have found can really miss lead. If the boiler had a bar graph showing output you would know what it's doing, however all the user sees is running.

My son was convinced his boiler was not big enough, what was happening was all his lock shield valves were wide open, but once system was running the TRV's would close so every radiator took what it needed, however switch off and restart 8 hours latter and all the water went through nearest radiator and returned to boiler hot so boiler modulated, hard to explain to some one why turning down radiators makes the house warmer.

Most zone valves are open or closed they don't gradually open or close, so one zone can reduce boiler output to another, it can get rather complex, I would say if it works leave it alone.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

 

 




Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO