DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:28 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

Bit of a painting novice here looking for some advice on applying F&B exterior eggshell (No.26 Downpipe) to fascias, soffits and window frames. The wife is dead set on F&B but I'm going round in circles trying to find a decent solution for applying this (which will last and not flake off within a year or so)!

The exterior woodwork is currently covered with Sadolin Extra durable woodstain - Jacobean Walnut (I found an old tin in the garage that matches the colour on the house). It's in good(ish) condition on parts of the property, but quite a bit of the paint has peeled off on the south facing side.

I had planned to:
- Sand down the woodwork to remove any loose/flaky paint, greyed wood and take the sheen off the sadolin. Clean with cloth soaked in water or meths
- Apply 2 coats of dulux trade weathershield preservative primer (+BP) to any areas of bare wood (is it best to do this on the bits here and there that are bare, or can it be applied over the existing sadolin as well?)
- Apply 1 or 2 coats of dulux trade weathershield quick dry exterior undercoat (apply 2 if 1 coat doesn't seem to be sufficient). White or dark grey (or maybe a mix of both)
- Apply 1 top coat of F&B (hopefully 1 coat)
- Give it a light sand between coats

At first I thought the above would be okay as I was doing some prep and then sticking to water-based system for all coats, but on doing some more research I'm not so sure!

I wasn't planning on using a knotting solution as the area has been previously painted, but is this required for areas sanded back to the bare wood? If there are any holes, etc., I'll fill these.

I've also read (not just on the F&B website) that it's better to use F&B's own primer/undercoat - but I'm keen to avoid that if it's not necessary.

I've also looked at products like Zinsser primer/sealer to cover up the sadolin and give a surface for the water-based coats to take to. But not sure which product to put on after this.

Any advice is eagerly awaited! Before my hair goes grey before the woodwork does! :?

Many thanks

Steven

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:56 pm 

I'd go for Zinsser 123 first then F&B primer undercoat for the colour change and it's best to keep to a system especially on outside stuff then eggshell. You will need 2 tops I'm afraid, used this colour recently and it begs for a second.

For this message the author Desmondo15 has received gratitude : steven84
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:36 pm 

I would use superdec mixed up to tha farrow and bolocks colour

For this message the author spottie has received gratitude : steven84
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:25 pm 

Either the sadolin superdec, as it's self priming,

Or

1 coat of zinsser coverstain and two coats of zinsser allcoat exterior.

All tinted to farrow and ball colour as already mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

For this message the author fitzy has received gratitude : steven84
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:09 am 

Quote:
I've also read (not just on the F&B website) that it's better to use F&B's own primer/undercoat - but I'm keen to avoid that if it's not necessary.

All companies recommend you only use their products, for obvious reasons. There is another reason why you should: if the product fails, and you haven't used their recommended system, then you don;t have a leg to stand on if you want to make a claim.

If you haven't already bought the paint then I would recommend you follow Fitzy's advice.

In my experience, there is usually one of three reasons why people want F&B paint: 1) snobbery, 2) a particular colour, or 3) they perceive it must be a better product because it costs a lot more.

There's no solution for snobbery but you can usually find a colour from another manufacturer that is so close that hardly anyone would notice the difference and there are better products available for a lower cost.

For this message the author Tom d'Angler has received gratitude : steven84
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:33 am 
Elephant Man

F&B exterior eggshell is actually one of the better offerings from that company. The pack sizes are a bit limited, but otherwise it's sound, and stands well. Depends on how set on an exact colour you are.

I know there's different advice from everyone, but there are normally several ways to go about things, especially exteriors. Just to throw my tuppence-worth into the mix. 2 things.

1. I be quick about whatever you intend to do, as winter is coming. Anything water-based may take a while to dry outside just now.
2. I'd go with Jotun Demidekk Ultimate. Excellent opacity and long life-cycle, though over pre-painted surfaces this may be reduced

All this said, the advice given by others here will all work equally well. :thumbright:

For this message the author dynamod has received gratitude : steven84
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:02 am 

I liked the finish in the downpipe tbh. Getting used to multiple layers anyway.

Not a fan of Allcoat (wb) on fiddly areas but bigger areas is very useful. Also have heard that some of the colour mixes have had issues?? Anyone here have that?

Superdec is great if your patient with drying times - which will be extended at the moment.

For this message the author Desmondo15 has received gratitude : steven84
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:54 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, really helpful and I've got a much better idea of the way to go now! :thumbright:

Yes Dynamod, will get my finger out and get it done asap before the weather turns!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:47 pm 

Desmondo15 wrote:
I liked the finish in the downpipe tbh. Getting used to multiple layers anyway.

Not a fan of Allcoat (wb) on fiddly areas but bigger areas is very useful. Also have heard that some of the colour mixes have had issues?? Anyone here have that?

Superdec is great if your patient with drying times - which will be extended at the moment.
I'm using superdec today on some new and existing fascia boards, and you're quite right about the re coat time.

Thankfully I've got other stuff to do inside because those times are very limiting if you've only a small area to do.

The suns shining and it all feels dry, but I just darent risk it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:48 pm 

dynamod wrote:
F&B exterior eggshell is actually one of the better offerings from that company. The pack sizes are a bit limited, but otherwise it's sound, and stands well. Depends on how set on an exact colour you are.

I know there's different advice from everyone, but there are normally several ways to go about things, especially exteriors. Just to throw my tuppence-worth into the mix. 2 things.

1. I be quick about whatever you intend to do, as winter is coming. Anything water-based may take a while to dry outside just now.
2. I'd go with Jotun Demidekk Ultimate. Excellent opacity and long life-cycle, though over pre-painted surfaces this may be reduced

All this said, the advice given by others here will all work equally well. :thumbright:
I'll make a note of the Jotun. Sounds good gear.

For this message the author fitzy has received gratitude : Desmondo15
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:36 pm 
Elephant Man

Expensive and a bit of a brush killer, but my word, its good. :shock: :shock:

For this message the author dynamod has received gratitude : fitzy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:41 pm 

dynamod wrote:
Expensive and a bit of a brush killer, but my word, its good. :shock: :shock:
When my apprentice came out of his time he went to New Zealand for almost a year, and said that the hot summer weather and using waterbased enamel paints didn't go hand in hand, and they regularly threw brushes away as they were knackered in no time. [WHITE SMILING FACE]