DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:06 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Amtico advice needed
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:16 pm 
Newly registered Member

Need some advice on fitting around 4m square of Amtico Signature flooring. My sister has had a major falling out with a builder and they have agreed to end the contract. Most of a conservatory extension has been built and almost finished except the last bit of flooring. Unfortunately my sister is a little hot headed and could not wait until the flooring was finished, hence the builder stopped 4m short. I have fitted some Amtico as a diyer in my old kitchen, but that was years ago when the adhesive was solvent based! Times moved on, but I think I can manage the last bit of flooring and finish the otherwise good job the builder did.

I will be using Amtico HT adhesive on the conservatory floor that was levelled with a self levelling compound by the previous builder. Nothing has ever been put on top of it whatsoever. What is the recommendation for a primer I can use prior to tiling? Eg. PVA, diluting ratio or another product. I don't know anything about the floor other than it's flat and light grey. Unsure if anything has been put on it before. Should I leave altogether and tile straight onto it, or is there a something that will do no harm, doesn't matter if makes no difference not to use.

The nail heads are sunken into the ply and there are two joins. I've spoken to a chap who sells Amtico and he said feather finish over the nail heads and gap, then go over the whole lot with F Ball stopgap p131. Sounds good to me, but would like some other opinions. Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Amtico advice needed
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:59 pm 

When my son had a Karndean floor laid in his kitchen extension it was on a largely a concrete floor. The guy who laid it was a very experienced fitter and he poured a self levelling compound and fitted straight on that when it had dried. There is a square yard of chipboard floor on a transition area which takes the most traffic into the room and this was laid in the same way with SLC and the tiles fixed to that. It has been down 10 years now and there have been no problems at all with lifting tiles.

DWD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:43 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks. All the levels are flat and I can't add to the top layer, even a few mm, as the new height will be a noticeable bump/level to the rest of the existing floor. So I only want to fill the gaps and "paint" a coat of something over it. Perhaps a primer is unnecessary, but as I have it, can't do any harm to put it on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:32 am 

As I understand it a primer on any substrate will be to prevent the SLC sucking the adhesive dry before you have time to lay. From memory they used an adhesive that was solvent based and it stayed active for quite a while to allow getting the tiles down, which I think shows there was little absorption and it bonded like a sandwich filling between the two surfaces. The Karndean they used was a complicated layout of tile shapes and thin 'grout lines' similar to this https://www.flooringsupplies.co.uk/viny ... l_flooring and this took time to lay.

I do not know if the adhesive has moved on in ten years and the solvent stuff has been replaced with water based. It had that lovely smell of solvent weld. So I advise you check the adhesive guidance before proceeding. Good luck.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : seneca5
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:44 pm 

:welcomeuhm:

Don't use PVA as a primer no matter what. The adhesive manufacturer will specify what, if any primer is required.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : seneca5