DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:02 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:21 am 
Newly registered Member

Hello everyone I'm new to this form :) And iv got a questions for use in looking for apprenticeship in multi skills so like joinery plastering pluming etc I'm already a fully qualified paint and decorated at the age of 19. witch iv just passed my level 3. 3 months ago I'm wanting to learn a few more trades for my future but iv been told not to do a Multi skills apprenticeship as you only learn the basics but they said pick one trade and stick with it witch I thought either joinery or pluming as they said the money is not as good in multi skills maintenance as it is in one trade ie joinery or pluming I was wondering if any of use could help me with some info about maintenance etc and witch root I should take the skills I was wanting to learn where painting and decorating plastering tiling pluming and joinery as I thought if I could do them I would have more of a change in the future of work plus that's what I was wanting to do in my future when I went self employed etc. does anyone also know of the yearly salary? Any info will be a help thank you

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:34 am 
Jack Of All Trades

Hello and.. :welcomeuhm:

For this message the author Gadget has received gratitude : Wild95
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:48 am 

:welcomeuhm: Wild95.

For this message the author breatheasy has received gratitude : Wild95
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:54 am 

:welcome: :hello2:

www.drlgas.co.uk

For this message the author gas4you has received gratitude : Wild95
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:55 am 
Newly registered Member

Gadget wrote:
Hello and.. :welcomeuhm:

Thanks for the welcome I see your from close by me I'm from County Durham and was wondering would you have a answer for what I said in my post^^

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:30 pm 
Pro Carpenter

heeelllooo and welcome Wild95 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

no one can say really
be prepared to make a loss or poverty wages for the first 6 to 12 months taking up to 24-30 months till you get to a point where you feel the wage is covering cost and gives you a small return
in year 3 when your established you have a good reputation then you will make the decent money
it may off course happen quicker or even slower for you i dont know but you need to be realistic
word off mouth and reputation makes you known

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : Wild95
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:18 pm 
Newly registered Member

big-all wrote:
heeelllooo and welcome Wild95 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

no one can say really
be prepared to make a loss or poverty wages for the first 6 to 12 months taking up to 24-30 months till you get to a point where you feel the wage is covering cost and gives you a small return
in year 3 when your established you have a good reputation then you will make the decent money
it may off course happen quicker or even slower for you i dont know but you need to be realistic
word off mouth and reputation makes you known

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:30 pm 

:welcomeuhm:

Speaking as a Handyman (read jack of all trades) then around here I can charge £120 as a day rate...

A s/e plumber/electrician would easily get double that (If they are any good)

My advice would be to pick a trade that you are good at and stick with it..

Having said that a plumber than can tile to an acceptable standard/make good plaster etc. is likely to get a job over one that can't. unless we are talking site work.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:52 pm 

:welcomeuhm:
There is no such thing as a multi skill apprenticeship. A proper time-served apprenticeship is 4 years duration whether it is in plumbing,plastering,electrics,roofing,bricklaying or painting and decorating.
Like wine-o has said,pick a trade,serve your time and then see if you can pick up some basic tips from other tradesmen.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received thanks - 2: Dave54, Job and Knock
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:46 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for your help every one. I was wanting to be like a handy man because of all the trade and thought the more trade the better change of get more jobs/business's for when I went self employed years on like iv already said in a fully qualified paint and decorated but I was thinking if I could also do plastering/tilting then they would need a paint and decorated after the plastering been done then thought joinery as they might want flooring done doors hanging etc then thought plumbing for people who need there plumbing so was kind of thinking down them lines lol but got told by one my college tutors before I left college they said the more trade u have the more change u will have to get a job as why would they want to hire loads of people and pay there wages when they could pay one person to do it all haha but it's hard to get apprenticeships these days around my way anyway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:52 pm 

If you've already spent 4 years training as a painter and decorator I'd stick with that and try and gain as much experience as you can. You must enjoy doing that as it's obviously been your first choice?
You can always pick up some basic skills in other trades as time goes on but I wouldn't waste what you've already learned in decorating by going off in different directions.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : Wild95
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:54 am 

As steviejoiner74, said, an apprenticeship is 4 years, so if you went on 4 apprenticeships that would be 16 years later you had finished.
Also in general people will ask an electrician to rewire a property, a heating engineer to install heating, a plasterer to plaster the walls, yes it will cost more, but it will be quicker since there will be 3 people working not just one - you.

I would also suggest that if you intend to work self employed, where by you send written quotes for work, that you get some one to proof read them before you send them, since a few spelling mistakes and grammatical errors could mean you do not get the job you are quoting for.

Welcome aboard.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:24 pm 
Newly registered Member

All apprenticeships if been looking at are 3 years like joinery or pluming 3 years but multi skills is two year then a year of one thing so say joinery

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:25 pm 
Newly registered Member

steviejoiner74 wrote:
If you've already spent 4 years training as a painter and decorator I'd stick with that and try and gain as much experience as you can. You must enjoy doing that as it's obviously been your first choice?
You can always pick up some basic skills in other trades as time goes on but I wouldn't waste what you've already learned in decorating by going off in different directions.

It's only a 3 year course but I don't wanna be stuck doing paint for a living as rather have few trades haha my first choice was joinery then pluming but both were full up so went for paint and decorating I might see if I can do joinery or pluming then see if I can get some work with some one on the side on a weekend maybe to learn some skills in ther things just god I thought if I had a few trade more ££££ and more business my brother a roofer landscape gardener and does fencing and he doing alright when I was younger I was wanting to do landscape gardening but then realise it's only a summer thing really. Before I got the job I got now I use to work for this bloke doing his house up as he bought it as a project i did a bit of joinery bit of painting plastering tiling etc that's what made me wanna become a handy man might sound daft but that's when I though bingo I wanna do this as a carer the best thing about it was I got payed and enjoyed doing it lol but now I do the od bits and bobs for people who I no or friends who no some one who wants some it doing think I need to have a bit think

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:53 pm 
Old School Chippie

Wild95 wrote:
All apprenticeships if been looking at are 3 years like joinery or pluming 3 years but multi skills is two year then a year of one thing so say joinery

Joinery, or more correctly carpentry and joinery used to be 4 or 5 years, followed by at least a year as an improver or journeyman before you were considered "fit for purpose". Even then you spent years building up a toolkit and gaining the experience needed to be a competent tradesman. I often work with guys who've done 2 years at college with limited time on site and then in the same environment (e.g. new house builds, etc) and when it comes to doing anything even remotely complex, or involving hardwoods, or removing/renovating older stuff they are often absolutely flummoxed by the job, or don't have the tool kit, or both. Sorry if that doesn't sound positive, but that's how I feel about my chosen trade (joiner)

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

For this message the author Job and Knock has received thanks - 2: Dave54, steviejoiner74