DIY Forum


Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest


DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum




It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 1:40 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:48 pm 
Newly registered Member

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 pm
Posts: 3
Has thanked: 1 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Are there any finishing foreman on here, if so what paperwork do you need to be one? Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:34 am 
Old School Chippie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm
Posts: 6325
Location: Lancashire
Has thanked: 808 times
Been thanked: 1616 times
When talking in terms of main contractors you'll normally require a CSCS trade card (site carpenter - gold preferred, blue minimum) plus SSSTS as well as possibly a 3-day First Aid as well. Additionally a lot of larger sites/contractors have started to demand a manual handling ticket (RoSPA, etc). For working at height on a MEWP an IPAF 3a/3b is needed whilst if erecting/inspecting scaffolding towers a PASMA ticket would be needed, When working on refurbs of buildings built before 2000 (i.e. refurbs) it's normal to expect all workers to hold UKATA Asbestos Awareness, but certainly at least the foreman will require it. There are other items which different firms may or may not require, such as Working at Height training, etc. If using power tools which require extraction (e.g. sanders, planers, saws, etc) there is a requirement for a face-fitted P3 dust mask to be worn, so you may need to have a face-fit test done with the mask you intend to use. In law a site supervisor must be capable of writing a risk assessment and method statement from scratch. BTW under current CDM Regs you are no longer a foreman, but technically a "site supervisor".

Some of these tickets are renewed annually (e.g. UKATA), some every 3 years (e.g. 1st Aid) and some every 5 years (e.g CSCS, SSSTS, IPAF, PASMA, etc). So at times my life seems to be a constant round of renewing tickets (at least this year has been)

I know that there are some here who'll voice the usual complaints about this all being a money-making scam, but the point is that without all this stuff should you or an employee you are responsible for (cards-in, agency or subbie) have an accident the HSE can come down on you pretty heavily, more so if you are not appropriately qualified whilst being in a position of responsibility (it takes appropriate knowledge, experience and proof of training to be a "competent person" in H&S law). It's worth noting that the HSE is more often than not going to write you up in such a case and charge you £129/hour for the privilege of doing so (as well as possibly doing the same for your "site manager") as these days they are self-financing.

"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"Success is 99% failure" - Soichiro Honda

Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 



Similar topics

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics




News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy



Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group