DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:13 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:06 pm 
Newly registered Member

I have a 14 years old Vaillant AquaPLUS which needs a new heat exchanger and maybe a storage tank, and have been advised it is not worth repairing. The person who checked my boiler, highly recommended the ATAG boiler, as he is a registered fitter I think. I have never heard of ATAG until then.
I then came on this site and learnt about Intergas, which I have not heard of before but they are highly praised on this site. My dilemma now is which is best for me.
ATAG boilers can only be purchased by a registered fitter, so it's hard to get a price. He quoted me £2100 fitted. I've had no trouble whatsoever with my Vaillant until now and am tempted to get another as it will probably fit easier with flu and pipes etc.
Can someone please help me decide?
Thank you
Graham

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:23 am 

I used to fit the original ATAG boilers, but from what I understand they are being sold by a third party now and personally I wouldn't fit them.

You will be relying on the chap fitting it for service/repair in the future.

Out of your two choices I would go for an Intergas every day.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:31 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you very much. That has cleared things up for me a bit. I have seen some reviews about ATAG boilers and it sounded to me like they were very good for the person fitting them, but, perhaps, no better than some other boilers for the consumer. Also they are very expensive, even though they have a ten years parts and labour guarantee. I've had my Vaillant for 14 years and never needed a call out apart from servicing so I would have wasted the money if I had taken out a ten years warranty with it.
Also it is very hard to find the price of an ATAG boiler, as they can only be purchased by a registered fitter.
I haven't seen one single negative comment on this site and other websites about Intergas, so I think I will be going with them.
Once again thank you
Graham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:23 pm 

grahamb88 wrote:
I have a 14 years old Vaillant AquaPLUS which needs a new heat exchanger and maybe a storage tank, and have been advised it is not worth repairing.
Graham

This surprises me somewhat, (I'm not a heating engineer), my boiler is a Vaillant and is now ten years old, it's had a new expansion vessel and one other small part (about £25) that I can't remember the name of, but I don't think I'll be thinking of changing it in just a few years time. It's serviced every year by the same guy who fitted it, (costs me very little for that in comparison to some figures I see).

Have boilers progressed that much in the last ten years that replacement of a 14 year old boiler is more economical, or is it something else?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:14 pm 
Newly registered Member

When I first got my Vaillant boiler, turning on the tap produced almost instant hot water because it has a 15 litre storage tank. It was brilliant and has been for 13 years or so. In the last year or so, the water hasn't been so hot instantly and when showering the water fluctuated from hot to warm and cold and back again. And there were small bluey green particles in the hot water,
The engineer who checked it said the storage tank was probably caked with limescale or similar or it was from the heat exchanger or both.
The storage tank is right at the back of the boiler and it would have to be removed from the wall and completely stripped down to get at it, and I've had a look for these spare parts at Vaillant and other places but can't find anything matching the part code in my installation guide, so probably can't get them anyway and if I could get the tank it will probably cost the earth.
I emailed Vaillant about this but I have not had a reply.
I'm very disappointed the boiler hasn't lasted longer. It has been a good boiler up to now and looks as good as the day I got it. I'll think twice before I get another boiler with a storage tank, unless it's easy to get at.

For this message the author grahamb88 has received gratitude : ayjay
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:24 pm 

grahamb88 wrote:
When I first got my Vaillant boiler, turning on the tap produced almost instant hot water because it has a 15 litre storage tank.

Thanks for that: obviously a different boiler, mine doesn't have a storage tank, (I still have a HW cylinder in an airing cupboard).